1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

United volunteers to kick people off plane

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YuleC, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Are you still going to try to defend United position. They admitted they were wrong. Just give me it up man.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

so how much moneys did the guy get? or is he still recovering and won't take it up to court till later?

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I miss typed the number (its actually 1350) but yes we received two checks from United for $1350 each. The law states that if you're involuntarily bumped, you should be given a sheet with your rights and most importantly one of those rights is the option to receive any compensation in the form of a check.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Involuntarily bumped? Or volunteered for the money? If no one bites on the money, and they have to involuntarily bump, does the money offer go away? Or you still get their last offer?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My position is pretty well documented as neutral here. UA could have taken a few extra steps to ensure voluntary removal, that much we know (although I have no idea what the breaking point is for cost-benefit there), and Dr. Dao could have handled his arrest/detention much more peacefully and cooperatively. I'm not an expert on the law of aviation/travel, so I can't know whether UA violated any rules or protocols. If they did, shame on them and they're gonna pay dearly for it. (If anybody has updated links or news on this, please post as I may be a bit behind.)

The main culprit here in my eyes are the very anti-consumer laws we have for travel in this country. Provided UA was following those guidelines/laws, and even if they weren't, those rules are still a total joke and will lead to more situations like this in the future.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

He knew exactly what he was doing, and it's going to pay off big time.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

He will get seven figures easily, good pay day for him.

Jontro likes this.
  8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Involuntary bumps have set rules on compensation. If you're involuntarily bumped and they can't get you on another flight in I believe 2 hours, then you get up to 1350. In theory the airline has an option to pay 400% of your ticket or $1350 but many times 400% is at least 1350. Involuntary bumps also have rules that allow the customer to request a check instead of a voucher.

Voluntary bumps have no rules so the airline can manage bidding however they like. So basically if no one volunteers, and the airline just "randomly" picks people to involuntarily bump, the FAA rules kick in and you're entitled to a check for up to 1350 or 400% of your fare. And if you ask nicely, the airline will usually give you a hotel/food voucher/transportation voucher/etc..

#588 geeimsobored, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    heypartner likes this.
  9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

At what point was his behavior "bizarre"? Before the beating, when, by all accounts, he was calmly refusing to relinquish his seat? Or after he was assaulted, knocked unconscious, and dragged off the plane?

Asian Sensation likes this.
  10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When he ran back onto a federally protected plane after being removed the first time.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you're accusing a 69 year old man of "bizarre" behavior after he was beaten and knocked unconscious? And you think that's a fair criticism?

Asian Sensation likes this.
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

"LOL" comparing this to the civil rights. At least Hitler didnt throw people off planes, right? :rolleyes:

When it comes to flying, you don't have 'rights'. This has absolutely nothing to do with politics or social issues. Quit trying to make it one. If you think a company violated its policy, take it to a court. Don't throw a temper tantrum.

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Pretty sure he was running in joy from the millions he is gonna get.

heypartner likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Certainly an offense but there's a reason why the man wasn't arrested or will be charged for this.

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm saying United had nothing to do with hurting that man. That was a security issue.

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah he gonna get paid. He'll be set for life after this.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I disagree.

Let's say you're walking on the street. A random woman tells a cop that you stole her purse (which you didn't), and the cop tackles you. Wouldn't you agree that the woman was involved in you being tackled?

Similarly, United must've told security that they had a justifiable reason (which it sounds like they didn't) to remove the passenger, right? Otherwise, security wouldn't have acted. So how can you claim United had nothing to do with hurting the passenger?

19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I suspect that being in a family full of doctors and a doctor himself, and at that age he was already set for life.

20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

he has personal investment by holding United shares so he will be biased on United side. there's no point in arguing with him.