1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man I've been holding NVDA, with a 4% jump today..should I bail?

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Congrats, NVDA is overdue for a 30%-50% pullback one of these days after this parabolic move, but that probably won't happen until the market overall takes a rest, which is not yet. NVDA is actually an important supplier for TSLA, since all their new cars now run on NVDA chips for their semi-autonomous features. When the Model 3 comes out later this year and start selling hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions, it will be a huge boon for NVDA as well.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nice buy, that is actually my latest entry as well. I am looking to add to my holdings with margin if we get a pullback here(would be my largest holding ever), or if we start tickling all time highs around 270. Short interest is at the most ever right now, and almost every short is currently losing money. It will only take a little bit of good news to set off an epic squeeze not unlike in 2013.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah I went long on NVDA largely because I was bullish on their prospects due to the car chips. But I've made a lot on it so far and have been weighing my portfolio to pullback to cash. Right now I'm 99% invested with my non-emergency savings.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

go us, i've been holding NVDA since it was at 30.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

What's the consensus on the Snapchat IPO? I wasn't a fan of Facebook when they went public. I just don't see how revenue can be generated beyond what they have. Facebook looks to have way more options than Snapchat as far as ad space and whatnot. I just don't want to miss the boat again on these popular social media stocks. Twitter, too. Lots of eyes, but how can they control quality of data? Without accurate data of demographics, the advertisement algorithms will be broken and worthless.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Long term NVDA probably has a ways more to go since they haven't even started capitalizing on their car chips yet, and eventually all cars will turn into computers on wheels. But medium term after going from 20 to 120 in a straight line there is no way it doesn't pullback at some point. Then again short term it doesn't look that pullback is coming quite yet. (its all about timeframe)

8. fallenphoenix

Recently there was a little pullback from around 110 to 100 after reports that they will encounter increased competition this year, but they've recovered.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hah, after the move that its made, that's not a pullback. I'm talking about pulling back 30% minimum. Trust me it will happen, but who knows it might hit 150 first.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

NVDA is doing well because AMD can't make chips that you can put in laptops with comparable performance. That is were a majority of their increase has come from. The ML and Car stuff is just hype at this point. If AMD can ever deliver which is looking unlikely NVDA will get crushed. ATI AMD merger was a pretty terrible merger.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

You don't go up 600% in a year without at least a little(or a lot) of hype. But just because its hype doesn't mean it won't happen. If TSLA delivers on their Model 3 plans, NVDA's car chips are going to turn into reality real quick.

12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I would advise to use extreme caution and not get caught up in the hype. Here's why:

Growth has slowed 82% after Instagram Stories launched. Furthermore, Snapchat posted a loss of $514.8 Million in 2016. Those facts are enough for me to consider it not worth the $25 Billion valuation Wall Street is speculating. This is the Twitter IPO all over again, a great digital product without a great business model. Therefore, trade at your own risk.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/02/slowchat/

[​IMG]

clutch citizen likes this.
  13. fallenphoenix

These kinds of IPOs are usually a safe bet as long as you sell before the lock-up period ends.

clutch citizen likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

It all depends on what you bought NVDA at. Frankly, NVDA is one company I wish I got in earlier as it is very well positioned to being a leader suppler of the chips needed to power the machine learning revolution. It goes far beyond self driving cars, although those will be a very important market.

Another one to look at is Cognizant.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

https://electrek.co/2017/02/08/tsla-wall-street-bet-against-tesla/

Short interest at a record high of $9 billion betting against Tesla. Meanwhile it just keeps busting higher. The general market is in a raging bull market, while Tesla specifically will be launching a new product that will triple or quadruple its revenue in a few months. All this is potentially setting up one of the greatest short squeezes ever. I know I already got my tickets to the show.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Tesla is risky but I wouldn't short it. I don't own it since it's too risky for my tastes personally. Production of the model 3 in 2018/19 will make or break Tesla as they put forth a rather ambitious timeline that doesn't leave much room for error. I hope Tesla succeeds but they still have an uphill climb.

Junebball likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Production of Model 3 is actually supposed to start THIS year. We will see if they can hit that, but news of pre-production test vehicles starting Feb 20 has got the stock at 52 week high today. You guys buy yet? The party really starts above 280 so not too late yet.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

I've been a trader for 20 years and know plenty of other pros too. If you are not looking at TSLA right now don't call yourself a trader. Every trader I know has it at the top of their radar right now.(not all are bullish yet but this will be the IT stock of 2017 IMO)

fallenphoenix likes this.
  19. fallenphoenix

I've been in and out of TSLA for a few years now. Typically it just goes back and for between 200-280. Maybe the Model 3 will push it to new highs, but we'll see.

Started my current position at $200

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Same. Didn't catch it in the 30s 40s but been trading it since 140s when they first had the fire scares. It's been in a defined range for 3 years. These ranges don't last forever. In fact, when the range becomes too obvious is when it stops working. Otherwise everyone and their grandma would be buying low and selling high as easily as it sounds(which we know is not the case).