1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Day 25-man Roster predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Commodore, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think y'all are underestimating how much Marisnick will play. Hinch has already said that Aoki will sit against lefties and that he will deploy Reddick against only certain types of lefties. Since Gattis will likely be catching against lefties, it pretty much means Marisnick will always be in the game against a LHP, which is 50-60 games. Also, he will need to play CF anytime Springer needs a rest, so another 30-40 games. I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't get 300+ PA this year.

Marisnick just turned 26 and so is entering his physical prime this season. It is unlikely he will make a dramatic improvement in hitting, but with his defense and base running if he can post a .650 OPS he will be a heckuva player (career ops is .607). I'm fine with him being a heavily used fourth outfielder.

That said, I'm also okay with shortening his leash, since between Gurriel's ability to play LF (with White/Reed/Moran able to take over 1B) and Teoscar and Laureano as high ceiling CF capable RH bats available in the upper minors, there's no reason to keep running him out there if he isn't providing adequate value.

#181 Snake Diggit, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marisnick barely got 300 ABs last year with being the third best OF regardless of pitcher handedness as Gomez sucked and secondbest hitting against LHPs. Springer was only hitter in OF last year that was at least average. 150-200 seems more likely.

I've not seen Hinch say Aoki won't play against LHP. He has said something like he has options OF such that he could play Beltran, Springer, Reddick one day and Aoki, Marisnick, Springer the next. With as many LHPS out the, I don't expect Reddick will sit, unless banged up, against a RHP.

#182 Joe Joe, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Springer won't get 30-40 games of rest. He played all 162 last year so unless he's hurt, Marisnick won't get 30-40 games in CF

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Jake may be entering his physical prime, but he still can't hit enough to justify 300 ABs on this team.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Marisnick starting in CF just means Springer moves to RF, not to the bench.

awc713, Snake Diggit and texans1095 like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

This is a crazy, batsh!t crazy idea, but we could wait a couple/three weeks and see what [the manager] does.

DudeWah likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Surely you dont mean that the clutchfans consensus wont be what happens?

DudeWah likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Discussion about a baseball team in a (sub) forum about that baseball team...what has the world come to? We all should go to our porch and shake our fists in the air until this stops.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

no White or Reed

Uprising and DudeWah like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't see Aoki automatically sitting against lefties, unless last year's numbers end up being the norm vs the aberration.

Joe Joe likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I also don't see Springer moving from CF now that he's there.... including days where Jake is in the lineup.

Presuming his plate peripherals remain consistent, he stands to make a few more millions in arbitration/free agency as being an everyday CF than a corner OF.

kaleidosky likes this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They were optioned to the Minors on March 21.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hinch has mentioned something like this. It is not Springer's choice, but Astros don't want to piss him off either. That said, Marisnick's defense, over long term, should not play well enough in corners due to fewer opportunities to make up for lack of offense ( even LHPs) provided he doesn't break out with bat.

I like Marisnick more than most, but I'm not sure he's best 4th OF with Springer in CF and Reddick needing to platoon. Astros aren't going to give up talent, but they shouldn't piss off Springer again.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Also, knock on wood...but I think it would only take 1 lower body muscular injury (hamstring, quad, core/oblique, calf, etc.) to Springer for them to say "CF full time isn't worth the risk". Whether justified or not.

16. Progs

Progs Member

Marisnick is just in the roster because he has gold glove potential defense. Plus, he looks the part. Big guy who is athletic & fast, and a true cf.

17. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Looks good. Another lefty or two would be nice though...

18. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Agreed

Can Morey dump Sipp? :)

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nope. Morey wouldn't dump a lefthander as he likes playing a lefty at the end of the game.

Rockets Pride likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I hope another full season lets him shed that "injury prone" label for good.

He had flukeish injuries his first two years, then played all 162. I actually think he wore himself out as he only has one speed.

The way he plays, I doubt CF puts him in a more injury prone risk situation than his brand of playing RF does.