1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Biggest Roster Weakness

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bugshardenspacejam, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

That and the opportunity for MDA to put them in. With them gone we won't have to worry about seeing their face anymore.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We definitely need a 3rd string SF.

Some SF's that (I think) are available right now:

Hollis Thompson
    Jakarr Sampson
    Thanasis Antetokounmpo
    Lance Stephenson
    Alonzo Gee

Surely one of these guys is good enough to just sit on the bench INCAYSHIT.

That's the word of the day children. For example:

We had a great deadline, but we should be looking at an FA SF as insurance INCAYSHIT.

DonKnock, FANfrom86toNow and mikol13 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would take either of these guys:

Raphiael Putney (6'10 w/7-4 wingspan, can play 3 or 4, deep 3 range)
    Jamaal Franklin (7 foot wingspan, excellent ball handler-passer & scorer)
    Thanasis Antetokounmpo (7 foot wingspan, bouncy, plays 1,000 mph & uber athletic)
    Lance Stephenson (intimidator on D who can also play 1-3, wingspan just under 7 feet)
    JaKarr Sampson (7 foot wingspan, lock down D but not great 3 ball)

Hollis Thompson has been signed by Pels I believe.

#43 D-rock, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    DonKnock and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  4. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I would say we have two main weaknesses, one on defense and one on offense. Our offense has and will be highly effective this year. The only aspect that scares me, and one that I blame for many of our losses this year, is having no alternative when the 3 ball is not falling. No matter how wide open our looks are, there are just those nights where nothing can go in. This is where having a change of pace offensively, perhaps even the much maligned post up, would be a good secondary to let the shooters wash their hands of being cold.

On the defensive side, I would say it is a lack of rangy wing defenders. Aside from Beverley and Ariza, I don't really trust anybody else to hound opposing guards and make them work on the offensive end. We've also gotten bullied on the inside against bigger lineups (let's hope this doesn't happen tonight), but it looks as if we will look to plug this hole via the slew of buyouts on the horizon.

bugshardenspacejam likes this.
  5. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I just wonder with these guys that can't shoot if it would be another Corey/Ronnie Brewer situation where they let the defense guard 5 on 4.

6. kiwirocketsfan

We need another body in the frontline.

Not a old slow Bogut type, a rim roller like Capela and Harrell.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thanasis has improved his 3 ball, and is much better than Ariza at driving to basket. Sampson is only guy who is shot challenged. Other guys (Putney, Franklin, Stephenson) are not only good scorers but tough defenders.

Only Stephenson is 6'5 and under 7 foot wingspan (slightly), everyone else on list has a 7 foot wingspan or greater and 6'6 or taller.

DonKnock and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's at forward . Right now we have Ariza , dekker, and Anderson . Now we may play 3 guards more often now , but we need a dude that's 6'8" + that can take an open three or drive to the rack.

9. bugshardenspacejam

The best way to do this is

Bogut, Capela, Nene
    Anderson, Harrell
    Ariza, Dekker
    Beverly, Williams
    Harden, Gordon

Which would give us the All-star stats at each spot we're looking for. Seems to be what Morey is going for, let's hope for the best!

10. bugshardenspacejam

Agreed. Between the 3 and 4, whichever spot Dekker isn't playing is the weak spot.

snowconeman22 and dje243 like this.
  11. bugshardenspacejam

Dekkeriza needs to happen

DonKnock likes this.
  12. bugshardenspacejam

Ariza played 27 minutes tonight vs. his season average of 35. Coach keeping him fresh, thank you!
    It's nice that he has more help now with Lou (though I still don't like too much spot switching).
    If we can get Bogut, Harrell moving to 4 and Dekker to 3 should give us no weak spot. Need to edit original post, since a 3 and D stud probably not happening until next season.

DonKnock and snowconeman22 like this.
  13. bugshardenspacejam

Agree with everything said. Defensively we need another solid 3 and D. Offensively, if 3s can't fall I don't think we should be afraid to drive, stop and pop some mid-range. Harden, Bev, Gordon, Williams, Ariza, Dekker, Anderson, Nene can ALL do that. Basically everyone but Capela (who should post up). Harrell might be able to knock down the mid range as well.

Little Bit likes this.
  14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Definitely agree. Dekker is not a defensive 3 and D player. Ariza is pretty much it.

D-rock likes this.
  15. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Buy micheal Beasley for Ariza backup

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How do you just buy Beasley?
    How is Beasley a back up for Ariza? Ariza plays the 3 primarily and Beasley the 4 these days....
    Ariza is a wing defender, our best perimeter defender and a 3 point shooter
    Beasley is a bad defender and a mid range dude

17. Fantasma Negro

I would love to have this guy and let him continue to develop. Just off pedigree, he doesn't need to come in and take minutes from anyone in fact he could come in and go to the Valley and I wouldn't trip. If he comes in and gets six minutes a night I'm good. I think he is going to become a very solid 3&d guy very soon and I love the energy he plays with. The time to buy in in right now because soon there will be four Greek freaks in the league

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Let's get Antetokounmpo (what a name) and Bogut.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  19. Fantasma Negro

I'm not even sure Bogut fits our team very well. He seems like a malcontent that complains when he doesn't get a certain amount of playing time and we have guys now that know their role and don't complain about not being the focal point. I'm leaning more towards Sanders, even though he's been out of the league for a while he does what we need, rebound, block shots and run the floor. I say let Cleveland have Bogut, the team I watched last night is a rebounder away from wreaking absolute havoc on the league

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  20. bugshardenspacejam

The idea of the Sneak Freak coming out of nowhere and killing the league is an intriguing one (IMO needs to be at least a 37% 3 shooter to really work in our system. Same with any 3 & D we get).

Would be cool to see another promising up-and-comer arrive next season, but this year would like to see someone who's already proved themselves in the league and we can rely on to contribute in those critical moments.