1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thunder superteam built from draft is best ever?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Mar 21, 2017.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Pre-Durant, the Warriors are considered to have built the best "superteam" from the draft in modern times (where I define "modern times" from when we first had 30 NBA teams). They had Curry, Thompson, Green and Barnes. They weren't all stars from day one but people say that this is probably the best core group built entirely from the draft in the modern era.

But I have to think that the Thunder superteam of Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka beats the Warriors. Do others agree?

(Note that I am only considering teams built from the draft, including draft day trades, not superteams from trades and free agency. Also I am only considering the modern era when we first had 30 NBA teams.)

And could the Thunder have possibly kept the superteam foursome together? Or it is not possible to do so financially? Or maybe even if money was no object, you have the "Bosh" problem that someone would need to adjust and sacrifice his game and that just isn't going to happen?

Also can two super ball dominant players like Harden and Westbrook ever play together effectively? (Maybe with the right coach?)

Obviously being in OKC is another obstacle. So perhaps if Lakers or Knicks somehow managed to draft that same superteam core as OKC did, there would be a better chance of keeping it together.

Think about how powerful that OKC core could have been if they had kept Harden!

#1 celebrevida, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Outlier

Outlier Member

They could have if they decided Harden over Ibaka. But then Harden wouldnt be the player he is today.

da_juice likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

KD, WB , JH , SI >>> curry , klay , green , and Barnes

It's close but I think if the thunder team had stuck together they could have developed better than that warriors core .

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I still can't wrap my head around these 3 MVP-type players were all once on one team. Even their personalities complimented each other.

If they moved Harden to PG and made Westbrook go back to the off-guard... smh.

Thank goodness for cheap owners.

5. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

And if I recall, they didn't pick Ibaka over Harden, rather they picked keeping Perkins over Harden. They could feasibly kept all 4

Moleb, RedNation, Richie_Rich and 6 others like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They still lost to lebron

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't know man. That Thunder team had too many ball dominant players.

Player vs Player, Thunder's 4 are better than the Warriors 4. No doubt.

However, when you consider chemistry and style of play, I may take the Warriors 4. Durant wants to create and wants the ball, Westbrook needs the ball, Harden needs the ball

Warriors chemistry was off the charts and them 4 complimented each other perfectly. Also if Brooks coaching OKC and Kerr Warriors, I'd take the Warriors big four

BigMaloe and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  8. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

They were really young AND they did beat the Spurs which is pretty commendable. I'm sure they would've won a title at some point.

RedNation, s3ts, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thats what they said about Orlando with Shaq and penny

10. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

But I wonder if Westbrook and Harden being ball dominant is an intrinsic talent thing or something that could be changed through coaching.

I guess what I'm saying is this:
    Are certain players only good if they are "ball dominant" or could they have developed a more off the ball type game and still have been just as good but in a different way?

Look at two time MVP Steph Curry. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but could you not imagine if he were with a different coach and different team, he could have been a "ball dominant" type player instead of the player he is now? Conversely couldn't Harden or Westbrook have been more off the ball than the players they are now?

#10 celebrevida, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I just want to say that no, Harden and Westbrook could most likely never play together... But Harden and Durant could have (and maybe could still) make beautiful music together.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

MJ, Pippen, and Grant was pretty damn good

DreamRun95 likes this.
  13. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Your terminology is confusing. >>>> means its not close but the OKC core is much better. I think its better though not by a lot. You also say "its close" in words.

Green >> Ibaka
    Curry = Westbrook
    Durant >>> Barnes
    Harden >> Thompson

Green/Klay more or less cancel out Harden/Ibaka. Curry and Westbrook sort of neutralize. Where you have the advantage is Durant over Barnes.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I got a little overzealous with the ">'s" haha.

Maybe its not really that close though. If you think that Harden would have developed as well then I think OKC wins by far. Can you imagine OKC with this season's harden except he can save more juice for D ? WB playing off ball a bit more, Durant stretching the floor , Ibaka also stretching the floor. James pick and roll with any of those guys is guaranteed points.

Like you said , the only player from the GS core that is better than the OKC counterpart is green, but even there Ibaka has his adantages.

15. txn

txn Member

We might forget Reggie Jackson in that Super Team as well

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. That decision was madness!

The other bad decision was not firing Scott Brooks one or two years earlier. He had the keys to a Cadillac but drove it like tricycle.

s3ts likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Isiah, Dumars, Rodman, Salley?

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Bird, McHale, Cedric Maxwell, Danny Ainge, (Len Bias, Reggie Lewis)

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Cliff Robinson, Jerome Kersey, (Arvydas Sabonis/Drazen Petrovic) + blowing the 2nd pick in the 84 draft that could have resulted in Michael Jordan, or Charles Barkley.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Bulls traded for PIP

SuperSonics

Kemp/Payton/Xavier McDaniel...drafted Scottie Pippen and traded him. Imagine that D