1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Ban to be announced Tues: Forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Ban will be announced tomorrow. We know that the ban will include airlines from 13 countries (none of those airlines being American) and we already know that Royal Jordanian Airline and Saudia Airlines are among the 13. I'm GUESSING Emirates/Etihad/Qatar/Turkish are also among the 13 (seems like safe guess lol).

It's funny because anything you can do on an iPad/laptop, you can probably do on a smartphone.

My initial reaction was that this ban was some strange national security measure of some sort.

But after thinking about it more, I think it is a retaliation to Emriates new flight from NYC-Athens. United executives, their union and congressmen were protesting in the NY airport last week.

If you had a choice between flying United from NYC-Athens and Emirates from NYC-Athens, both flights have WiFi but on the Emirates flight, you are not allowed to use your laptop/iPad, you might end up choosing the United flight (though the Emirates flight I believe is mostly cheaper, on a daily schedule AND is on an Airbus A380. Plus Emirates service is far superior to that of United in general based on my experiences).

Or maybe it is some national security measure of some sort but even if it is, I don't really see how it accomplishes anything if smartphones are allowed lol.

For years, US carriers have been complaining about Gulf carriers (namely Emirates/Qatar/Etihad) having heavy subsidies from their governments limiting the American carriers ability to compete (both United and Delta dropped their Dubai routes last year for example, United also dropped it's Kuwait route as well). Now Emirates launched an NYC-Milan flight and a week ago an NYC-Athens flight so obviously American carriers are ticked off as they also have routes to those countries.

Personally, I think these American airlines need to quit b****ing/moaning and step their game up.

I've flown multiple United international flights and they've all sucked. Flown Middle Eastern airlines, flown European airlines, flown Asian airlines and they are all far superior. The food on United sucks, the seats suck, the overall experience is ****. They only give you one alcoholic beverage and even that tiny bottle of wine sucks too. I'll be honest, I've only flown these on economy (though I flew First Class from Toronto to Houston on United and that ****ing sucked as well lol. The seat was comfortable but everything else was bleh).

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...vices-larger-cell-phones-flights-13-countries

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lipos can only be carried on and not put in baggage because there is chance they can catch on fire. Now they are doing the opposite for some airlines. United, Delta, and American are terrible. Who actually wants to fly them?

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Watch this order get retracted after the next visit by a Qatari, Jordanian or Emirati royal.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...to a Trump-owned property

deb4rockets5, Yung-T, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

....and my United Airlines (UAL) buy order just went in.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not upset about this on face value given that there's examples of weaponized laptops on flights (Mogadishu to Djibouti last year), but an anti-competitive angle doesn't seem far-fetched. Security at some of these airports is laughable (thinking of stories I've heard from family about Alexandria and Istanbul in particular) which is why I think a blanket ban is another example of ham-fisted messaging from this administration. I've felt more "secure" leaving Dubai and Abu Dhabi than I have some American airports.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought initially it was flights that originated from those countries, but you're saying it's the airlines that are targeted? If it was the former, I'd have no problem with it. If it's particular airlines, it sounds like un-Republican picking winners and losers in private industry.

8. s land balla

No US airlines fly directly to/from those cities. United used to fly between DC and Dubai, Kuwait City, etc., but they were forced out of business by Emirates superior service.

9. s land balla

No joke - Abu Dhabi airport even has a US pre-clearance facility AT their airport, meaning you clear US Customs at the Abu Dhabi airport before even boarding your US-bound flight.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can someone elaborate on the technical merit of this? What the **** can't I do on a smartphone that I can do on a tablet?

In fact, smartphones are often more capable because they all have cell radios and many tablets don't.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I doubt it has anything to do with the specific Emirates flight. Emirates already has a fifth freedom route (New York - Milan) and they've been flying it for a while now. If Trump really cared about that specific flight, he couldve had the DOT suspend Emirates's application for the fifth freedom route. However, this does seem to be a broader attack on middle eastern carriers. Abu Dhabi (which is also targeted in this rule) even has a US preclearance facility. So you literally clear customs and immigration there but you still have to check your laptop and tablet.

This is just another dumb Steve Bannon/Stephen Miller policy designed to somehow stick it to Middle Eastern airlines. I work in the airline industry. This policy is beyond dumb. The screening process for carry ons is much more thorough than the screening process for checked baggage. Furthermore, IATA (the airline trade industry body) has always stated that electronic items in checked baggage always represents a more significant threat to a plane. Plus most of the airports targeted actually have more stringent airport security processes than the US. For example, in Istanbul, you clear security 3 times (including once where they physically verify that you turn on your laptop). There's no actual logic behind this other than to damage the Middle Eastern carriers.

From an airline economics standpoint. This will kill first/business class sales for ME3 airlines. No business traveler is going to check in a laptop. Electronics theft is a real issue in other countries. Those travelers choose another airline if that avoids this rule. And the front of your plane pretty much determines whether a flight is profitable. This is absolutely insane policy.

#11 geeimsobored, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    BleedRocketsRed and s land balla like this.
  12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There's no technical merit. This is a straight and transparent attack on Middle Eastern airlines.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You folks have me dreading my flight from Austin to Cairo, and later from Copenhagen to Austin in May. sighhh

14. s land balla

'

Hence, I loaded the boat with UAL shares today.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I thought so. Even laptops are almost pointless in relevance to this ban. A rooted Android device can do almost anything a modern x86 based laptop can do besides run specefic windows applications. Like ya, I can't do my solidworks and Matlab hw on a smartphone but I don't see how that prevents terrorism.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Bigger device causing bigger damage. If you allow it on carried baggage, what's the point?

I'm surprise that no one yet have thought of a way to turn large electronic device into a major potential danger. It essentially got all the ingredient to self wake and explode... and all of that can be hidden. Just think battery caught on fire. If they know how to initiate that, they essentially got a fire generating device on board.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I have a direct flight from Dubai to DC in June.

**** :(

18. s land balla

I flew between Doha and the US about 40 times in 2016 (20 roundtrips). Glad I'm not doing that this year.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So Britain just did the same... must be security, or if not , just foolishly following in step

20. s land balla

Yeah, except the only 3 airports that the UK left off their list were Dubai (Emirates hub), Doha (Qatar Airways hub), and Abu Dhabi (Etihad hub).