1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Film] Luc Besson's Valerian and The City of A Thousand Planets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 10, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Love it.

2. dmoneybangbang

I'm trying to block those thoughts, but I agree that CGI sometimes makes "world building" too fake and flashy.

The most recent Stars Wars had a good balance of CGI and good sets in my opinion.

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Yes

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Firefly did it best to me. cgi shots were spaceship shots far away.

I remember James Cameron saying something like ' no longer do I have to wait for the perfect sunset to film. I can just use computers to make it.' you are wrong James . me and everyone else can tell the difference big time and it matters.

5. dmoneybangbang

Ah, had forgotten about Firefly which is a gem of a show. Serenity had a bigger budget but still effectively balanced the two, CGI was used well at the the epic fleet battle at the end.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

i would want a 5th Element sequel.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The trailer is cool looking but it's been years since Luc Besson has made a good movie. Like another poster said, I'm afraid there is a higher chance of it turning out to be a Jupiter Ascending type disaster......

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

The greatest challenge might be it may not seem original. Therr are a couple of iconic scenes from Star Wars which were taken from this:

[​IMG]

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That sounds like a big issue, I wasn't aware the original story had "borrowed" some big elements from Star Wars......

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I found it entertaining once you forget to compare it to other good films. I stopped being serious.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

I kind of appreciate what Jupiter Ascending was trying to be. It was very ambitious and i think it could have been much better had the casting been different. Tatum AND Kunis together as the leads? Way too bland with zero charisma. Redmayne is a great actor but i don't know what the hell he was trying to do with that role and the whispering. Might as well have cast Nic Cage to do that role..

cracks me up every time

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It seems like it's trying to out-Jupiter Ascending Jupiter Ascending, which is amazing.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Being an absurd fan of Blade Runner, Wrath of Kahn and 2001 and literally everything science fiction, I just don't get the love for The Fifth Element. Truly didn't like it at all. Top 10? yeesh...

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hate to disagree with a fellow science fiction fan, but I totally disagree! Not only is Fifth Element one of the ten greatest SF flicks, it possesses arguably the finest performance uncorked by the great Bruce Willis. That, and there be boobs, boobs! Look at it as science fiction satire. A good example, if you've read it (very unlikely), is Robert Sheckley's Mindswap. Sheckley was a brilliant SF writer who sort of went "off the rails" later in his career (he was quite fond of LSD, probably too fond), and he wrote Mindswap in 1966. I read the Science Fiction Bookclub edition that year. It's short, practically a novella, and for anyone who appreciates both science fiction and satire, it's a must read. I named the finest dog I've ever had after a character in the novel who may, or may not, have a bomb ticking in his nose.

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Science Fiction wise, I honestly greatly preferred him in 12 monkeys, and the film as well.

Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, Pulp Fiction and Die Hard I strongly prefer too, but to each his own! Atleast I know of one movie we can agree on.

eric.81 likes this.
  17. myco

myco Contributing Member

Random Clive Owen sighting

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And you would have a very strong argument. That's why I fudged and gave myself an out with, "arguably." See, that's supposed to be me arguing with myself. ;)

Let's say that it was his greatest comedic performance in a science fiction film. 12 Monkeys and Pulp Fiction are just too powerful. Bruce is a highly underrated actor, in my humble opinion.

RudyTBag likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

The characters are just awesome in the Fifth Element and it does a pretty good job at world building.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I really don't think so. I find it largely unwatchable. (And I love the cheesiest of cheesy sci-fi)

eric.81 likes this.