1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 4/16/2017 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I guess I don't praise when it's evenly distributed or a well called game...I suppose I'm a homer and only see it when it goes the other way but damn, am I the only one who thought the Rockets played 5 on 8 and still whooped dat ass? The elbow to Capela, Adams flooring Bev, various non-calls a pretty egregious one on Lou and on plays in the Rocket's paint then basically every ticky tack foul they could blow to keep OKC in the game....I don't find Ariza as an overly complainy or whiny player and he was very clearly telling the ref you're calling bullshit. Pat was pretty demonstrative over a couple no-calls. Rockets just ground and pounded em, OKC had no answer...even though they're the bigger and better rebounding team they got worked on the boards. They have the more visible star player and he got owned by a try-hard. They stopped the air-raid 3 attack and lost by 30.

This basically got billed as the headline game for round 1. The prime time slot. And instead of media giving due credit or even remotely acting like OKC just got mud-holed out behind the shed....it's like, well here's how they come back. Come back? Come back to earth, they're outmatched and the Rockets are an elite team that's about to sweep em.

Take away the Roberson outburst of shooting and that scrub banking one in...Thud-ners wouldn't even have scored 80. Say Westbrook goes off...say oladipo goes off or Adams resembles a huge man working against smaller ones at some point...The Rockets didn't play well AT ALL....and scored 118. Bev probably not going off like that every night...but Ariza can. Gordon can. Lou can go nuclear and drop 30. Did Ryan Anderson even score? Capela got 14 or so right? If they stop him AND Nene in a given night I'd be surprised. For all the Adams/Kanter better front court talk they sure got owned on boards and points. Does Kanter even get playing time now?

ramotadab, Fyreball, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

now youre stat padding , you wanna get tripel double?

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

each of those deserved its own thread, there's just too many for one person to handle. :eek:

BigMaloe, hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Rhyno is a defensive juggernaut!

Chanmarr, BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lou will be okay. He's a scorer and a veteran he will watch the film. I think Gordon will be better next game too.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The argument doesn't work when you get blown out by 31points and Patrick Beverley outshines you, too. Article is nothing more than another transparent attempt to justify their bad MVP votes

And they do this while doing a disservice to fans who want to talk about the playoffs and read articles about what the Rockets are doing to win and how they could be a legit threat in 2nd round ... no talking basketball at all. I mean, even give us stuff about what adjustments OKC needs to make, if you want to focus on them. But not spinning Game 1 around MVP chatter.

7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Ok Clutch, please upload playoff intro video

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This please

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

All of those cakewalk drives Harden had were a result of them playing Anderson tight and consequently having no help defender at the second level. :)

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bev steal less than 4 minutes into the game, after making his first 2 threes.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I was half-expecting this game to follow the regular season script:

1. Fairly even for the first 15 mins
    2. Rockets go on a run and have a sizeable lead by halftime
    3. Thunder cut into said lead thanks to Westbrook and some laughable calls
    4. Rockets end up winning by a close (but only on the surface) margin

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You mean last 2 games?

15. j@amc

j@amc Member

The greatest problem with the "weaker cast argument" is Westbrook's 9 turnovers.
    I can't remember* the last time a single player in the playoffs turned the ball over 9 times.
    To have shot as low a percentage as he did and be that careless with the ball had a lot to do with why they fell lost.

There's a clear experience gap in the OKC supporting cast, but they weren't the ones giving the ball away. Westbrook was.

Keep in mind that the entire Rockets team only had 11 turnovers. Harden had only 2.

[*Well, I couldn't resist. I had to look it up. I didn't want to remember that Harden turned the ball over 13 times for the most turnovers in an NBA playoff game against GS on May 27, 2015.]

#1975 j@amc, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    BigMaloe, DonKnock and Remlap like this.
  16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thunder looked outclassed, and I don't think it was because the Rockets played their usual "air assault" type of game. Actually the three point barrage didn't really happen. It was a strong inside game that saved the day. The Rockets also cranked up their rebounding and inside defense. To me, Nene and Capella were major factors. Where was Ariza? L.Williams and Gordan continue to misfire and so did Ryan. If those three get going, it could get really ugly. Harden was his usual super star self, and Beverly was amazing. Hope he can "walk" the next game. That hit took a toll. Thunder will come back strong in game 2; they were really embarrassed.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

insert whinin blonde gif...its always mvp mvp mvp

#1977 hakeem94, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought they did a great job running out our threes, almost every shot was contested. Good thing Harden stepped up and started taking it to the Rack. Nene was amazing last night, so was Ryno on the boards. The team last yea would have given up

ak99999, BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Rockets play defense like last night.

Then we beat SAS.

They are better than the WCF Rockets team.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

You make a good point. I forgot to give Ryan his due on the boards. He was part of a very strong inside game.

ramotadab, BigMaloe and Patience like this.