1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That would be interesting to watch - MDA with WB and a bunch of shooters but won't happen any time soon.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

If you look at the stats it is close between Harden and Westbrook. Westbrook has 2 more rebounds and 1 point more, Harden has an assist more and much better efficiency. But if you factor the overall wins Harden is the deserved champion.

I think Harden is the real MVP, but I would not be upset if Leonard won it. Because every year winning is rewarded in the NBA. But this year they suddenly make an exception. That is what is so infuriating.

2015 Curry MVP over harden because of record
    2016 Harden not in any all NBA team because record
    2017 Record does not matter Westbrook MVp because of individual numbers.

If they stayed consistent I would not be this upset.

On top of that Westbrook showed this series how high numbers do not necessary mean a great game. He had many points rebounds and assists. But he hurt his team with his many missed shots. I do not support rewarding chuckers who do not win and Wesbrook is a chucker. He really is turning into a more extreme version of Bryant at the end of his career.

I truly believe that one of the reason the thunder struggle without him on the floor (and the reason why many thunder are hesitant to shoot in the fourth is because of how the thunder are playing all year. You have to trust your teammates in order for them to perform (one thing Harden is doing this year). The thunder have great defensive players they should not be this much worse than Houston. If you switch the Harden and Westbrook and they continue to play like they are playing now I truly believe Houston would be worse and OKC better.

Daddy Long Legs, Zboy and Tha_Dude like this.
  3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

"I think Harden is the real MVP, but I would not be upset if Leonard won it. Because every year winning is rewarded in the NBA. But this year they suddenly make an exception. That is what is so infuriating."

******* right. I can cite you the list of every single MVP since 1970, and there is one common denominator- no team was lower than the 3rd best record in the NBA. Not one. And you had players with historic and spectacular seasons who did not win.

Now, it's let's change the criteria. Horseshit.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Indeed. On top of that it is not like Harden's numbers are not historic. How many people have averaged 29-11-8? Harden has the combination of numbers and record. But but Westbrook numbers are so round....:mad:

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Statistically, his teammates are having years on par with previous for their careers - so it's hard to make the argument that somehow they have become dependent on him when he's on the bench. We had a similar problem with Harden when there wasn't a secondary playmaker last year.

Westbrook might actually be better than Harden and if you put Westbrook on the Rockets the Rockets might be actually a better team. That's not to say that is definitely the case, but it is a possibility. I know that will piss some people off, but the thing is, that's even an insult to Harden. The bigger downside to Westbrook isn't that though - it's that other superstars don't want to play with him. Westbrook just naturally dominates the ball - not that he is selfish, I think it's just his personality to be the hero. Harden is more ego driven than Westbrook, which is in a way better because egos can be adjusted when the greater good is shown - but you can't fix people's natural innate tendencies.

The other thing is - when it comes to the MVP award itself - it's not a merit based award. It's never been. It's always been the better story. The better story always gets the MVP.

Look at things from a story perspective

2015: Curry becomes the most exciting guard in the league and leads GS to an unexpected 67 win season
    2016: Harden can't play defense and his lack of focus leads Rockets to become .500 - not deserving of top 6 guard spot
    2017: Westbrook has magical triple double season.

These are the stories that dominated the headline - or in the case of 2016, prevented Harden from having a positive headline ever told about him. Awards are about narratives. If there were merit based, you would not need a vote. Once you see the MVP for what it is: the Most Valuable Story - then you shouldn't be annoyed with Westbrook winning it. This is how the award has been for every season for the past 30 years.

RocketsTruth and Wylo like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lou has played well overall for us in these playoffs. Glad to see that but Ginobli just illustrated what we were saying @Vivi

Vivi likes this.
  7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And what about the 5 playoff games where Ginobili had 0 points?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

what bout them?

he still is doing what we said and that's just being that experienced player that you can rely on to make decisions in crucial playoff games despite where he is at this point of his career. absolutely nothing wrong with that. like i said its relative

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Not really. He's had plenty of stinkers in these playoffs. One great game doesn't change that.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

it sure does. if you can't see the value in him then you just don't understand what championship experience and decision making really is and how important it is when it comes to games exactly like last night.

And btw it just isn't one "great game" that it came into play. Your box score watching will never let you know that as well as the stubbornness

Vivi likes this.
  11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Look at Ginobili's production in the first round. If we had him instead of Lou Williams, would we still be in the playoffs?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

look at what I addressed. i said its all relative. and ginobli is illustrating what his value still is which is the point right now which again your stubbornness won't let you see

I already acknowledged Lou. there's no reason to bring him up here bc that's not what is being talked about.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Of course it is. You quoted and responded to my answer to the question "who would you rather have....Ginobili or Lou Williams?"

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gino is a better Prigioni at this point and Prigs did help us out in the playoffs.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yet no where in my response when i re quoted did i say i would choose lou over ginobli but you're trying to make it seem that way. This was more to the point of how valuable ginobli is able to be in the playoffs and not what you can only see in a box score

16. Fantasma Negro

James Harden is not the MVP because HE DOES NOT ****ING DESERVE IT!!! Lock this b**** up already

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

My advice to you is to choose your quotes more carefully next time. What I said had absolutely nothing to do with your assertion so there was no need to quote it.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't really need to. your post basically started the questioning of Manu and that's why it was quoted. He still has plenty of value like I said. Simple as that

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You really do. My original quote had absolutely nothing to do with Ginobili's value in a vacuum, yet that's the crux of your argument. What you're doing is called a "strawman argument".

Answer me this. Going into the playoffs, would you rather have had Ginobili instead of Lou Williams?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Answered here.

It's pretty much relative. if you need just a scorer Lou is probably the logical choice but as far as crucial decisions on making the right plays in critical playoff games the edge goes to Manu for me

that's just my position on what i would want based on my own team because they're two totally different players right now.