1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NASA Has Found A New Solar System With 7 Earth-Size Planets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zeeshan2, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is so cool -- that seems like a major find. Fascinating stuff.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

How advanced is our cryogenic technology doe?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Far out! Now if we could only figure out how to go there.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astrology is amazing.

The universe is much bigger than the Milky Way, so this happened "close".

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Indeed. I wish I could be around if/when humans ever develop faster than light travel.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Worm hole, worm hole!

donkeypunch likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

I reckon if all the planets are in the same zone that's plausible from a size aspect. But you still have to ask why there no other planets of other sizes in other zones as that seems to defy the nature of gravity.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

But are they flat?? I'm asking for Kyrie.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope we find life on one of these planets.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, the show I was watching recently said that...while the Sun has a long life left...it is only going to expand and grow hotter. So, we don't have as long as the Sun has obviously. Said Earth will only be survivable for the next 10 percent of that time left that the Sun has. I assume that doesn't take anything else into account except the Sun's impact on the Earth. Said Earth's oceans will dry up with much hotter temperatures and Earth will be in an uninhabitable zone after that time (think "Knowing" with Nick Cage). Should be plenty of time to figure out how to travel 40 light years...except Earth will likely suffer an E.L.L.E. way before that. All I'm saying is good luck with that. No reason to quit trying obviously but it's going to take a united effort and this planet is anything but united toward a goal like that. At least they are trying to figure out a possible replacement planet by launching new telescopes and getting it started.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On a more serious note, great share! I love this stuff, it's so awesome just to look at even the scale of our sun compared to other systems they're finding. Then add in the time and distance even at the speed of light to get any where (hell even the time since this started ~13.8 b.years ago..) and realize a blip on the radar doesn't even describe our entire existence as a species. I honestly think it's fascinating and even a bit depressing knowing that we can't see it all, hopefully just easily getting to experience space becomes a realistic opportunity (and doesn't cost millions).

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's no moon.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

We got hundreds of millions of years if not billions of years left from the sun, we have a much much higher chance of killing our own race before the sun kills earth. If we mange to survive as a prospering race for as a long as the dinos, I bet we find ways to get around the galaxy.

We have only been really advancing as a race for a couple thousands of years (couple hundreds of years if you really want to get technical), and we are already doing space exploration, can you imagine the human race a million years from now if we keep going at the current pace?

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

But, but... According to Interstellar you just need love!!! Hhaha :)

You're absolutely right though, here's the good news unless we're in some cryo state or some crazy event happens we won't have to worry about it. :) hopefully our future generations can get on the same page and work together... Sadly it's still far away from that with all of the hate.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right the sun issue won't be the concern, it's disease/war/crazy big space rock hitting, or even a solar flare that causes people to get off snapchat or whatever causing chaos while the grid gets put back online and everyone becoming walkers since no Internet...you've seen the Walking Dead right? No 24/7 screens ='s CHAOS

But you're right, no events and continuous advancement, then there's plenty of time to solve the sun thing

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

You might want to look up the term astrology.

Sajan, vtjsr2, FranchiseBlade and 3 others like this.
  18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm basically on board with Stephen Hawking's prediction. The human race probably has 1,000 years left at most on this planet or will become extinct. That's not a lot of time to figure out how to relocate to another planet imo. But, I still think that 1,000 years might be generous with the way it is going. You can just see it is going to continue to get worse around here unless real gains are made to backtrack the damage done by man. That also assumes we avoid a nuclear war cause, then, all bets are off but also depending on how many bombs go off.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, he was probably just in a hurry of excitement. Astrology is... okay I won't hurt anyone's feelings :)

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yahhh mon, miss Cleo show you da way.