1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 NBA Trade Deadline Deals and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah i get what you're saying, but Tyler Johnson is an athletic combo guard who plays well both sides of the court, on paper he would've been a pretty good get and a perfect fit here with how this team is built, and the thing i do not agree is that he's overpaid, imo he's not, it's basically a 12.5x4 which is pretty good for what the guy brings. Crabbe, Mahinmi, Biyombo, Mozgov, Turner on the other end are getting a 16/18x4 and they're one way/old/done players...these guys are definitely overpaid.

Sanity2disChaos and Jatman20 like this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I agree that it's very unlikely. There were hints of a trade with Denver, but I seriously doubt Griffin would consider staying there....which would kill the trade.

Boston of course has the assets, but Griffin is an odd fit next to Horford. I think they will focus more on George or Butler.

Outside of those 2, I don't see another current playoff team with as much assets to trade as Houston.

With the Rockets having a very good stretch 4 and young, rotation proven players on multi-year rookie deals at positions of need for LAC, I can see it.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I think the only team that could get him out of Utah is Boston.

craguin and BigMaloe like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, definitely, maybe a sign&trade is also a possible scenario...even though, i'd prefer to trade Ryan to another team to get pick/s or something valuable back while not helping the Clippers.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, in the end you never know, but this how i feel too, i don't see him leaving the Jazz to come here (over Boston) unfortunately...

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's kind of why I like this potential Griffin deal. You unload Andersons contract, which opens up the potential of a max deal this summer.

While Boston has a lot going for it, I think teaming up with Harden and Griffin would Trump all those picks and mid tier players.

7. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I want to make it clear Vivi that my beef is not with you. I'm a big fan of Morey; but I reserve the right to
    criticize him from time to time. The Lin/Asik contracts were big factors in getting Harden to sign his extension
    with Houston immediately after being traded to Houston; but It's my belief that Morey held on to both contracts for too long a period. I wanted the Rockets to trade for the expiring contract of
    Brewer; but I insisted they let him walk. I was pushing for Aminu in place of re-signing Brewer.

The Tyler Johnson contract is back loaded and not spread out on the average over the length of the
    contract. It's $5.9M (16/17), $5.9M (17/18), $19M (18/19) & $19M (19/20). So yes it's a good contract
    to start out with. The Rockets wanted Lin & Asik to grow into their poison pill contract final years as
    Miami will hope Tyler Johnson will. Maybe he will.....maybe he won't.

16/17
    Tyler Johnson: 13.8 Pts, 34.9 3P%, 111 ORtg, 107 DRtg, 20.6 USG%
    Ariza:............... 11.7 Pts, 35.3 3P%, 112 ORtg, 107 DRtg, 14.3 USG%.........$7.8M

Aminu: 15/16....10.2 Pts, 36.1 3P%, 105 ORtg, 107 DRtg, 16.9 USG%.........$8.0M

Aminu:..16/17....**8.3 Pts,30.7 3P%, 96 ORtg, 109 DRtg, 15.5 USG%...........$7.7M (injuries this yr)

Understanding Tyler Johnson vs Ariza/Aminu being different positions.
    I would prefer the Ariza/Aminu contracts at a combined $15.5M this year. Combined: 20 Pts & 13 rbs per game. I'm not sure Tyler Johnson would get such a high USG% w/Houston as he is in Miami.
    It's possible because EGordon probably wouldn't be with the Rockets.

**Aminu has struggled with injuries throughout the season and finally appears healthy.
    Aminu is shooting 46.7% from 3-pt land in 5 games of Feb. (14 out of 30 attempts)
    I'm not sure Brewer has ever hit 14/30 (3's); even in his dreams.

#47 Jatman20, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Vivi likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Past trade deadlines:
    2016 - The infamous Motiejunas/Thornton to Detroit trade for Joel Anthony and 1st round pick.
    2015 - KJ McDaniels and TPE for Isaiah Canaan and 2nd round pick, Pablo Prigioni and TPE for Alexey Shved, TPE and 2 2nd round picks
    2014 - Jordan Hamilton for Aaron Brooks
    2013 - Marcus Morris for 2nd round pick, Garcia, Honeycutt and Robinson for Aldrich, Douglas, Patterson and cash
    2012 - Camby for Flynn, Thabeet and 2nd round pick, Jordan Hill for Derek Fisher and 1st round pick
    2011 - Aaron Brooks for Goran Dragic and 1st round pick, Shane Battier and Ish Smith for DeMarre Carroll, Thabeet and 1st round pick.
    2010 - Rockets trade McGrady, Landry, Dorsey, get Jordan Hill, Kevin Martin, Jared Jeffries

You can look at this a few ways.... #1, it's been about 6 years since we made an impactful deadline move, so we're due. Or the other way: it's been a long time since we've made an impactful deadline move.

Also - I honestly wasn't aware that we had (and immediately waived) Demarre Carroll. :(
    1. Kevin Martin (solid)
    2. Goran Dragic (solid!)
    3. Marcus Camby (old, but solid)
    4. Demarre Carroll (whaaaat??)
    5. JK McDaniels (scrub / underutilized)
    6. Jordan Hill (bleh)
    7. Hasheem Thabeet (D-league bench player)
    8. Jordan Hamilton (scrub)
    9. Joel Anthony (scrub)
    10. Marcus Morris (bleh)
    11. Derek Fisher (devil incarnate)
    12. Jared Jeffries (scrub)
    13. Cisco Garcia (bleh)
    14. Thomas Robinson (scrub)
    15. Tyler Honeycutt (...)
    Source: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Houston-Rockets/10/trade-deadline

#48 napalm06, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Hui, BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we could trade for a prime Artest like back when we had Yao.

D-rock likes this.
  10. seeingred

seeingred Member

That's the trade that got me interested in basketball again. "The Rockets traded for that dude who went up in the stands? Sold."

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pacers willing to trade 1st round pick for established player (Sorry, Corey Brewer doesn't count. ;))

NEW ORLEANS -- In an attempt to secure help for All-Star forward Paul George, the Indiana Pacers have made their 2017 first-round pick available in a trade, league sources said.

In what is considered to be a deep draft, the Pacers are hoping that such an asset would translate to the addition of either an established wing or established frontline player, according to sources.

There is hesitancy within the organization to relinquish the precious pick, but the Pacers (29-28) have lost six in a row (only the nine-win Nets currently have a longer losing streak, at 14 games) and are only two games from dropping into the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.

George can opt out of his contract at the end of the 2017-18 season. The Pacers have a small window to provide him with a championship-type supporting cast.

And whether he signs an extension this summer probably will be predicated on the moves the franchise can execute up to that point.

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Saving myself from what?

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Jesus.

Williamson likes this.
  14. rockets13champs

spelling hayward wrong

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I never spelled Hayward wrong. That was someone else.

16. Nivos

Nivos Member

Just a heat check:
    How much you guys give up for Lue Williams?
    I'm talking Draft picks because that's what the Lakers are after

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'd give them Brewer and our first but doubt they would be up for that.

18. Nivos

Nivos Member

Ye, I think they'll want more than that.
    A friend of mine who's a big Lakers fan offered 2 second round picks+ Williams for McDaniels, Ennis and 2 first round picks.
    I think that's closer to what the Lakers would be asking. And I thought it was a steep price for a bench player, even if a good one on a nice contract.
    Just wondering how much Williams is worth to the guys here on CF.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lmao two 1st rounders for Williams...i wouldn't give them a 1st, and that guy wants two? I understand he's a Lakers fan but smh...if someone gives them two 1st round picks (which will never happen obviously), i'd say we can trade Beverley for three lol
    and just for the record, i don't even want Williams here

Jatman20 and arabrocket like this.