1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Grade do you give the Lou Williams trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 21, 2017.

?

What do Grade do you give this trade?

1. A+

42.7%
  2. A

42.8%
  3. B

12.9%
  4. C

0.9%
  5. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. F

0.7%
  1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I give it an A in a vacuum.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

If you give this an A+ then you are in agreement that no other trade could be better. I think the Cousins trade was better for Pelicans. This trade is an A. A trades are rare and we are lucky.

3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

What if we got the Cousins deal and this deal?

4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I think we should have had Harrell out along side our centers to see how we do versus that matchup. Should have tinkered with it while we could.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I don't believe in grades. I believe in the new concept of providing a "narrative evaluation" of the trade:

This trade is like totally b****in'. Lou Williams is a groovy player with mad skills. Corey Brewer had to split.

#85 dandorotik, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    daywalker02 likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fantastic deal. We are inching closer and closer to the D'Antoni game. We just picked up a top 10 offensive player, and he is going to open the game up for Gordon/Harden/Ryno like they have never seen.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's interesting that all over the internet the Rockets are getting a B or B+ for this trade while the Lakers are getting an A.

I'm not completely sold on the fit. It could be amazing. Or it could be redundant. Lou Williams could either be a Rasheed Wallace type impact or not move the needle at all. I think overall it doesn't matter.

I could be wrong about this, but I think the real value of this deal is the cap space it provides. The Rockets saved some money and gained some *gasp* flexibility on this deal and that is big for the summer.

Losing a very late first round pick for a player of the caliber of Lou is a no brainer.

"Analysts" on the internet are oddballs.

I give this trade an A simply because we lost nothing of value, gained a really good offensive player (albeit one who could be redundant), and improved our cap situation for the summer.

roslolian likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never been enamored by grades in this life.......solid guy, D stays the same, Offense off the bench might get a little more fluid

9. caneks

caneks Rookie

Brewer is a much better player in playoffs than in regular season because he is not short in his position and he plays defense. With Harden holds the ball most of the time, Morey basically got Lou as a SG who is too short.

This team would be better with Brewer in playoffs than Lou, although I do not expect much in both scenarios.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Definitely not lower than an A in itself, it's a great move by Morey I didn't expect with all the Young talk. Turning Brewer and a late 20s pick into a guy who is averaging 18+ points per game is just insane. We definitely addressed a need here with Gordon and Beverley's injury history, Harden playing too minutes at the moment and just another guard to throw in there when Gordon and or Bev are off. I cannot give it an A+ because that 1st round pick could've potentially been used to address a more immediate need in a center or SF/PF.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Just from a pure value perspective this is better than the cousins trade.

Pellies got Cousins but had to give up 1st pick, 2nd pick, 11M expiring and a rookie they spent top 6 pick on last year's draft.

All Rox had to give up is 1st rounder...and they us a favor and take Brewer off our hands. 3 years ago Rox had to give up a pick to get rid of Lin, this is the same except Williams is free.

All thise who give this a B just dont understand how good of a deal it is and just fixating on a big. Before trades happen everyone was willing to trade 3 picks and our young guys for the Manimal, now suddenly even 1 pick in the low 20's is too much to give up? LoL! Btw low 1st rounders us worse than high 2nd round picks in terms of value so its not like it cost us the farm.

dcfma, FANfrom86toNow and Wapzoe like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The numbers seem to show the opposite and we did need another scorer. I still think Morey has enough ammo to acquire a backup 3.

13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Come on, Rox offload brewer, less minutes for Bev and less minutes for Harden, insurance policy for Gordon, and all rox need to pay for it is a very low 1st round pick without even needing to absorb a bad contract or more money.

How is that not an A+?

14. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Get off Morey's ****, man.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should think about getting on Morey's **** Bennie, it might suit you.

Deckard and roslolian like this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We got a B player for a current D player.

roslolian likes this.
  17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

We have needed someone besides EG who can be counted to score 20-24 points on occasion. Lou Williams fits that need to a T.

DonKnock likes this.
  18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Lakers were lowballed thanks to their record. We took Lakers MVP for their team.

roslolian likes this.
  19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree that one benefit of this trade is that we still have the assets to go get a center. We are dead last in the league at defending inside 5ft, and very poor at Dreb %. A defensive center would make a huge difference even without being very good. Like ajinca for example, or bogut if he gets bought out.

I guess my feeling is that grading this trade alone, its an A. Grading the trade deadline so far is a B+ until Morey addresses our biggest need.

20. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I give it an A+++++++++++ given the context of what we traded and received, not of all possibilities in our minds.

roslolian and DonKnock like this.