1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deveney] Donatas Motiejunas suing Rockets and NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 12, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not a **** block to me. BJ wrote those incentives wrong, so Morey pounced on it as a highly favorable contract should he pass the physical. BJ then tried to **** block Morey for his own mistake, by exercising his rights to refuse to show up for the physical, and force a rescind to make DMo an RFA.

guys like DD and bbballholic were calling BJs maneuver brilliant to **** block Morey like that

malakas and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

everything the Rockets did was legal under the cba rules.

3. basketballholic

LOL

4. opticon

opticon Member

Dmo should have just taken the 5 mil QO and earned his way into the rotation. JJ Redick was the starting 2 guard for the clippers and only made 7 million last season while both his backups made more than him. You did not hear a peep out of him all season. Now JJ is going to get paid.

Dmo is a dolt.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

But how does the whole throwing out the matched offer and writing a new contract factor in? I'd never heard of such a thing... I thought it was you match or you dont - period...
    OW couldnt every team just make an agreement with their RFAs... then send them out to get offers and sign offer sheets - tying up other teams capspace during a crucial period... only to resign for whatever amout the team and player had originally agreed to?
    Wouldnt that negate the whole 'poison pill' aspect for signing RFAs - original team could say - cool, we'll give you all the money, but we're gonna restructure it... since NBA contracts are guaranteed the player wouldnt have an issue with it...

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's true except when the player refusies to show up in 48hrs for his physical, much like how you can void a trade for failure to show up.

What many of us didn't realize at the time, until Larry Coon chimed in, was that the Nets contact becomes void if the incumbent team can rightfully rescind it. Otherwise if not reporting can result in the new team getting the player, then the player and new team have an unfair advantage by just not reporting when matched.

Rescinding results in returning to RFA like the Nets never happened.

I don't want to get into what happened with the second contract. We still don't really know. The league might have blocked it. It isn't for certain he failed the physical, as reason was never made public

malakas and kjayp like this.
  7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Between him and the Greek McGrady, maybe the European system create some coddled and entitled "pro" players as well.

8. omgTHEpotential

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They did not match the full contract and you know it, they matched the LEAST amount possible they could have matched it all - but they wanted leverage to get out of that 2nd year guarantee on March 1st.

The Rockets played Hardball - DMo should have taken the QO - but in the end, the Rockets matched, then seemingly unmatched him - and whether he failed a physical or not is up in the air.....IF a settlement is imminent as reported, then there is some culpability.

They will settle - no one will admit anything wrong and DMo will be a FA.

AND EVERYONE IS RIGHT we could have used him this year....big time. He would have THRIVED in D'Antoni's system......both sides were prideful and idiots.....

DD

HP, I never said he was smart for what BJ was doing, I always said he should have taken the QO. Don't lump me in there.

#69 DaDakota, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Little Bit likes this.
  10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I feel like suing the Rockets after that abortion last night.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

good for him. i hope he wins or the rockets settle just for the goodwill towards future free agents the rockets will court. otherwise players and agents will only see the rockets stopping a guy from getting paid by another team.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Donatas stopped himself from being paid by "knowing his rights" and not show up to the physical.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He did that because Morey matched the minimum instead of the full offer to try to leverage away from the March 1st date, it was a dick move, then it is still a dick move now.

Not illegal, just a dick move.

And ANY settlement means that Dmo was right, and he was screwed over by the league, the Rockets or both.......

DD

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

But he never dunks. It's not accurate. What about Hookin' Donuts?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Donatas is the chick we had a short fling with and who never became close to wife material.

And here we are, still talking about her.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  16. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

We can sign him as have him be our 8th man in the playoffs if we really want to get him back.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Fake NEWS!

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He wants to sue to get money because he knows his value is sunk permanently. He wants to claim the lost money he would have been signed for if they didn't tank his value by failing his physical. He will argue there is not enough evidence to fail him and bring in experts who will agree with him.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dmo should sue his own dumb ass. he should've took the season off and worke don his back and game, join some pro leagues in spring/summer, then get a 1 year deal next season where he has a good chance to secure a good contract in '18 offseason.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is always a loophole and Dmo's reps are searching for it to use it against the organization.

Morey did try to lowball enough players. I cannot say I am rooting for him any longer.

He might not have done it with Dmo but he also did not let him go easily.

Let's say I am about the team and the players. Morey does not represent the Rockets fully.

He thinks he is a God GM and hidden coach who can make trades happen and place a system and playbook for the team. He is out of his mind.

He thinks he is doing the right thing but FAs are taking notice.

#80 daywalker02, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017