1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady makes Hall of Fame on April Fool's Day (Rudy snubbed again)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL! Desperate times for McGrady apologists!

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually you're the desperate one, you still can't say how a first ballot HOF is the the worst loser in NBA history.

In fact, you bringing up his team record to judge Tmac's own individual performace is actually the desperation, I guess you can't stomach the fact that Tmac is a good player on his own right so you make up all kinds of stipulation that don't mean ****. If Tmac was really as bad as you keep saying he is how come he's a first ballot hall of fame? Are you smarter than all the judges who voted him into the HOF the first year he is eligible? LOL this is ridiculous some anonymous poster is actually calling Tmac who is in the top 90% of all NBA players ever the worst loser in the NBA based on some arbitrary metric he just decided is more important than anything else. I'm sorry but that's not how the world works, just because you say it doesn't make it true.

What has tmac got to be desperate about? This thread is all about how awesome he is that he's a first ballot in the freaking hall of fame, you're the one who can't accept you can't say Tmac has never won a playoff series before and you can't nitpick on him anymore that's why you just attack me saying I'm desperate. It's cause you can't say ****. Please :rolleyes:

#242 roslolian, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    daywalker02 likes this.
  3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

That doesn't really make sense. If all his motor functions have been eroding, then logically, the reason for his increased assist numbers would be increased usage, not increased skill.

In any case, you've essentially acknowledged what I asserted....that he never improved during his tenure as a Rocket.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Great times for hating attention seekers~!

roslolian likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? Physical ability is different from skill. If you scored 20 pts a game when you are in your prime but still scored 20 pts a game when you are slow that means your skill improved to compensate for your decreased athletic ability.

Yes usage rating can also account for increase production but if you look at Tmac's usage rating over the years his peak was in Orlando not in Houston, again suggesting that his skill improved because he maintained the same production despite slightly lower usage rating in addition to his deteriorating health.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgratr01.html

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Tmac must have screwed his GF or whatever or he was disappointed because he had too high expectations.

This actually kept Tracy revelant on this board before it was clear he was a first time HOFer.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also everyone who watched the Rockets back then noticed that Tmac didn't enjoy the Rick Adelman offense because it was a motion offense. He preferred the JVG ball in his hands all the time offense.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Can you give an example of such a player?

Also, physical ability and skill may be different, but they're highly correlated.

I'm only talking about McGrady's tenure with the Rockets. His Orlando years are irrelevant. Also, your argument is fundamentally flawed because you're assuming improved skill without actually proving it.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it's an upmost disrespect to say that the 1995 team needed Maxwell to quit to be inspired. It is more accurate to say that they were strong enough to overcome the distraction that was Maxwell pouting and then quitting.

To be honest, even though Max was instrumental in winning the '94 championship, I never forgave his antic until a few years ago when he came out and gave the ugly departure a sort of closure to the Rockets organization and the fans.

If McGrady came out and admitted his lame moves toward the end of his Rocket career, I would forgive him too. But I really doubt he will do that. MadMax and TMac are two very different personalities.

Oh, BTW, I will never forgive Scottie Pippen even if he begged for forgiveness in his death bed. :p

Deckard, tinman and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lol yah i dont have an opinion cause I didnt see it. Im just trying to hear the opinions of ones who did.

I dont view it as disrespectful to have the opinion that my dad and roomates have though. Humans are humans and team sports are littered with stories of teams playing better and taking off when a distraction or a guy with a bad attitude leaves the locker room

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell felt worse than any fan about it because those were his boys and it ate him up for years that he would never show up to the Rockets games or anything related to the Rockets.

Maxwell telling Clutch he regrets what happened is pretty much apologizing to every real Rockets fan on Earth. This is because Clutch is the best Rockets fan of all time and he represents us.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In a way, his quitting ended the distraction and in that sense it was a good thing. The quitting itself was a distraction, but it was better than prolonging the pouting. He could have ended it in a more professional and unselfish way--by quitting pouting, not by quitting the team, playing the role the team needed him to.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

You need to see this if you haven't seen it

Also if you think about it through Max's eyes, you can somewhat justify his anger.
    He lost his starting job after helping the team win a title and also they didn't renew his contract before any of this happened, so that was also in the back of his mind. He pretty much explains it in the documentary.

He was a very emotional guy, if you insult a player like Tmac now, he would just ignore you, guys like Maxwell and Ron Artest would smack you.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I did as well. I've said on this board multiple times that, to me, the turning point of the entire playoffs in 1994 was Vernon Maxwell, 2nd half, game 3 against Phoenix. If Mad Max doesn't do his thing, and we're down 3-0, we're not winning the championship, period. I give Vernon Maxwell the #2 spot as the most important player on that 1994 team.

I forgive players for transgressions unless they're so egregious, and they've been with us for a short period, that they really don't even feel like Rockets to me. Scottie Pippen is not a Rocket. Vin Baker is not a Rocket. Charles Oakley is not a Rockets. That's just my opinion.

I think, at certain times, McGrady, Harden, Horry, and Barkley have failed us with apathetic approaches to certain things, whether it be in-game quitting, uninspired play, lackadaisical defense, or not maximizing potential. I have let it slide with all of them. They're Rockets, to me, and if any of them enjoy success, I am happy because they represented my team. Anything that any former player does to make my team look good is great in my book.

Congratulations, Tracy McGrady.

Easy likes this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

Can you please direct me to any member on Clutchfans that is saying McGrady should not be in the HOF?

Please also provide any member who's trying to take away his HOF induction?

Unless you've been living under a rock I'm sure you're aware of the heat that such HOFers as Barkley, Karl Malone, Stockton, R.Miller, etc etc get for never leading their respective teams to a Championship. Everyone knows that these players are HOFers, but the conversation comes up (
    Before you start telling people to get their facts straight why don't you take your
    What is this fairy tale playoff series victory against the Lakers that you speak of that never happened?
    Dreams that you had DON'T count!!!

Also McGrady contributed as much as the water boy while with SA in the playoffs.
    He played a grand total of 31 minutes in six games and was 0-7 from the field.

Zboy likes this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I don't give a rat's ass what Maxwell apologized for or owned up because he is still (and will forever be) a sorry ass POS QUITTER in my book. He needs to go somewhere and STFU. McGrady isn't in the same category of low-life scumbags. He's just a never-was who somehow slipped into the HOF.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Agree 1000000%.That team had "The Heart of a Champion" - something Maxwell knows nothing about.

I didn't fall for his so-called "apology" then and don't now. As far as I'm concerned, he's a POS just like Pippen.

Now you know how I feel about Maxwell. I hope he winds up with Bud Adams...

Easy likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because his body could not move fast around like it did in Orlando.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

More like he wanted to jack the ball up as much as possible like he during the JVG years.

He was averaging around 21 FG attempts during JVG, then the last year of Rick the Ruler, he was only jacking it 14 times a game

Code:

Season      Age  Tm  Lg Pos   G  GS   MP   FG  FGA  PTS
    2004-05      25 HOU NBA  SF  78  78 40.8  9.2 21.3 25.7
    2005-06      26 HOU NBA  SF  47  47 37.1  8.7 21.5 24.4
    2006-07      27 HOU NBA  SG  71  71 35.8  9.0 20.8 24.6
    2007-08      28 HOU NBA  SG  66  62 37.0  8.3 19.8 21.6
    2008-09      29 HOU NBA  SG  35  35 33.7  5.4 13.9 15.6
    2009-10      30 TOT NBA  SG  30  24 22.4  3.0  7.8  8.2
    2009-10      30 HOU NBA  SG   6   0  7.7  1.2  3.2  3.2
    Career                  NBA 938 703 32.7  7.2 16.4 19.6

6 seasons       HOU     NBA 303 293 36.7  8.3 19.7 22.7
    4 seasons       ORL     NBA 295 294 39.4 10.1 22.7 28.1
    3 seasons       TOR     NBA 192  53 24.7  4.2  9.4 11.1
    1 season        DET     NBA  72  39 23.4  3.2  7.1  8.0
    1 season        ATL     NBA  52   0 16.1  1.9  4.4  5.3
    1 season        NYK     NBA  24  24 26.1  3.5  9.0  9.4

Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 4/3/2017.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Hey guys, keep it coming. List of fascinating ones so far....

-Jordan quit too
    -But he defended in Toronto
    -Hey look! He did make it to the second round. So what if he was riding the pine those two times he did. Technically he did make it!
    -But the loser has made millions
    -He had shitty teammates in all 8 series
    -God
    -American culture

Very good ones so far, I have to admit..

If we compile them all we should be able to answer one of the greatest mysteries in NBA history...

"Despite being one of the most awesomest and talentest players to grace this planet, why couldn't Tracy McGrady lead his team past even one of the 8 NBA finals......Err first rounds?"

#260 Zboy, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017