1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Sign Isaiah Taylor to 3 year Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Feb 27, 2017.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

For comparison purposes, here are Taylor's and Payton's stats with the Vipers...

Their MPG is almost exactly the same, although Taylor's sample size is much smaller.

TL;DR: Specs-wise, Taylor seems like a better scorer, PG and 3-point threat, while Payton is a better defender.

Taylor

Played in 12 games, started 7.
    33.3 minutes per game

21.1 pts
    2.6 rebounds
    6.1 assists
    2.6 turnovers
    0.7 steals

.497 FG%
    .413 3P%
    .529 2P%
    .795 FT%

Payton

Started all 37 games.
    33.7 minutes per game

14.7 pts
    6.6 rebounds
    3.5 assists
    1.8 turnovers
    2.1 steals

.476 FG%
    .303 3P%
    .618 2P%
    .699 FT%

#41 topfive, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Lightsnowaction

Not upset by Isaiah Taylor signing, just thought that they wanted a wing or another big.

D-rock likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No idea if he will work out but I like the signing. I watched Taylor at UT and he was a projected lotto pick type talent for a bit. If he had a shot like this at UT he would have been a late lotto pick.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

After losing out on Bogut there is really no one else worthy of signing.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Just a weird signing with our eyes on the play-offs, there can still be bigs and wings we can sign..

6. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I thought this was Jermaine Taylor. Whatever happened to him? Guessing he plays in China.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. Garner

Garner Member

who?

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Our best FA options for a big are Jermaine O'Neal and Dikembe.

Fyreball and justtxyank like this.
  9. seeingred

seeingred Member

Weren't Aaron Brooks, Kyle Lowry, and Pat Beverly also Morey's scrubby point guards at some point? Jet was good for what he was, Prigioni wasn't bad, Huertas doesn't count (was a Rocket for an hour), Ennis doesn't look good but the book isn't closed on him, and Brown sucks. i trust Morey with PG spot.

Also - random point: the new CBA apparently allows for 17 players on a roster with 2 of them being "2 way contracts" - basically D-League stashes. i think they're only allowed to spend ~40 days on an NBA roster per season or else they get a *real* roster spot. Morey just getting ahead of the curve with this signing.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Scola
    Delfino
    Derrick Williams
    Sanders

Probably some more.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I am a big UT basketball fan. Taylor may have more foot speed than any guard on the Rockets. From watching the videos I was shocked at how much more developed his body looks and it appears he is starting to shoot better. If this is true, he definitely can be a NBA point guard. His court vision while not Harden level is probably good enough for an NBA point guard. The guy was a late bloomer who was not heavily recruited for college, so maybe he is still developing more than usual. However, I wonder if his shooting percentage is jacked up by his always ability to use his blazing speed to get to the basket.

don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.
  12. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

True. It might be harsh to judge either this early in their career but it is clear they aren't going to be NBA ready this season. I doubt any other team would sign them this year. Wouldn't the 14th and 15th spots be best filled from veterans who can fill in for spot minutes or if injury occurs (Calderon, Sullinger, Chalmers, Jarret Jack, Scola)? We are in WIN NOW mode.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Weird move.

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets checked in on Prigioni, but found out that he is in an old folks home in Argentina.

topfive and J.R. like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Delfino just signed with an argentinian team.

16. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Hook 'em!

17. anchel

anchel Member

He's not a combo, he's a pure point. Great ball handler and high basket IQ, plays very well in transition and the p&r. Explosive first step. Puts very solid effort defensively, very active. Reminds a little bit to Ish (very good natural passer), but seems to have worked a lot in his shooting...he was a poor shooter at college, not a very good finisher. Looks very improved, props to him. Promising PG. And yeah, his SL was terrible, but you do good scouting to appreciate talent beyond that. Props to the Rockets organization.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, I'm guessing the reason Morey wanted to lock him up is because he's impressed by Taylor's progress between summer and now. Payton, on the other hand, doesn't look that much better.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Hmm.

I would have expected, in the event of failure of our first win-now target, to continue looking for win-now moves. If the backup plan was to sign back-bench players on cheap, long-term deals to prepare for the future, we'd have been just as well off holding on to KJ and Ennis.

I'm not mad, just figured that if you're giving away young guys for roster space that you'd use the space for veterans, not more young guys.

FanSince93 likes this.
  20. CKent

CKent Member

Good potential cheap Lou Williams replacement if we need the capspace to make a major FA addition this offseason. Obviously he is not as good as Lou but gotta have options for opening up that cap space. Outside of Bogut I don't know how much impact we would see from any of the buyout guys but who knows, still a spot left.