1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Celtics offseason

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigMaloe, May 8, 2017.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

What do they do? What happens?

They are sitting on a likely top 3pick. They will have Max cap space and a lot of roster decisions. A good movie of solid youth and solid vets.

They have multiple picks going forward including '19 1sts from Memphis and Lac. '18 unprotected Brooklyn pick again. All their 1sts going forward and am immense stash of 2nds.

Do they blockbuster? Or play the lottery game with picks? Are they able to add a max player?

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm not sure what is best or what they will do. But it's very obvious if their GM plays it right they are set up for the next 10-12 years.

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I'd make a move for Paul George or Butler with that Brooklyn pick.

Pen15clubber, da_juice and BigMaloe like this.
  4. BigMaloe

I predict a blockbuster offseason for ainge. I think he fully cashes in like he did with Garnett and Allen.

After announcing rights and expirings they will have room to swallow salary via trade.

I think they swing for both Butler and George at once.

Boston gets Butler/George

Chicago gets jaylen/zeller/top3 pick/'18bos 1st/'19mem 1st(top8 protected)/

Indiana gets smart/crowder/'18 bkn1st/'19lac 1st

Might not even need to use all of these assets.

End with a lineup of

Isaiah
    Avery
    George
    Butler
    Horford

Built to dethrone LeBron

BigShasta, da_juice and Vivi like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think they will try to add a star definitely, maybe two (not sure right now but i think they can still do it this summer, next year will be more difficult cause they'll have Thomas, Bradley, Smart expiring) so, Hayward, George, Butler, maybe Griffin or Millsap? These are the names they will try to sign/trade imo.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I kinda agree overall, just i don't see Geroge + Butler, not sure they would fit well together, but that's just me...Hayward + George or Butler, or one between Hayward/George/Butler + Griffin or Millsap i'd say.

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. BigMaloe

I understand that. I think there is some alpha dog issues with that type of collection.

If they could sign Hayward outright I think they would much prefer that and then trade for Butler and hoard as much assets as possible.

8. txn

txn Member

If they have the chance to draft Ball, for some reason, I feel that if they want to come out from the East in the next 3 - 4 yrs, it's better they trade IT away for a decent / top 5 center, then sign Haywood / George if possible. IT is great and had a MVP type of season, but don't think that they can build a champion team around him over there.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Exactly, only because of that i don't see George + Butler but yeah, i still agree with your point overall (2 big names) and who knows, i can easily be wrong here, maybe they would be fantastic together, it's just a feeling i have about them.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. BackdoorHarden

They are going to make a big trade with all their assets and cap room.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Are you Darrel Mobley?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think they are fools for not getting Cousins. At the price Cousins went for, they could have easily had Cousins + PG13 or Butler with the kind of assets they have.

They should go all in on Butler or PG, sounds like Butler might being staying in Chicago so they should focus in on George. Greed is the only thing in their way from acquiring the players to really contend in the east, they already blew a huge chance with Cousins a superstar who went for a package well below what they could have comfortably offered.

They also have a max cap space open this offseason, but outside of Griffin and Hayward their isn't too many players in the right age group they should be looking to dump their money on (like they somewhat foolishly did with Horford). Their GM needs to start moving with those assets and cap space before it crumbles underneath him, they have a chance to build a super team but they might end up having to scrap their current team (Thomas/Bradley/Horford/Crowder) to rebuild around their draft picks if they can't sign or trade for any stars.

BigMaloe and BigShasta like this.
  13. BackdoorHarden

Hi, my name is Darrell

[​IMG]

14. malakas

malakas Member

Everybody here thinks that they are set for the future and so on but I don't see it this way.
    First of all this year will be the last summer they will have max capspace. But the only stars in FA are Griffin and Hayward.
    Secondly they can't afford to pay both IT and Bradley.
    Both these guys are severely underpaid their whole carreer and there's no way they will accept a discount to extend early. That means that next year they will have to pay both 20+ million per.
    So Ainge imo will look into trading one of them.
    But for IT his trade value is highly variable and needs special circumstances for him to fit in a team. So I don't believe that Ainge will find the value he is looking for.
    The means that the most likely to be traded is Bradley. I think there's 80% chance he is traded this summer during the draft.

Smart is up for extension and the latest by next summer he too will need to get paid. At least 15 per the lowest.
    Then you also have Olynyk and Amir.

The Celtics frontline is weak and can't rebound to save their lives. So not sure if Ainge will want to pay them but will need to find a good C or pf.

Now I don't see Griffin leaving LA to join Boston.

So imo their offseason plan will be :
    Trade Bradley during the draft for a low lottery pick. Or package also Smart and bring back a higher pick.
    Use their top 3 pick on a guard. Draft a C or pf with their other new pick.
    Go after Hayward.

For their frontline I don't know what they will do. Good luck with that.
    Ainge was stupid not to trade for Noel.

Chamillionaire, Deuce and BigMaloe like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

The ship on Butler has sailed.
    He's not going to get traded for the near future. GarPax have managed to save their job with their two wins, and Reinsdorf noway he decides now to sacrifice his playoff money to commit to a rebuild. No way. Plus Butler went to the press and said that enough with all the trade talks and he wants to stay with the Bulls.

That leaves George that if Ainge goes after him, the most likely result will only be that he will raise his trade value. So the Lakers instead of getting him for free will have to give a minor asset.

16. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

They already had a chance @ deadline. Ainge is an idiot

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

They won't even trade ANY of their good picks. They'll try to contend with FA signings and megastar draft picks. Ainge is too stingy to trade away any of his assets, unless its for a lopsided bargain like the Isaiah Thomas trade.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

IT
    Butler
    Hayward
    George
    Horford

19. BigMaloe

The reason I say they are set up for the future is what you just claimed kinda.

They are dealing from a position of over abundance. Even if they don't make a blockbuster trade they have a top3pick and a very likely high pick again next year. So they are building thru the top of the draft while being competitive. They have players to trade for more future assets, like Avery you mentioned.

So it's like having a team like Minnesota or Philly but also being an almost contender. That's very bright.

I agree on missing out on this past deadline. I also agree that ainges own greed is his downfall.

malakas likes this.
  20. Normalus

Normalus Member

Klay Thompson would fit great on this team. They don't need another ball handler.