1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He did good against those types in college with the bad footwork.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would be ok with taking OT first rd, but they have to trade up in the second to get a QB then, none of them will make it to us in the second. And if all these QBs need work, then we need to get them now. Use Osweiler or Savage for this season and groom them. We can't wait until next year to get a QB to groom.

Side note: if we had to go with one (IMO we do) would you rather grab a FA QB or draft one in the first and OT in the second? I put it that way since I know your main want is to draft OT in first and go from there. Just saying if those were your only options, which would you go with? You don't even have to say who you would draft or pick up in FA.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Those types? You're comparing the Big 12 "defense" to the top defenses in the NFL. Not even close.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Did you watch any Big 12 football last season?

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No, but I did watch the Texans. We are in a crappy division with crappy QB play and we still made the playoffs. With Mahomes and a beefed up OL we can do better.
    You guys act like we're drafting the entire Texas Tech lineup.

raining threes and askball like this.
  6. gucci888

No doubt. But you can't say he did good "against those types" in college either. The Big 12 play ZERO defense last season, and I mean zero. Luckily our division doesn't play much either but one of the negatives on Mahome is breaking out from the pocket too early, I'd be concerned with that considering the defenses he faced.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If those are the only two options, I take the FA QB and draft an OT in the first. There's no point in drafting a QB if you aren't going to fix the O line and the OT talent pool is very shallow, it's why IMO they simply have to draft one in the first. There's no QB that would be likely to start the first season anyway, so it's best to fix the O line with an OT in the first and pick up a FA QB to be next season's Brandon Weeden.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Because exactly this I watched only his OU and SEC opponent film and he still looked great.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I can get on board with that. If they don't franchise tag him, my favorite would be Cousins. What if they got the best available OT in the first, would you be good with trading up in the 2nd for a QB if still there by like the 10-15 pick?

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think most of the concern is
    Then again our QB play was so shaky last season that it is very possible that a rookie could come here and start.

11. gucci888

Not sure if you're agreeing with me but OU was 111 out of 127 teams in pass defense last season. I'm assuming you also meant the Texas Bowl versus LSU last year. Ya he played well but the LSU pass defense also wasn't that great, 12th worst in the conference. Those are still 2 blue blood programs with NFL caliber players on defense so have to give credit when it's due, but citing that OU game is where things can get dangerous IMO.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, if that's what they want to do I could get on board with it or at least give them the benefit of the doubt till I saw reason to question it. That said, I have almost no faith in their ability to evaluate QB talent, least of all BOB's, so I won't really be expecting much.

I highly doubt it. BOB uses a complex system that takes a really long time to pick up, I doubt there would be any QB in this class that could come in and pick it up well enough to start their very first season. A fixed O line could make it easier, but it's simply not a Kubiak type system anymore.

13. ipaman

Stats aside, OU was very decent last year and beat an SEC team in the Sugar Bowl.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

raining threes likes this.
  16. ipaman

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is why you use 2-3 picks for the offense line. At least the 2nd and 3rd round picks because there will still be good linemen around.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure there will be starting quality tackle prospects there in the late 2nd, it's a really shallow draft at that spot. Given that we're likely going into next season with either Savage or Osweiler at QB no matter what QB we draft, we can't afford to have a terrible RT.

Nook likes this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Walter football has Mahomes going #10 to Buffalo in the latest draft.

This is what I'm worried about. Buffalo or Cleveland.

20. Victorious

Victorious Member

If they grab someone like Cousins, I don't see them drafting a QB in the 2nd. But according to our owner, its more likely we draft a QB than signing one in FA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.