1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Being in position to win five Super Bowls and seven conference championships is not the same thing as winning five Super Bowls and seven conference championships.

Take just this year; look at the Patriots' Super Bowl run... they were lucky to face Brock Osweiler in the divisional round; lucky LeVeon Bell got hurt in the AFC CG; lucky the Falcons made cataclysmic mistakes to help nuke a 25-point 3Q lead in the Super Bowl...

Yes, building a successful franchise is foundational. But that doesn't guarantee you're going to actually *win* championships. I think the Astros have built a wonderful foundation and should be among the better teams in MLB for the foreseeable future. But I'm not making parade plans.

People see "luck" and think it invalidates success. The Patriots are a terrific team. But they've absolutely been lucky. I mean, look how shitty their division has been for very nearly 20 straight years - you don't think playing six games a year against teams perpetually drafting in the top 10 has been lucky?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So in your mind the Texans are such a great franchise that the "standard" every season should be to win the SB? I mean, in reality there isn't any team that great in the NFL.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Do you think the lack of championships lowers your confidence at all?

Tha_Dude likes this.
  4. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

There are plenty of great franchises in the NFL. Pats, Steelers, Packers, Giants, just to name a few.

But, I'm quite sure that making the playoffs isn't something that those teams pat themselves on the back for. Winning the SB is pretty much the only thing that matters to those teams.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And none of those teams has the SB as the "standard", no matter what you might think. The "standard" might be making the playoffs or winning their division, perhaps even the conference championship game, but no team has the SB as the "standard".....and of those teams, only the Patriots would be so high as to see the championship game as the "standard". Hell, the Giants are just happy if they even make the playoffs, they struggle to do that most of the time. They have one playoff berth in the last 5 seasons and only 3 in the last 10.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

No fair that 2 of those were SB's won... lol

7. Tha_Dude

I agree with you 100% on the Astros. If they end up winning it all this year it won't be because "luck" was the biggest factor, though. It will be because of the wonderful foundation that they built, as you said.

Houstunna likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, so they won the SB twice and were garbage pretty much every other season....

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

There is a part of me, that would take 3 years of garbage for 1 SB. Just to make media and other people take us more seriously. Or can we at least PLAY in a SB? lol.

EDIT: a very small part of me, hell, I feel like we already had our 3 years somewhere in there.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All that would happen is that they would call it a fluke....wanna know how I know? Think about what is said about the Rockets in the 90's.

Also, with the Giants, it was 7 years of garbage for 2 SB's

11. Tha_Dude

Hell, I would take 2 SB's and 8 years of losing over 10 years of mediocrity, no SB's while never moving the needle.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. Tha_Dude

That's fine, let them try to do that. It seems like you have a real aversion to winning titles, Bobby. That's not a good character trait, bro.

Real fans should be all about seeing their teams win, no matter what the stakes may be. Luck be damned.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have a real aversion to front running fans. Those who say they'd be happy if the Texans had won a SB 10 years ago and they've been terrible ever since are lying even if they don't realize it. I absolutely want the Texans to win it all, but I'm not going to be foolish enough to think that it's SB or bust every single season.....especially when I know ahead of time that isn't a realistic expectation of the team given that they were plagued by injury from day one. There are other accomplishments that should be enjoyed in the seasons where the team realistically doesn't have a chance to win it all. They still managed one of the best defenses in the league without JJ Watt, that's pretty amazing. They managed to win their division yet again with all sorts of injuries and disadvantages. If you can't enjoy those kinds of things, you are going to be a pretty miserable fan.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  14. Tha_Dude

I'm not miserable and not going to lose any sleep over the outcome. Dude is perfectly calm right now but I can see why it might be hard to tell since we're having this discussion over a message board and not directly face to face. I'm not whining, not mad, not sad, etc. I just have different opinions on how the team is being run right now. I would like to see the Texans front office set the bar a bit higher than simply making the playoffs each year.

That said, I will be watching them and supporting them either way just the same as you. I hope Brock proves us all wrong and comes back and has a strong year next year, hope JJ comes back to his old form too. I agree with you in that I don't think the Texans will be making any changes to the QB situation but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Good talk, Bobby.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, of course the Dude will abide no matter what, but I'm talking about all of the other non-Dude Texans fans.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Since Eli has started, Giants have been below .500 only three times. One season was 7-9, and the other 2 were 6 wins.

Where are you getting they've been "garage pretty much every other season"?

#476 Houstunna, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They have made the playoffs only 3 times in the past 10 seasons, only won their division twice. We have Texans fans saying that winning your division 4 times in 6 years is "mediocre".....so by brilliant Texans fan logic, missing the playoffs 7 of 10 seasons has to be complete garbage since it's that much worse than "mediocre" which means "not very good"

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Winning the weak South while never winning a championship, much less making the SB, much less making the conference game, is pretty mediocre.

I understand why you need to disregard championships. Another poster already mentioned his lack of confidence the Astros will win, despite their potentially being a really good team for years to come.

19. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Winning the weak NFC East isn't any more impressive than winning the AFC South.....but the Giants could only pull it off 2 times in the past 10 seasons. It's just more "grass is greener" type talk from a fanbase that shouldn't be as depressed as they are for whatever reason.