1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teen suicide epidemic in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockbox, Mar 29, 2017.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There has been 4 suicide deaths between the neighborhood middle and high school this year. I don't know what is in the water here, but obviously something isn't right. My kids are happy and well adjusted so I'm not concerned about them. However, I still feel that as a community, we are failing our kids. I'm feeling a little helpless because I want to do something other than taking care of my own, but really don't know how to start.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

At our school in the RGV, we just had a meeting in how to deal with student outcries. I wonder what is going on around the state?

3. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Bullying on social media is big part of this. Now, kids can create fake profiles and bully the hell out of someone and remain "anonymous" or post something embarrassing for the whole network to see. This kind of stuff can make kids think their life is over. I am not a parent yet, but I would surely be keeping an eye on my kids' social media accounts and making sure they always had someone to talk to about it. It really is a big part of their lives now with all of the apps/platforms where they can interact.

malakas and Rox11 like this.
  4. Cranberry_Juice

Could be liberal teachers whining about trump all day and the kids would rather kill themselves than hear about it every fricking day.

KDavis and RocketsLegend like this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You are a pos

vtjsr2, Phillyrocket and el gnomo like this.
  6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

In case you don't know Cranberry Juice, pos means PIECE OF S H I T.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  7. Cranberry_Juice

#triggered

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Your useless angry post about liberals was put in the wrong forum, and in terrible taste to boot.

Teen suicide is tragic for everyone and it is not about politics.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man, thats terrible... I feel so bad for the bullied kids these days cause of the power of the internet, everything gets magnified so much when they get teased. The bottom line is is that kids are going to be assholes until the end of time, always. There is just too much insecuirty with kids that are bullies and non bullies alike. The only way to end these tragic events is to instill confidence in the bullied youth, but to instill confidence in a kid that has none is so hard.

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  10. Cranberry_Juice

Actually how is it outside of the realm of possibility? At home kids have to deal with parents fighting about politics. On media they are bombarded with news about Trump building walls and separating families. At school they listen to kids or teachers whine about trump this and trump that. Kids are sensitive these days, and if you don't think this election has any effect on them you are just living in your own world.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Which neighborhood?

Seriously, if Katy, I would evacuate

KDavis likes this.
  12. rockbox

From what I have heard from my daughter, the middle schooler was very popular and wasn't bullied at all. He made good grades and had lots of friends. If it was just bullying, I would get it, and I think I would be able to do something about it.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There are some interesting studies showing the effects of early computer use on brain development, and it's not encouraging news.

Here's a column citing some 2012 research, and there's been a lot more since then of course.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-volpi-md-pc-facs/technology-depression_b_1723625.html

I know, among college students, mental health issues are spiking. (And that's apparent when they arrive, not based on any effects of college itself). I've definitely seen it and it's been steadily getting worse over the last few years.
    Check this recent article -- it's nationwide.
    https://www.statnews.com/2017/02/06/mental-health-college-students/

And it predates any specific election. I really think digital stimulation is the straight devil for young minds (and probably older ones too).

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I was just watching a 30 for 30 and a Vice doc on transgenders and the suicide rate of them are hovering at 45%. Thats an alarming rate, then throw in the fact of the confusion of puberty, insecurity and teenage angst on top and thats a recipe for disaster. Not to say this was an incident of transgender tendencies but man, think about how tough that would be for a kid.

15. rockbox

I spoke to my daughter about the middle schooler when it happened last week to make sure she was okay. During the conversation I asked if she thought the boy may have been gay. She said that she wouldn't be surprised if it was the case. I don't know his father well, but he didn't seem like the type that would deal with having a gay son well. He's an over the top Christian conservative that wears his religion on his sleeve.

BTW, this is just speculation. I'm just trying understand something that is beyond me to understand.

donkeypunch likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The watered down version is millennials and the following generation are sensitive snowflakes.

As a group, they were slammed at once from several directions.

-Our nutritional intake is vastly different than generations past. Hormonal balances are off.
    -A childs support group is very different. Split families, both parents working, electronics taking place of face-to-face interactions with the 'vast' group of friends
    -Society as a whole are pressuring kids to be things they really aren't. People are losing individuality, whether its good or bad. We are teaching kids that certain ideas or subjects are acceptable or good or bad instead of respecting ones beliefs.
    -Stress and pressure are very different. If ones does not do well with a white collared job/profession, they are labeled as unintelligent or lower class. Blue collared jobs are now considered lower than liberal arts.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am okay with all teachers pointing out that a racist, xenophobe is in charge, specifically because he beat out a deceitful hag.

Anyone that disagrees is selling something.

18. rockbox

Wrong thread?

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. Did you read thread?