1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Mr. Motiejunas

Ernestine Sclafani Bayless was born William Ernest Sclafani.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

He was having one of his best years of his careers on a ugly ass tanking team. And he was always bad when he played in the playoffs in his career, i just hope he'll do better with us but we'll see. Manu always played well in the playoffs though, he's a proven winner and he's still making big plays in important games actually.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you'd rather have Ginobili this year based on what he's done in years past.....not this year. Because this year, he's averaging less than 8 ppg and shooting under 40% for the first time in his career. Lou Williams hasn't done any better for us, but he's the victim of a change in both role and offensive schemes. You can reasonably expect Williams to improve as he gets acclimated to the team, but you can't say the same for Ginobili.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup. Manu is obviously on his last years but I would probably choose the experience and trust that comes with manu in the right role. You don't really know what you'll get with unproven ones and in the playoffs that's very risky.

It's pretty much relative. if you need just a scorer Lou is probably the logical choice but as far as crucial decisions on making the right plays in critical playoff games the edge goes to Manu for me

Vivi likes this.
  5. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

6:00-9:12 mark

These guys don't have actual votes, thank goodness

fchowd0311 and DonKnock like this.
  6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I didn't gave a problem with their comments. They weren't bashing Harden or sucking up to Westbrook. And they're not wrong. It's probably very tight right now with Harden maybe slightly ahead, and it'll come down to these final 10-11 games(and especially the head-to-head matchup on Sunday).

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

angry russ is having an historic year and will win MVP. sucks for harden :(
    ginobli, and i say this even though i hate the douche, would be much better than lou given the role and amount of playing time. championship pedigrees go a long way...

Stormy1234 likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is having a historic year too and his team is winning so Harden=MVP and Westbrook=no MVP and 1st round exit

Pen15clubber and Stormy1234 like this.
  9. thegary

not saying harden isn't and doesn't deserve MVP...

Stormy1234 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

u just said that Westbrook will win MVP, and I'm saying that he won't because the voters will see that Harden is having a historic year as well and his team is winning while Westbrook is a 1st round exit waiting to happen...sucks for Westbrook

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Frankly, that's a tired cliche when you're talking about a 40 year old player. At that point, the most important factor in his current value is his current production, and Ginobili is currently having the worst year of his career.

12. thegary

i didn't mean to imply that russ was more deserving, just that i think the votes will go his way. otherwise, i totally agree with you.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  13. thegary

we'll just have to agree to disagree.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think Manu is valuable to SA and SA only.

They know each other, coach pop trusts him to run his system and not make many of any mistakes.

But reality is Manu this year is one of the worst players in the NBA. He looks okay playing for the Spurs and in a system he's known and played in for what 15 years?

Lou hasn't been great so far outside of a few 20+ point games but he's better in the 7th man role that he's in over swapping him out for manu to run that slot.

Can't get caught up in what a great player used to be. TBH Manu should have retired 2 years ago, He's been that bad imo.

But I'll take my chance that Lou can be a real game changer and swing atleast 1 playoffs game per series over Manu doing that.

What's more likely Lou scoring 25 points in 20 minutes or Manu even scoring 15 points in 20 min?

That should answer the question on who's better going foward this year. Plus at 7m for next year Lou is not only a bargain for his production but also a very easy to move and good asset.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd rather have Ginobili because he's the better player, simple as that, he has always been better tha Lou, i mean, i don't think this is even debatable, not just "in the past", we're talking about a guy with a slight chance to be an hall of fame, just saying...he's shooting a bit worse from the field this season (on 2.5 attempts per game though), but while he's shooting exactly as bad as Williams with Houston, he's still shooting better than Lou from 3, and he's still making big plays (sometimes also on defense because he's really smart, he knows where he needs to be, how to flop etc), i'm not sure you saw him play that much this season...but he brings a lot more on the table for a single fga that he's not making.

Lou has always been a guy who chucked up a lot in his career, bad defender and not very efficient overall, and you can see it here too, he has a tendency to take bad shots and to enter too much in hero ball mode, that's probably why MDA is still letting Pat handle the ball a lot in the second unit...go give a look at his playoff numbers in his career and you'll see.

#1375 Vivi, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Given that both Ginobili and Lou are shooting comparable percentages, this argument actually supports the my assertion that Lou is currently the better player.

As YaoMing said, Ginoboli knows the system, his coach, and his teammates. Lou doesn't, and despite this, they have a comparable efficiency. As Lou grows more familiar with his teammates, it's likely that his percentages will improve.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What kills me in these MVP arguments is that one person could have a 15 point checklist of all the things Harden has done to state his case for MVP. 15 sound, good arguments with facts.

And then the other person is just thinking "yeah but....triple double." :mad:
    I saw this the other day on SC TheSix when Michael Smith was listing off items and you could just see it on Jemele's face "yeah but...."
    Cari Champion was the same way ("yeah but...") in her segment with Tom Haberstroh (where he illustrated Westbrook's uncontested rebound rate).

Pen15clubber and DonKnock like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

How so? Manu is shooting 2 times per game a 2pt shot, he's basically shooting the same number of 3pt shots and making them more than Lou, and this is just considering the shooting part, without the playmaking and under the radar/dirty plays that Manu brings in everygame on both sides of the court.

And yes, Manu knows the system, so what? You think he would suddenly be a scrub here and that he's probably an hall of fame because he played with the Spurs? Hell no, you're really underestimating Ginobili if you think that, he's not just another player, he's a special player.

Overall you're assuming a lot of good things about Lou (and i hope your assumptions are right) while his career shows the opposite, and bad things about Manu while it doesn't seem like you saw him play a lot this season if you say he's having a down/bad year because he's missing a single shot per game more.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Lou has a higher true shooting percentage.

You're getting too caught up in the player that Manu WAS as opposed to the player that Manu IS.

20. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

Damn I can't wait til harden get this MVP so all you cry babies can STFU with this and find something else to whine about

Daddy Long Legs likes this.