1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Jay713

Jay713 Member

If we get most of 86 wins against the "dregs", then I'd be concerned.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Even if they win the World Series as in the scenario I posted? Why would you be concerned?

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If they are too far away to be used in a trade, they are too far away to be considered replacements for near future performance. Can't have it both ways.

This would be the third year in a row that the Astros depended heavily on rookies for making the playoffs. In 2015 and 2016, the rookies answered the call...granted the veterans, most notably the returning Cy Young Winner and Gomez, let them down last year. Martes may falter (but odds are if he falters as a SP, he'll still be a good reliever), but I can almost guarantee some Astros rookie will contribute in 2017 and the Astros are counting on it even if they don't know who it is. Trading away Martes just removes the most likely rookie to contribute. Perez's odds are near zero.

On Tucker, I think you are drastically underestimating what it means for a guy to be as highly rated a prospect as he is while being in A+ at his age. He could suck in the majors, but I doubt minor league pitchers are going to slow him down too much. He isn't the boom or bust type of prospect that has trouble making contact. He'll be up in 2018 probably just after Super 2 even though it is unlikely he's needed for a playoff chase. Even if he's non-factor in 2018, he'll be in majors well before Celestino with a good chance of actually being a player.

4. Jay713

Jay713 Member

because that doesn't sound realistic. Moving on.

5. bobrek

Not realistic? The Astros made the WS in 2005 by winning the wild card by one game (albeit with 89 wins). They went 12-4 against the Reds who won 73 games. They were 5-11 against the Cardinals. They were 1-5 against the Braves.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

I think a great comparison for Tucker is Christian Yelich.

Yelich is an incredibly unique hitter (fangraphs has several articles on his off-the-chart Hard% and GB%), but I do think Tucker could emulate Yelich's first couple seasons once he gets the call. Personally, I'm a huge Yelich fan. I love his approach and the way he plays. I'd be ecstatic to have a Yelich 2.0 in Houston. That type of hitter would would be warmly welcomed in 2018 or 2019, and I think Tucker would immediately help HOU in a pennant race if his early seasons mirror that of Yelich.

7. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Gutting a minor league systems best prospect is only acceptable when your one or two guys away. Teams have imploded in the past, due to injury, scandal, regression, bickering among teammates, etc.... It's too early to go all in, I repeat too early.

I am of the opinion, I'd rather pay a little more at the trade deadline, and see what all the fuss over our prospects is about, before giving them all away for someone we may not even need.

It is pretty much accepted that at this point, that among the teams who have a realistic chance are the Astros. So it is Boston, Houston, and Cleveland leading the pack.

I'm glad the Astros are practicing patience. Like Luhnow said it's about now and the future.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

People don't realize how the baseball postseason works. Just get in.

9. Jay713

Jay713 Member

people aren't talking about just getting in. Houston teams are always just getting in. Winning in the postseason is the conversation here. Great teams (and usually the ones than counter great pitching/hitting thoroughly in the season) are the ones holding the crown.

10. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

11. awc713

awc713 Member

His point is that the MLB playoffs is a crapshoot. Between 1979 and 2010, the WS winner lead the league in wins six times. Houston's goal is to win a championship, but to do so, your goal must be to consistently go to the playoffs, not to have the best record in any given year. Thats how the Cardinals and Giants built championships. Yes, certain years require going "all in". And surely, teams need to be fortified in certain areas to help sustain postseason runs. But getting in, over and over and over again, is the key to winning a championship.

Joe Joe likes this.
  12. bobrek

cangrejero1 faints

bigdaddy, kaleidosky and awc713 like this.
  13. juicystream

Proof that you don't understand MLB postseason...

14. Major

Major Member

I think people that say it's purely a crapshoot don't understand the postseason either. Better teams still win more often.

The trick is that what helps you win in the regular season is different from the postseason, so simply comparing wins is not very useful. A #5 pitcher, for example, is really valuable in the regular season as they start 15-20% of your games, while they start 0% in the postseason. A #1 is more valuable in the postseason, because instead of 20-25% of your games, they might start 30-40% of your postseason games depending on the scheduling. Similarly, a deep bullpen is less valuable than a few elite top-tier arms in a series where you use your top relievers a lot more, etc.

The better team may not win 80 or 90% of the time like in the NBA, for example. But a team that wins their division and has a 60% chance of winning each series has a 21% chance of winning the World Series. A team that wins a Wild Card spot (50/50 in the WC game) and has a 40% chance of winning each series has a 3% chance of winning the WS. Making the playoffs once with the first team gives you the same chance to win a WS as making the playoffs 7 times with the latter team.

15. bobrek

Where do you get these percentages?

16. juicystream

It is a pretty big crapshoot. You do clearly want to win your division (one game is a hell of a risk, plus you won't be able to set your rotation for the division series), but beyond that? Not really important. What you need is guys to get hot and timely plays made. We see deeply flawed teams succeed in the postseason frequently.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

2017 Draft Order
    1. Minnesota Twins
    2. Cincinnati Reds
    3. San Diego Padres
    4. Tampa Bay Rays
    5. Atlanta Braves
    6. Oakland Athletics
    7. Arizona Diamondbacks
    8. Philadelphia Phillies
    9. Milwaukee Brewers
    10. Los Angeles Angels
    11. Chicago White Sox
    12. Pittsburgh Pirates
    13. Miami Marlins
    14. Kansas City Royals
    15. Houston Astros
    16. New York Yankees
    17. Seattle Mariners
    18. Detroit Tigers
    19. San Francisco Giants
    20. New York Mets
    21. Baltimore Orioles
    22. Toronto Blue Jays
    23. Los Angeles Dodgers
    24. Boston Red Sox
    25. Washington Nationals
    26. Texas Rangers
    27. Chicago Cubs
    28. Blue Jays (for Encarnacion)
    29. Rangers (for Desmond)
    30. Cubs (for Fowler)
    31. Tampa Bay Rays
    32. Cincinnati Reds
    33. Oakland Athletics
    34. Milwaukee Brewers
    35. Minnesota Twins
    36. Miami Marlins
    37. Minnesota Twins
    38. Cincinnati Reds
    39. San Diego Padres
    40. Tampa Bay Rays
    41. Atlanta Braves
    42. Pittsburgh Pirates
    43. Oakland Athletic
    44. Arizona Diamondbacks
    45. Philadelphia Phillies
    46. Milwaukee Brewers
    47. Los Angeles Angels
    48. Colorado Rockies
    49. Chicago White Sox
    50. Pittsburgh Pirates
    51. Miami Marlins
    52. Kansas City Royals
    53. Houston Astros
    54. New York Yankees
    55. Seattle Mariners
    56. St. Louis Cardinals
    57. Detroit Tigers
    58. San Francisco Giants
    59. New York Mets
    60. Baltimore Orioles
    61. Toronto Blue Jays
    62. Los Angeles Dodgers
    63. Boston Red Sox
    64. Cleveland Indians
    65. Washington Nationals
    66. Texas Rangers
    67. Chicago Cubs
    68. Arizona Diamondbacks
    69. San Diego Padres
    70. Colorado Rockies
    71. Cleveland Indians
    72. Pittsburgh Pirates
    73. Kansas City Royals
    74. Baltimore Orioles
    75. St. Louis Cardinals
    76. Minnesota Twins
    77. Cincinnati Reds
    78. San Diego Padres
    79. Tampa Bay Rays
    80. Atlanta Braves
    81. Oakland Athletic
    82. Arizona Diamondbacks
    83. Philadelphia Phillies
    84. Milwaukee Brewers
    85. Los Angeles Angels
    86. Colorado Rockies
    87. Chicago White Sox
    88. Pittsburgh Pirates
    89. Miami Marlins
    90. Kansas City Royals
    91. Houston Astros
    92. New York Yankees
    93. Seattle Mariners
    94. St. Louis Cardinals
    95. Detroit Tigers
    96. San Francisco Giants
    97. New York Mets
    98. Baltimore Orioles
    99. Toronto Blue Jays
    100. Los Angeles Dodgers
    101. Boston Red Sox
    102. Cleveland Indians
    103. Washington Nationals
    104. Texas Rangers
    105. Chicago Cubs

[​IMG]

Luhnow continues to keep tabs on LH relief market but said "at this point I'm not sure that anything's going to get done there."

A.J. Hinch said Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio & Phil Garner will each be in spring training at various points as guest instructors.

Jeff Luhnow doesn't expect anything dramatic to happen in terms of bringing in another pitcher via trade heading into spring training

Luhnow during Q and A at #Astros FanFest Fan Forum: "We talk trades on a daily basis. I don't know if anything is going to happen."

Tyler White lost 35lbs since start of last season. #Astros asked him to add 10 since

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree with a lot of this, but when all is said and done....very tough for a team that is in playoffs for 3 years to have better WS odds than team that is in playoffs for 5 years. Astros appear to be trying to be division winner for a lot of years instead of trying to have the best team possible this year.

Also, having the best team on paper isn't going to help if you have injuries or just guys having bad years.

20. Major

Major Member

Which percentages? The 60% and 40%? I just made them up as examples - every team will be different. But historically, you could just to the past data in betting odds. What odds were the Cubs given to win each series last year as compared to the Wild Card teams? Over the long-haul, the betting odds will generally match the win %s (otherwise, there's an arbitrage opportunity and the betting odds would get adjusted).

That is certainly true, but that's just the laws of math. Most teams have real flaws. Using my made up 60/40 match, your two best teams might each have a 20% chance of winning, but the other 8 teams still combine for a 60% chance of winning, so you're often still going to see lesser teams win - it's just the odds of your specific lesser team winning is much lower.

Agree with this - in general, if you make the playoffs 5 years in a row, you're probably a very solid team capable of overcoming injuries/etc, so you're probably on the upper end of the spectrum. I'm not opposed to the concept - but projecting length of windows 4 or 5 years down the road is a tricky business. Look back 5 years and I'm not sure how many of the current good teams looked anything like they do now or if anyone projected to be what they are now.

I don't agree here. Being the best and deepest team on paper meant that the Cubs could overcome the loss of what was expected to be a key piece in Schwarber. If you're a 85-90 win team to start, you don't have that margin of error that you have if you're a 100+ win team on paper. If the goal is to make the playoffs every year to give yourself more opportunities, being the best team on paper helps a lot to give you that buffer to make it year-in and year-out.