1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another deadline move? Or is Morey done until summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Feb 21, 2017.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Who knows....if a first and Brewer worked for Lou then why not KJ and a 2nd for Tucker?

2. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

we should go all in now
    1.) Anderson + Dekker + 19' 1st pick (top 3 protected) + 17' 2nd pick (Denver's)
    for Millsap + Sefolosha

2.) K.J. or Harrell + rights to Llull for Kelly Olynyk

if Morey can get this done i think we have a chance to compete with the Warriors this year.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We should trade for Isaiah Thomas. We need MOAR scoring guards.

justtxyank and Jontro like this.
  4. Chamillionaire

That dude is a beast. Reminds me of KJs athleticism.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey's done in terms of playoff changing trades.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Even though Ariza has been garbage lately, I still don't want to trade him, maybe his defense or his presence in the locker room, or his experience in the playoffs, I still don't want to give up on him yet.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nene is giving you 8 pts and 4 rebs in 1t mins, if he got normal PT at around 30 mins per night that would be 16 pts and 8 rebs. How is that kind of performance "market value" at veteran minimum?

I am looking at other bigs his age. Tyson Chandler? Bogut? Zach Randolph? Pau Gasol? None of these guys are making minimum in fact a lot of them are double digits. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Even washed up guys like Amare and KG made more than vet min until they retired. Wtf

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  8. raining threes

Clumsy yes,

But he can play 20-25 mins a game and is a good rim protector and rebounder.

He doesn't appear to be that good in PNR.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thing is there is no minutes for Tucker or any other wing player that get proposed after the Lou trade (unless we trade away one or multiple of Bev/Gordon/Ariza). Let me post a rough idea of what our backcourt rotations will look like with Lou on the team.

Bev(24) / Lou(24)
    Harden(18) / Gordon(30)
    Ariza(30) / Harden(18)

And thats it. Bev and Lou split the minutes at PG, Harden plays 35 minutes, Ariza and Gordon get 30, could potentially see some Lou and Bev combo's that eat into Ariza/Gordon/Hardens minutes as well.

Then you have Anderson at PF getting 28-30 mpg, and Dekker backing him up getting 18-20 mpg, no room for Tucker/Wilson/Gallinari etc anymore after trading for Lou (unless we trade some key players which seems unlikely).

I could see the Rockets packaging Harrell/Dekker/KJ for an upgrade at the PF/C position because we definitely need some more rebounding, size and defense in the paint, but our back court looks set.

robbie380 likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking the same.

Right now, KJ has to be a piece that goes out if we make a trade, and we are obviously not touching rotation guys unless a significant upgrade is coming back. I'm not talking Chandler for Ariza (LOL!), I'm talking SERIOUS upgrade. Ariza is the best defender on the team sadly. We are the 15-20th worst defensive team and the 2nd best offensive team. So KJ has to go.

If KJ goes out, our only SF's are Ariza and Dekker. That's not ok. The whole point of getting Williams is to not subject ourselves to risk in the backcourt so why the hell would we do it at SF? Safe to say, if KJ is out then we are either receiving a SF or eyeing one to sign.

Looking at FA's, I'm WAAAAAY more confident we can pick up a good bench C on a vet min than a good backup SF. We're also more covered at C (Capela/Nene/Harrell) so we won't need as good a payer.

In the final 3-4 hours of the deadline, if Tucker is sitting there, Phoenix will trade him for whatever is the best offer. He is not down with tanking/rebuilding and he is an unrestricted FA. No one is going to give them a first for 3 months of Tucker. The Suns are not getting this guy back and they don't care about their record to end the season. KJ/Ennis + #40 COULD do it unless one of the 8 teams ahead of us in the second round jump in.

My guess is:

Atlanta >> pick too good to trade for Tucker, and they don't need him with Bazemore locked up long term.
    Lakers >> won't trade picks to rent a player in a season they don't care about
    Orlando >> rebuilding, no point getting Tucker
    Philly >> young team. could use Tucker, but feel like they won't give up #35 for 3 months of him
    Boston >> Very interested. They have Crowder, but seem unhappy with Gerald Green as his backup, and their SG's are small.
    Dallas >> Have Mattews/Barnes and they don't matter this season
    Utah >> I can see them being interested, but they currently have Hayward/Ingles/Joe Johnson. They are a possibility.
    Minnesota >> Definitely would be interested I think. Thibs' kinda guy. They are a bad defensive team and a good offensive one.

So looking at that, I think Boston and Minny could jump in. We have an outside shot of getting him for #40/KJ/Ennis if he's still available a few hours before deadline. Then we wait to sign a C for depth and we're SET.

Hakeemtheking, ramotadab and RudyTBag like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whats the point of trying to match up against GSW when they will break up after this year?

Millsap is a free agent who wants to get paid 30M at 5 years. Is he good enough for that? Ur gonna give assets so you can sign him to a max contract in the offseason? If he signs for another team you just gave up your first, 2nd pick and Dekker for what? A chance to get beat by GSW in 7 games?

All in moves are dumb, period.

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i think we might do another trade or 2....it is good to get the Williams deal done and not have it drag out until the deadline

13. dawesome

dawesome Member

Im pretty sure DM is not done. Getting rid of Brewer or should I say upgrading Brewer's position was second priority and getting Lou is a bonus. Our priority is getting a rim defender. KJ, Ennis, BB and Harrel, I think is being offered for a C. Hope someone bites.

14. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Morey will trade KJ and Ennis and a 2nd round pick for PJ Tucker, Thabo, Stanley Johnson or Robert Covington. Stay tuned.

#134 RocketsTerps, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

KJ and Harrell should be able to get us that rebounding big we need.

16. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Why would Atlanta give up Thabo for just a 2nd? We could probably get Covington dirt cheap but he doesn't help imo. Not in the form he's currently in. Johnson has proven nothing yet and he would cost more than that. Tucker would be nice no doubt, but Noel or O'Quinn would be nice. We can try and improve SF in the offseason or sign a cheap Hollis Thompson type if KJ is traded to come off the bench.

17. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Atlanta would likely value KJ as a rotation player. The 2nd round pick is the sweetener. Atlanta won't want to pay what Tim Hardaway Jr will command this summer. Thabo is a UFA this summer and won't let him walk for nothing like Horford did. Here's a similar take... http://hoopshabit.com/2017/01/20/houston-rockets-trades-true-contenders/

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd love for Morey to swing a trade for Kosta Koufos. Reportedly the Kings have made him available in their fire sale. The problem of course is we no longer have a first rounder to sweeten the deal and I don't know if we have enough salary to match his contract without throwing in a key rotation player like Dekker or Harrell. KJ and Ennis wouldn't be enough to get it done(at least I don't think).

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

If we get Thabo for a 2nd round pick I'll be on cloud 9

RocketsTerps likes this.
  20. eman

eman Contributing Member

I hope we'll keep KJ-- AND USE HIM-- now that Brew's gone. If MDa will expand his eight-man rotation down the stretch and through the playoffs, maybe he can convince these guys (Harden, most of all) to hustle and play savage defense. KJ can contribute.