1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy Butler or Paul George for Boston?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jogo, Feb 20, 2017.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Im sure the Celtics have everything the Bulls want for Butler.

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Damn, you're really going all in on that one BigMaloe. I like PG a lot and would love to see him here in a Rockets uniform but I'm not sure I would be willing to give up THAT much for him. I think I would offer either Gordon or Anderson, a choice of either Dekker or Harrell and a future unprotected first at the most. Plus fillers in case of salary matching. Also, if we get rid of Clint we will need to have at least 1 center coming back or that would leave us super thin at the 5 spot.

Bird would pretty much hang up the phone on that offer, I know. He would probably hang up the phone on anything we offer outside of Harden. But, I think to offer more would be too big of a risk in case PG gets hurt again and then we're pretty much screwed.

3. val_modus

val_modus Member

Agreed with pretty much all of this dudeness except the last part. Broken bones aren't like soft tissue injuries in that once you injure, you are more prone to reinjury.

4. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

I'd take PG with ability to slide over and play stretch 4

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I stated practically every player because I would let them choose, not that I would couple every player together. All them players together is to much salary.

But there isn't a combination of players on this roster, outside of harden, i wouldn't trade for George.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

George

He's longer bigger and the most important thing, the better three point shooter.

He's also a better defender.

Butler has regressed a lot on that end since he took over the superstar duties.

Vivi likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

to be fair PG has regressed on the defensive side as well. both guys used to be defensive first but has since fallen off once their offense became relied upon

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think either has regressed that much. They just don't focus on it, it isn't their calling card anymore. Both are primary scorers for their team. Butler to me...there are not many players that guard superstar players better than him. It's not some stat you can just look up, it's just something you watch and see.

If you pick up either of these guys, they will go back to being great defenders because Harden will create so much easy offense for them. I think George would be better though since the two are familiar with each other or friends or some such and that Butler may be secretly one of those bad teammate guy.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

My bold prediction is the rockets trade for Paul George in the summer.

Apparently Larry Bird will go talk to PG13 in the summer and see what he wants to do. I'm guessing he's not going to commit long term to Indy therefore he will be available for trade.

I think ultimately that's why we want to get Wilson Chandler right now. It helps us in the short term for this season plus puts us over the tax line to we're we have a 8m mle exception.

Offer Wilson Chandler/Sam dekker/Kj and one 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks for Paul George.

Leaves the rockets with a pretty stacked team with 8m to sign a nice guard to help harden/Gordon/bev.

Harden/FA
    Bev/Gordon
    George/Ariza
    Anderson/Ariza/
    Capela/nene/Harrell

That's a stacked 10 man rotation

AceOfSpades likes this.
  10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

If the Pacers are smart and they want to get max value for PG then they trade him VERY SOON. Otherwise they will get pennies on the dollar next season.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  11. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I would offer Ariza, Brewer, 2 firsts, and whatever picks we have lying around for PG. Who knows, maybe other teams are scared to offer anything because they know PG will bail after next season since they're not good enough and he wants to compete.

I know the Pacers want more, but that's the best the Rockets can offer them in a trade that makes sense for both the Pacers and the Rockets. Ariza and Brewer are expiring next season. They don't want Gordon/Anderson.

Maybe they want Dekker or Harrell and that's not stopping this trade.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed... although I'd say they don't have to trade him, but they should let him know they are going to feel out offers. Basically, "Paul, we love you, want you to retire a Pacer and first and foremost are trying to find ways to make the team better around you. But we are also going to gauge your value on the market as it would only be prudent to do so since you've indicated you won't sign any extension anytime soon."

If they can for example get the Celtics, Nets pick this year. I don't see how they could really pass that up. Turner is the future of the Pacers and is still young. The Pacers might want more but something like:

Jaylen Brown, 2017 Nets pick, Tyler Zeller, J. Jerebko
    for
    Paul George.

Works in the cap. And if the Pacers really like the upside of Brown, and end up with a top 2 pick and get one of the great young PGs, then they have a future of PG (Ball, Fultz), Brown, Turner to build around. Meanwhile, the Celtics aren't really giving up "that much" from a win now perspective.

13. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Great points. I think Boston is gonna walk away from this deadline the winner. They will land either PG or Butler and they will get a steal on one because Indy and Chicago have to compete with each other. Boston is the perfect spot for both players. It would create another contender in the East.

I prefer teams get good players like this rather than GSW signing Durant.

The truth is if PG becomes a FA one will likely sign with the Rockets. It's between us and Boston.

BTW, we could sign Gordon or Blake Griffin this off-season. Ariza would be easy to give away as an expiring, and Brewer would require a first.

14. JayZ750

Boston walks away the winner because even if they do nothing they are so absolutely stacked with assets its mind boggling. Sure, there's being stacked with assets and actually winning rings... that's BIG difference and sooner or later Ainge will have to answer that question. But they've got overseas draftees that coudl turn into great NBA players, they got Jaylen Brown who I'm not in love with but recognize he does have meaningful upside, and they've got the Nets next two first rounders. I think it's in their best interest to do something, even if in Ainge's mind it means overpaying... because otherwise why the heck did they sign a 31 year old Al Horford??

PG isn't a FA until after next summer. Lots of things can happen between now and then... definitely no certainty or even likelihood a FA Paul George signs with the Rockets. A possibility, sure.

I'd love Griffin. I think everybody would. But there's reports circulating this morning that CP3 has already verbally agreed to re-up with the Clippers, and honestly the Clippers are the best spot for Blake. HUGE market, in a city he probably loves, on a team that can be competitive every year. Sure they've either choked or been injured many years in a row, but it just takes one year and ring to go down as a winner. Plus the Clippers can offer him the most money.

I'd love to steal JJ Reddick away from them in the offseason, though.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I take Butler over George, talent wise. He's a better ball handler, can be a primary playmaker without turning the ball over much, and a slightly better defender. He also draws over twice as many free throws as George. George is a better pure shooter. He can stroke it from well beyond the 3 point line.

For Boston, I think George might be a better fit because they already have Bradley excelling in his role at the 2 and IT is doing all the playmaking duties. Butler is doing great at SF this year, but I think the 2 is his natural position. You can't go wrong with either guy. Boston will be stacked soon.

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That's the best deal they can get.

I'm not sure Boston gives up both picks but the pacers should be able to get atleast this years Brooklyn pick plus brown and fillers.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Would you guys trade Gordon if the Pacers ask for him in a trade scenario? Big question uh? I know we all want to keep Eric and that we will not trade him anyway this season but, i think with his contract he can actually be considered a pretty damn good asset IF the Pacers don't want to go in full rebuild mode.

18. JayZ750

It's really a solid deal. The Nets pick makes it so. It's so likely a top 2 pick in a strong draft.

Sure it's a rebuild and for a team that hasn't won less than 32 games in almost 30 years it'd be an interesting move but I'd go for it as the Pacers.

Plus it almost assuredly "tanks" this season giving the Pacers potentially another pick around the 10 spot.

19. JayZ750

Gordon as the centerpiece of a trade for PG? Of course. Anyone would.

Lou Williams isn't Eric Gordon but you could overpay to pick him up after getting PG and still have hat scorer off he bench.

But Eric Gordon isn't getting you Paul George.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah not alone obviously, but if the Pacers are eventually not looking for a rebuild i think Gordon should be a very interesting piece for them.