1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We cannot stay with our 8 man rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, May 3, 2017.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

release THE TREZ!

rocketsmetalspd and Tomstro like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

More important question is how many times did Kawhi move that pivot foot tonight, amirite?!? And Someone (Nene) needed to give Simmons a welcome to the NBA playoffs love tap, or two.

3. Asian Sensation

Here's a multiple choice question.

1-0 series lead, down by just 5 points heading into the 4th quarter when you can take a commanding 2-0 lead. Which player starts the 4th quarter on the bench getting 'rest'?

A) Michael Jordan
    B) Russell Westbrook
    C) James Harden
    D) Kobe Bryant

4. basketballholic

Anderson simply not good enough to play 5. Leaves us way too weak in the middle.

DRB 60.5% last night. Automatic L in the playoffs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201705030SAS.html

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Answer. All of the above are resting to start the 4th. I think you're making that up that any of them start with a 1-0 lead. . WB only started the 4th in the last game, by design with more rest at end of 3rd.

Not sure if you are aware, MDA has been playing Harden all 12 minutes of the 1st Q and 3rd Q all season long. Every single game, mind you.

This is his rotation. All those other players started their rest with like 2minutes left in the 3rd and typically never start the 4th, rather just come in sooner that Harden.

DonKnock and Astrodome like this.
  6. heypartner

We did that for just 2 minutes of the game.

DonKnock and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. basketballholic

The one player that rested the whole fourth quarter was Nene. Figure that one out.

8. heypartner

It's truly not that hard to explain.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So you no longer intrigued by Anderson at the 5?

10. basketballholic

Nope. He simply too bad defensively against playoff teams to overcome anything he gives us offensively at the 5. In fact he's so bad defensively that we need to limit his minutes at the 4, even when his TS% is 100%. We can't get him the ball enough to overcome what he's giving up defensively.

I've seen enough. No sense in continuing to try to make it work again. At least for this series, Anderson should only see minutes at the 4 alongside Nene at the 5. The Spurs will continue to destroy the Capela/Anderson combo and the Anderson and non-bigs lineups.

#30 basketballholic, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  11. heypartner

Every time someone says Ryno is playing the 5 vs the Spurs I wonder if the game moves too fast for them live or they didn't watch the game.

Ryno played the 5 for two minutes last game and zero in the first game. We only did it when the 4th got out of hand and desperation with five three point shooters isn't uncalled for.

Ryno played the 5 vs OKC, because Kanter sucks and sometimes they went centerless themselves with Gibson or Grant as their "big". It isn't happening in this series.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. basketballholic

8-0 in those two minutes. He shouldn't play one second at the 5.

13. bigred77

bigred77 Member

I agree with the part about Anderson struggling to play the 4 when the Spurs go small at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th.

We might have to play Ariza at the 4 during these stretches (which we don't want to do because we want him to mirror Kawhi's minutes) or we have to give Dekker or Williams a few minutes. I'm curious to see what D'antoni chooses to do.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The Wiltjer will be unleashed!

15. heypartner

2 minutes total in two games, in the middle of a 19-0 run. I don't think it's a game plan to worry about. Seems to me MDA agrees with you, no?

I'm glad I was able to point that out to you, since you seemed confused that he was the 5 more often, probably from how fast the game moves and your memories of Ryno at the 5 vs other teams going small like OKC with Gibson or Grant in round 1. It happens. If you have further questions about what is occurring on the court for clarification, you can always tag me. I'm glad to help dispel post-game falsehoods

16. BigTex

BigTex Member

17. basketballholic

No, he keeps trying to counter with Anderson at the 5 when he gets desperate.

Wasn't confusing about it at all. I know it's not going to work against the Spurs. They're too smart and will iso him defensively. In the few minutes he's played 5 I've seen enough. It's not a solution, at least for this series.

I may do that sometime. But that would be after you get help with your sobriety.

18. heypartner

What do you mean, no? I said he agrees with you, by only doing it in the one rare time in 96 minutes that nothing was working in the midst of an 19-5 run with 6 mins left. As you said, desperate times.

I can further explain how that collapse is commonly responded to by the best of coaches by removing their non-shooting Big for a shooter or scorer. More than happy to if you're still confused by that common desperation strategy.

Just trying to qualm your fears, since you said "he keeps trying it" when he didn't do it in the 13-2 Spurs run earlier...sticking to plan.

yeah, hit me up when you need help understanding what coaches are trying to do in the game in front of you. I can clear up a lot of your confusion.

Oh and I think you're confusing me with Batman Jones, who shared that and you like to make fun of him for it...which is weird, btw. I suppose you made fun of Rudy T, too.

But, it's not my place, and won't interfere with me helping you expand upon your scratching-the-surface level understanding of basketball offenses and defenses. That way you can focus more on your random trade ideas and draft predictions.

#38 heypartner, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Time for Harrell maybe, to be inserted for 5-6 minutes, and Troy Williams for Ariza at the 3,when he is on the bench. When Harden is struggling, Gordon should take his place. When Lou is playing poorly, Bev needs to come back, even if he needs a breather.

20. basketballholic

No. I didn't know batman Jones had that problem. And no I would never tease him about it. But I would you.