1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard "his side of the story"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Mar 17, 2017.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

http://bit.ly/2nv4jI2

He has some nice things to say about James and admits communication should have been better.

"How would you describe the end with Houston last season?

I don’t think it ended the way it should have. I thought in my time in Houston we did some really good things. For us to go to the Western Conference finals after not being there for 20 years, that’s a great accomplishment because nobody expected us to do that. The issues they say happened between me and James were small communication issues. Instead of us coming together and talking about it, we allowed other people to do talking. The lines of communication were twisted.

But like I’ve always said, I’ve never had a personal issue with James. Why? Everything he is doing now, everything he is coming into, I’ve been that player. The awards, all that, the accolades. I wasn’t there to try to compete against him. I wanted to win with him."

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thanks for the good read.

Coming into this league, the talented Big Teddy bear touted himself as Christian, made tons of babies with different women.

He just cannot help himself playing alonside two Alpha stars whose star signs have been virgo and who have been extra driven by stats or in Kobe's case driven to dominate.

Compliment to him for it was not a lack of trying.

80 percent of the article is what's going in on inside Dwight's head and just a little of Houston, Lakers...... a tad more about the Orlando situation and the Hawks.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Some people hate Dwight Howard, but I've never been one of those people.

I have major problems with him as a player, mainly his inability to notice his own limitations, but from everything I saw he has always carried himself very well.

joshuaao, Raider17, mdoggnic and 6 others like this.
  5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

He did publicly throw his Orlando teammates under the bus remember.

And it's not just a coincidence every stop he's made in his career, he's never left on good terms.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Not a bad guy, just immature. Dont know why anyone here would have issue with him. He chose Houston over LA. He is limited in what he can do, and even moreso as he ages, but he gave us his all in the playoffs. Happy as hell when he came here but not upset he left. Wish him luck as we move forward.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was a big part of why we got to WCF. He was the only Superstar who came here on his own. He was great for the community. Better than ever Houston athlete other than JJ. I wish him well.

8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Dude Dwight man you could have been great in this system but you trippin

jae713 likes this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Dwight would have stuck to what he can deliver and realize that centers with a 5-foot shot range are no longer the focal point of an NBA offense....well, I know it must be difficult, but he isn't Olajuwon, never was. He was part of something special in Orlando when he was younger and the NBA still had the dump-it-down, kick-it-out offenses.

Not a bad dude at all. Just something of a man-child.

(Parenthetically: Why when Dwight is mentioned do I always recall "...better" from his commercial? So painful.)

Kim likes this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

A good dude off the court. Did great for so many charities and was always a presence in the Houston community.

joeson332, split41, swyyyguy and 5 others like this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Dwight was just too soft after his injuries. A complete beast in Orlando. I was always shocked about how well he played in the playoffs as compared to the regular season.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think Dwight was generally good for us. Last year sucked all around. It's unfair to pin it all on him.

He generally said the right things while with us. I don't know why it didn't work out better. His skill set is still something that would be highly beneficial in this team.

HoustonTexas likes this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Done some good and bad, overall a huge waste.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

After he retires, I'm sure Dwight will commission a biography titled, "My Side of the Story."

Patience and Killatron 2000 like this.
  15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

1. He doesn't want to run.
    2. Dnton hated him vice verse
    3. Shaq told him a true center needs to assert his dominance in the post and back people down
    4. He is easily pursued, see number 5

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets are a good org. They've generally have remained silent on the Dwight drama. I'm sure Les will be inviting Dwight back to TC once the big guy retires. I don't have anything against the guy, I was just frustrated how he insisted on being a featured player when his skill set did not warrant that type of responsibility. Wish the guy the best, glad he isn't on this team anymore.

17. jae713

jae713 Member

This was his biggest problem. Had he accepted a role similar to what DJ in LA is doing, he could have been putting up some huge numbers. Imagine the rebound numbers Dwight could be putting up right now. We would arguably be at the top of the west right now. I'm not putting the blame on him for leaving either. No one predicted the Rockets to be this good, so the above statements are all in hindsight. But man....sigh.... what could've been.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  18. Rokman

Rokman Member

After his contract with Atlanta ends if he wants to come back to Houston on the cheap in a backup center roll to lock down the paint and catch some lobs and make a run at a Championship I'd welcome him back. Give him 15 min a game and tell him to be strong then sit down and shut up.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Not a fan of the guy at all

Really immature, which is ridiculous for someone in his 30s. Didn't appear to be a great teammate and cared more about his own play than winning.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I'm glad he is saying the right things, and not criticizing his former teammates. But his passive-aggressiveness comes through pretty clearly in this interview.

The way he describes forcing his way out of Orlando: "I just told them I wanted a change in my life, and they decided to trade me. I don't know why the fans are so mad." Take some responsibility, man. You forced the trade.

I am a Donut likes this.