1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Exactly. He's the future of the NFL. I hate that Jerry was lucky enough to get him

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He went into a ready made offense with a great o-line and a top 5 RB; this season we will see if he has a slump or not losing two of their starting o-line guys

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when Randall Cunningham was "the future of the NFL"?

Remember when RG3 was "the future of the NFL"?

Remember when Colin Kaepernick was "the future of the NFL"?

Remember when Cam Newton was "the future of the NFL"?

I hear those words thrown around a lot, and almost always inaccurately.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Putting superior in the same sentence as Matt "Brick Shoes" Schaub is comedy at its best.

Fulgore likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's true though. You can focus only on the bad and block out all of the good if you like, but there was a time that he was one of the best QB's in the NFL.

6. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

ale
    2 of the above 4 have been to a super bowl - (actually Newton
    you always comment
    can you tell us which QB you like in this draft? what you want the texans to do at QB in your opinion.
    you have takes on all the QB's that are mentioned by other poster, just curious on what type of QB you are looking for

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like you need some work when it comes to posting comments, but it's okay, you are a rookie still.

As to what you are saying, I don't care if a QB happens to be on a team that went to the SB....that's not really an individual accomplishment. Hell Trent Dilfer WON a SB, does that mean he's awesome? Rex Grossman was on a team that went to the SB, was he the "future of the NFL" at any point ever? No, of course not.

As to who I like in this draft at QB.....well I don't really like any of them. It's a super weak QB class and in a good QB class, likely none of these guys would have any chance of going in the first round. As it stands though, I think the best of the class is likely Mahomes. He's got by far the best arm talent in the class and if a coach can teach him how to play football, he could be a good starter a few years from now.

Of course that said, when you are talking about a weak QB class like this, you might as well put names on a wall and throw a dart blindfolded to pick who you go after. It's possible that none of these guys ever turn into a starting caliber QB because for sure none of them are that their first season in the NFL. They are all projects.

8. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

haha- yea i need some work, just started posting so dont know why it posted like that.. I will get better at posting.
    To me Watson would be my pick - i wouldn't be mad if they picked mahomes, but think Watson could turn out to be like a Mariota.

9. Fantasma Negro

Yeah, still is

Fulgore likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What worries me about Watson is his REALLY slow throw speed. It just seems like he'd be serving up passes to be picked off easily at an NFL level. He's got some things to work with like a really quick release and the ability to scramble, but I pick Mahomes' arm talent over that every day.

I dunno about that man, sure he had the one regular season where he looked awesome, but everything before that and everything after that was between mediocre to hot garbage. He's got a career completion percentage under 60% and >90 QB rating....if that's the future, it's not a bright one.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Uh...Cam is arguably the best player in the game right now. Those words get thrown a lot but don't think Cam and Randall support your argument.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No he's absolutely not. I'm not sure if you realize what year it is, but Scam is coming off of a 52% completion percentage season with only 19 TD's to 14 interceptions. Blake Bortles outplayed him last year.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

True but Schaub cursed the Texans. Ever since he left they've been bringing in clones of him every other season.

14. Fantasma Negro

He's had only one down year because of injury other than that he's maintained an average of 86.1 passer rating, completion percentage hovers around 60%, his td-int ratio improves every year and on the eye test he is one of the most dynamic playermakers in the league, he's like a younger Ben Rothlisberger with better mobility. I don't know why he gets such a bad rap, the biggest knock on him is he doesn't take losing well, who does, would ppl rather he does no interviews at all?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He really only had one "up" year if you are looking at his numbers honestly.....and right now that's looking like a fluke.

16. Fantasma Negro

Bobby stop looking at the glass half empty, how do we know he wouldn't have duplicated his 35td season last year had he not been injured. He had a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder, that effected everything he did on the field. I think we should give him this season and see if he can play like an mvp again but I've watched a lot of his games for the last six seasons and in every facet of the game he's is as good as advertised, he's the real deal

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Remember just a few seasons ago when Foles, Cutler, Kap, and Dalton all had better ratings than Tom Brady?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO you are looking at a glass with 2 drops in it and trying to say it's half full.

The reason we can say he probably wouldn't have duplicated his 35 TD season is because he never came close to that before, that is looking like just one fluke season. Now if he has a second season like that, then we can talk, but right now.....yeah Scam is who we thought he was.

Yeah but Tom Brady had a long career of success to fall back on. Scam has one good regular season then a bunch of meh and garbage.

19. Fantasma Negro

He's made the playoffs three out of his six years, every time he's carried his team there they've gone further. His touchdown numbers improving were not an anomaly he gets better every year, unfortunately he tore his labrum week one against the Broncos and played the rest of the season hurt so last year was a down year. Bobby I might have to have you over this season so you can watch some Sunday ticket games, you sound like a nation media pundit right now

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Arguing team success when the strongest thing that team has going for them is defense is pretty foolish. Hell the Texans have made the playoffs 4 of the last 6 years, does that mean that the Texans have had great QB play? Of course not.

We'll see how this season plays out, but if you look at his career, Scam isn't one of the top 10 QB's in the league and arguably not top 15.