1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

not even worried about the pats. looking forward to the winner of pit-kc

macho GRANDE, ipaman and houstonstime like this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It''s getting to the point where I don't care if chiefs/steelers bend us over in the following game. I just want to shut everyone up and have ONE week of positive.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

4. Houstunna

Supporting Member

20 mil for the talent
    16 mil for the height

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still sucking up all that NE money...and not budging off - 16. The Pats are an overbought stock.

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I'll take a 20-point beatdown if South Oklahoma losses

Fulgore, jev5555 and houstonstime like this.
  7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dont feel
    I had D Hop and thought i was set.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'll consider it a victory if we beat the spread

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Today's ESPN Blog looks at the Texans - Patriots game:

Texans will need perfect plan to beat heavily favored Patriots
    11:00 AM CT
    Houston Texans reporter Sarah Barshop and New England Patriots reporter Mike Reiss take an in-depth look at Saturday's AFC divisional playoff game in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

HOUSTON TEXANS
    Record: 9-7

First place, AFC South

Tom Brady, who was suspended for the first four games of the season. Backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo injured his shoulder just four days before the game, so the Texans faced the Patriots' third-string quarterback, rookie Jacoby Brissett, who was making his first career NFL start.

And they still lost 27-0.

Now, the Texans head to New England to face a Patriots team with a week of rest under its belt and Brady coming off an MVP-esque regular season. Bill Belichick's 14-2 team looks poised to make another run through the AFC to its second Super Bowl in the past three years. The Texans are the first obstacle in New England's way.

[​IMG]
    TEXANS' X FACTOR
    Texans coach Bill O'Brien tends to shut down any talk of gaining an advantage when you play a team a second time in a season because both teams have changed. But one takeaway from when these teams played at Gillette Stadium in Week 3: Brock Osweiler and the Texans' offense struggled mightily against the Patriots. Houston did not cross midfield until there were less than two minutes to play in the third quarter en route to being shut out, while Osweiler finished 24-of-41 for 196 yards and an interception. In Saturday's playoff victory over the Oakland Raiders, Osweiler played his best game of the season, particularly in the first half, and the Texans' playcalling got more conservative as they tried to hold onto the lead. Osweiler will need to play an even better game against the Patriots on Saturday to give the Texans a chance to win.

WHY THE TEXANS WILL WIN
    Vegas certainly doesn't think the Texans have a shot in this game, as they are 16-point underdogs -- the Patriots are only the fourth team in the past 40 years to be favored by 16 or more points in a playoff game. If the Texans win the game, it will be because they are mistake-free, the defense contains the Patriots' offense and Osweiler builds on what he did Saturday against Oakland, committing no turnovers and playing smart football. In Week 3, the Patriots ran for 185 yards, including 105 yards on 24 carries and two touchdowns from running back LeGarrette Blount. Since then, the Texans' run defense has greatly improved, and in the past 10 games, it has allowed an average of 71.1 rushing yards. To win, the Texans would need to continue their success against the run.

WHY THE TEXANS WILL LOSE
    If the game is anything similar to how the Texans have played for most of the season -- a good defense and a subpar offense -- Houston probably will not win. Not only did the Patriots end the regular season with the No. 1-ranked unit in scoring defense, allowing an average of 15.6 points per game, but they also ranked third in the NFL in scoring with an average of 27.6 points per game. The Texans have an excellent defense -- ranked first in total defense -- but averaged just 17.4 points per game in the regular season (tied for 28th), which likely won't get it done against Brady and the Patriots' offense.

TEXANS PREDICTION
    The Texans' defense has been so good this year behind defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus and inside linebacker Benardrick McKinney. The group had a great game against the Raiders on Saturday, finding success getting pressure on rookie quarterback Connor Cook. But going against Brady is a totally different animal, and both the defense and Osweiler would likely have to have their best game of the season for the Texans to get a win in New England on Saturday. Patriots 24, Texans 10

If you are interested in the Patriots analysis look here:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...perfect-plan-to-beat-heavily-favored-patriots

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Patriots Not Allowing Football Game Against Texans To Become Distraction

FOXBOROUGH, MA—Insisting that it is the furthest thing from their minds at this point in their season, members of the New England Patriots told reporters Thursday that they are not allowing their upcoming game against the Houston Texans to become a distraction.

“Obviously, it’s something we’d rather not be dealing with right now, but we’re not going to let trivial stuff like this Saturday’s matchup with the Texans take away our focus from our goals as a team,” said Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who downplayed the upcoming divisional playoff game by adding that players and coaches have avoided discussing the subject at all in the locker room.

“We know it’s something that the media wants to make a big deal of, but it’s getting blown out of proportion, and honestly, none of us are paying any attention to it. It’s not something we’re going to waste time worrying about.”

Sources confirmed that a visibly frustrated Brady later stormed out of the press conference after refusing to answer yet another question about facing Texans quarterback Brock Osweiler.

link

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The key in this game no doubt has to be protecting the ball and winning special teams... Those were the two things that destroyed is in the first NE game.

I can't say I have much faith in the team but if we font turn the ball over should be more competitive

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think it's a fair line. I mean you don't see numbers that big frequently, especially in the playoffs, so I'd be nervous. But you've got a 14-2 team vs. a 9-7 team with QB issues, that's never made it to a conference finals.
    Pats are 27-0 and 27-6 winners against the Texans/B'Ob the last two years.

Of course they got dominated last time they met the Patriots in the playoffs but still only lost by 13 - of course they had a competent offense at that point. And it was 38-13 before the Texans scored two TDs in the 4th.

I think a Patriots blowout win is more likely than a Texans win... but it is football, anything can happen. I wouldn't be betting on this game.

13. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Realistic strategies to beat the Pats on Saturday.

1. Plant deflated footballs in hopes of forcing a disqualification.

2. Consult the Russians about hacking their playbook.

3. Whatever Clemson did.

4. Come to the game disguised as the '72 Dolphins.

5. See what John Hinckley is up to.

6. Regift Belichick a Galaxy Note 7 wrapped in gunpowder paper.

7. Defense plays lights out.

8. Win the turnover battle.

9. Offensive line superiority.

10. Osweiler, Miller, Hopkins, Fiedorowicz, Fuller and special teams having the game of their lives.

Now, for the second quarter...

14. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

If you root for the Patriots, game will be easily watchable and entertaining!

15. MystikArkitect

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Basically the approach I've taken to this post season. Go tomato cans!

16. StevieCrossover

Texans win!!! Brock Osweiller with 4 interceptions, sacked 6 times. Clowney with 2 sacks.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So the divisional game when the jets beat the patriots 28-21 Mark Sanchez threw 3 tds no int no sacks and the jets defense sacked Brady 5 times with 1 int. The jets also rushed for 120 yds.

18. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Brock throws for 457 yards, 4 TD's, 0 ints, 34/42 passing. Texans defense holds Brady and Pats to one field goal. Our special teams doesn't fumble the ball.

Texans 42
    Patriots 3

19. Buck Turgidson

Is Ditka driving the bus?

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If I get really drunk before the game maybe the beating won't be so bad?