1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

'Doing nothing' in reference to upgrading the QB position.

Teams do have an ability to focus on multiple areas at one time. The Browns have also gone through many GM's, coaches, and front office execs.... each having its own vision, thus leading to a "reset" every 2-3 years (which is just as harmful as whiffing on multiple QB's).

In this case, the Texans need an upgrade. I would be thrilled to see them have a Cardinals/Broncos like run with an older vet.... or simply do a better job of what they attempted to do last year.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doing what is smart rather than trying to force something is the right course of action. If Romo wants to come here on the cheap to play till he gets hurt, awesome....but that doesn't mean the Texans should make that their #1 priority because that would be stupid. There's not any really good QB options out there right now so you don't force something just because there's a need. You fix the things you can fix. The O line was porous all season long and it's something fairly easy to fix that would make them a much better team no matter what else happened. Doing nothing else, an improved O line improves the run game and improves the passing game. It's really a no-brainer.

Gambling on different QB's every year on the other hand.....well sometimes it'll work, most of the time it won't.

3. Mr. Motiejunas

@Bobbythegreat sounds like a Political Science major I went to college with. Lol. Bobby did you go to UT 2008-2011?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Still defending the possibility that Brock is the right guy for this team... hillarious.

A concussed Romo would be better.

5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Draft Mahomes and taking a flyer on Romo is the best we can hope for as Texans fans unless Philip Rivers becomes available.

sammy and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was living in Austin about that time, but not going to UT.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one is talking about a concussed Romo, we're talking about an injured out for the season Romo....you know, how he's spend the vast majority of the last few seasons.

I'm also not necessarily saying ANYONE is the "right guy for this team", I'm just stating how things are. The Texans will have Osweiler on the team and aren't starting a rookie. That means that the realistic options are Romo till he gets hurt if he takes a massive pay cut, Savage, or Osweiler. You can live in fantasy land and deny that those are the realistic options, but it won't add anything meaningful to the conversation. I've said many times that I don't have a preference between Osweiler and Savage, I'd be down for whichever won the QB competition and I'd be fine with Romo playing till he gets hurt if he comes cheaply.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You being fine with savage/osweiler paints you has a severe toe the company line homer that is too pussified to comprehend much of anything else.

"Maybe Brock will be better..."

Nook likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Being fine with it or not being fine with it makes no difference, it's something that has a strong possibility of happening. You can throw a temper tantrum about it and kick and scream if you like, but the adults will ignore you while trying to discuss what is actually going to happen grounded in reality.

Wattafan likes this.
  10. raining threes

What I would like to see happen in the draft is draft one of the top 3 ot in the draft. Then trade back into the 1st and pick Lamp. Then sign Cutler or Romo in fa.

Think of the Texans with a talented young ol

Brown,Mancz,Martin,Lamp,Bolles protecting Cutler or Romo.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would certainly make things interesting. It would be nice to see the Texans protect the QB for a change. Hell if they did a good enough job, Romo might make it a game or two before going down with a season ending injury.

raining threes likes this.
  12. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Here we are, another opportunity to get a vet QB coming back from injury who wants to join the Texans. The team seriously need to look at Romo or at least garoppolo, you can't as a franchise keep on wasting the prime of your elite players. Anything else pretty much means another season where management just does not care.

Yaosthirdleg and raining threes like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I really don't think you understand the purpose of a discussion board.

Again, you're giving a corporate/company-line answer that nobody is asking of you.

This is not an exercise of "what is the most likely thing to happen..." its an exercise of what should happen.

Are you fine with going into next season with Brock/Savage/Rookie QB? Simple question... don't write a paragraph discussing things nobody is asking you. Yes or no?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm giving an answer grounded in reality, something you don't want to hear. I get it, in the offseason it's fun to go nuts with ridiculous fantasy for some and you are just one of those types. That's just not me. I'm not having a conversation about what would be fun to do in Madden, I'm talking about the reality of the Texans franchise right now.

As of right now, if Romo doesn't take a huge pay cut then yeah, you are going into next season with Brock/Savage/rookie and that's okay. It's better to do that than harm the franchise long term while hoping for a miracle. If the rookie pans out, great, the position is solidified going forward after he sits for a year. If he doesn't, you keep looking but you keep building the team as you look.

15. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Either option would give Texans an immediate upgrade.
    Romo has the track record but is damaged goods approaching the end of his career.
    Garoppolo does not have the track record but his mechanics and available film strongly suggest he could develop into a franchise guy and is young.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. raining threes

They're pretty much the same QB.

One is just older than the other.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, minus your usual verbal diarrhea... you're fine with Brock/Savage/Rookie?

Wow.

A thousand posts/day... and this is your so-called "expert" hot take.

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Jimmy doesn't have the injury cloud hanging over him.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If we go into next season with Brock/Savage/Rookie...the entire organization should fold.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Be careful... you'll be branded as a "bad Texans fan" for that statement.... while the follow-up post will be, "its going to be a long off-season...."

I know die-hard season ticket holders who would be throughly dissapointed with the status quo. Seeing 17 games of it should be enough for most knowledgeable football fans. Doesn't mean they're giving up their season tix or their Texans fandom... but its hilarious to see the verba diarrhea in response to any particular stance that seems to go against the company line.