1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the left helping Trump unwittingly?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Apr 21, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Is the right not helping Trump because Trump is not crazy enough?

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Will the right ever claim responsibility for their ****ups?

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is the attitude that leaves the left wondering how and why they lost to Donald Trump. I believe the single incident that had the most impact in the election was when Hillary called Trump voters deplorable. A politician can not insult voters. And when voters are busy insulting each other and calling each other unintelligent, common ground and compromise will never happen.

Terms like alt-left and alt-right do not help the situation. The reality is each side has about a 20% voter base that will vote R and D no matter the candidate or situation. This is the 40% that often have the largest sway in poor candidates. These are the ones who got Hillary and Trump nominated. These are the ones who the parties pander to the most on matter that matter the least. For the right, its stupid things like building a wall on the border; For the left, its the TG/bathroom issue.

You have another 20% each that are die hard supporters of their respective party, but could be swayed if the right opportunity presented itself. Georgias 6th district current special election is an example of this. There are those who wondered why the Republicans ran 18 candidates. The Republicans knew if they only put up a couple candidates, they would lose to Ossoff simply because of the Trump backlash. By putting enough candidates out there, it gave independents and slight leaning R's plenty of choices to retain the R vote and force a runoff in which they hope much of the Trump backlash will die down once the runoff approaches. The 2016 election should have been a landslide for either party if both parties didn't let their respective dimwitted extremist do the vote.

The remainder 20% are the natural independents. No matter what is said about either side, they are the ones who elect the president. They are the ones who elected Trump. These are the ones Hillary ignored.

Goldburg is right. The 60% rationale are tired of listening to the 40% extremists dictating politics and insulting them. The average American is not stupid or deplorable, regardless which side they lean. They recognize the MSM and overpaid stars do not represent the average Americans thoughts.

cml750 and sugrlndkid like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow the right is getting desperate.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How does that have me wondering why Hillary lost? I know why Hilary lost and Trump won. The political climate Trump thrives in put both candidates in the mud which favors the right in a mud fight. The deplorables comment??... the 538 polling data is pretty pointed that the comey letter/email scandal the week before was a defining moment for her numbers dropping significantly.

Regardless we aren't here to relitigate the election. Everyone has their theories and most of them involve blaming the other side. There is this notion that Dems just don't understand Trump voters and we just snubbed our noses and thought Trump voters were dumb rednecks which is nonsense. I'm surrounded by Trump voters all day long. I know them pretty well and what drove Trump to victory.

The fear machine on the right is a powerhouse that wins them elections and keeps their base engaged. Trump beat that agenda over the head till he was blue in the face because it's what they wanted to hear. It's a damn good political strategy and while there are more Dems in the US, the right is much better at playing poltics.

I'm not insulting anyone by stating the obvious that their worldview is different than those on the left. Doesnt make me hate them and I sure as hell wouldn't be pointing my finger at "the right" if he lost. Fear is a big part of that and I understand those that have this world view. It's just not for me.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is no rationale human being that will deny Hillary lost was because of Wi, Mi, and Penn. If anyone believes for a second that Hillary lost those three states because of Comey vs over her lack of economic issues in those three states, they belong in that fringe extreme left category. Those who gave a **** about her email scandal made up their mind a long time ago. Comey had little to do with it.

Actually its not nonsense. The hard left and MSM remind us daily how stupid Trump supporters are for electing him to office. Its pretty straight forward....the average American is fed up with career politicians and their self interest of survival. They would much rather gamble on an erratic Trump than a guaranteed loss with with Clinton.

And this is what drives me nuts about the left. They (rightfully so) claim of a fear machine on the right, but the left has one just as powerful. From day one, they painted Trump supporters as bigots,misogynist, xenophobes, homophobes and every other deplorable 'phobia' they could come up with. This is what infuriated the anti-Clinton group. They simply did not like her policies and it was very insulting to accuse them of being deplorable who hated minorities simply because they refused to vote for a corrupt and indifferent career politician.

You further expound on this by claiming there are more democrats than republicans. Unless you're a mindless drone who straight ticket votes, there are those who find it insulting to believe they are incapable of voting for a candidate that best suits them and/or the country instead of blindly voting for a self serving party. Just because a person votes for a candidate doesn't make them a life long supporter of that party.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Has anyone lost more credibility, aside from the buffoon Trump, more quickly than Spacey? Ho boy.

London'sBurning likes this.
  8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

A plurality of Middle Americans and Southern whites wasted their vote on flimsy priorities, short memories and ideological spite. Everyone warned them Trump was a bad outcome and they chose him anyway, now they're admitting in their own critique of the left that he was a mistake.

mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Incorrect actually. Less people voted for Trump, so, factually, he was more unlikable.

No Worries likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Elected an idiot because you don't like the left? Talk about not only not willing to take any responsibility, but admitting you rather fk yourself and everyone because of your hate. Yes, I believe there is some truth to this.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The left's machine is reactionary to the right's? How can you not see that? The right's fear machine is centered around what the 'other' will do to them and the left is fearful of that the right's giant vagina but succumb them to making horrible decisions that will effect the 'other'.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

? Trump's already put in place a high quality Supreme Court justice, he's implemented common sense environmental regulations, has improved business confidence (and send the stock markets to record highs), and now about to unleash a pro-growth tax cut.

Only those who watch MSNBC and CNN think that we're not off to a strong start.

13. No Worries

You are delusional, but we knew that.

I think that we should all brace ourselves for that pro-growth tax cut tsunami. Any minute now.

14. No Worries

With Trump's 41% approval rating, MSNBC and CNN must be doing good business, i.e. doing good "fake news" business.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Take it up with 538 and Nate Silver. I trust their analasys over yours as to why Hillary lost. There are a lot of factors of course but who cares at this point? Other than Trump and his voters continuing to wanting to prove some sort of point that I don't understand.

To your second point- Trump supporters are showing that they have just as thin skin as Trump does. Nobody thinks you are a bad person cause you voted for Trump. Sorry Space but stop acting like a victim please. Trump voters need to realize that a criticism of Trump is not an attack on them. Feel secure in your vote and be honest about what he's doing right and wrong.

Also newsflash... Fox News IS the MSM. It's the #1 news station. Just stop with the whole whiny "the big bad media" is out to get me. It's self victimization to justify your position. You are not a victim.

To the last point- It's a statistical fact that people whose ideals alighn with liberal values far out number those with conservative views. Again more than 3 million people voted for Hillary in a suppressed election.

I'll happily vote for a republican in a normal Circumstance if they are the better candidate but now in 2017 I find it hard that anyone wouldn't straight ticket vote for the fact that it affects control of the house and senate where powers are kept in check at the executive level. Voting for a better candidate for congress doesn't matter because we have a problem to solve at the higher level with unchecked power and corruption. Down ticket voting is more of a thing because of that rather than your point that "forget party, vote the best guy or lady". I wish the political world we lived in was that pure.

But to my point space I don't hate you cause you are a Trump voter and I doubt most do unless you openly said stupid racist, sexist, xeno Trump things. I don't mean to be harsh here but it's time to stop playing the victim from the proverbial "they" (liberals and the evil media). Your GOP driven media sources are creating a propogated make believe enemy to keep you feeling the way you feel which keeps you a motivated voter.

As a prophet once said..."if you are afraid of wolves... don't go into the woods".

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I will vote for whoever Antifa supports. I like masks and limiting speech.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And only human garbage like you who thinks Obama "isn't really black" because he "interacted with whites" growing up and went to a "white college" are desperate enough to pick an overtly corrupt and unqualified ******* like this to keep your shitty, dated views relevant.

mdrowe00 and peleincubus like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hillary was considered more "likable" in California....but not in the rest of the country where it mattered. So much so that she lost states that seemingly ALWAYS go blue. I mean, that overall popular vote narrative might make Hillary feel better about herself, but it doesn't really cut it when scrutinized because running up the vote in one single state doesn't make up for what happens in the rest of the country. A Democrat that lost Michigan is pretty much as bad as a Republican that lost Texas. You'd have to be a total screw up for those kinds of things to happen.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course each voter in California counts just as much as each voter in any other state. So discounting the popular vote because the votes came from California isn't really valid.

Of course strategy wise, the popular vote doesn't matter as long as you have enough to win the most electoral votes. And I agree that Hillary was a total screw up.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, they don't, in fact every voter that votes for one candidate over the 51% threshold means absolutely nothing at all....and it's the same in every state. Every single person in California could vote for one candidate and that candidate wouldn't get even one more electoral vote than they would if only 51% of the state voted for them. Now if every single person in California voted for one candidate, it would ensure they won the overall popular vote....but it still wouldn't matter because as you pointed out, the overall popular vote means nothing at all.