1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YuleC, Jan 11, 2017.

1. YuleC

YuleC Member

Is it worth it? What providers do you use and how much data do you use a month?

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

directv now/hulu/netflix/amazon prime/local satellite

dunno about my data, it's all over wifi

3. YuleC

YuleC Member

do you use uverse for your internet?

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I switched to Playstation Vue, $30 a month. Done with cable TV.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. YuleC

YuleC Member

I know comcast has a 1tb cap on data usage along with At$T, do you come close to going over that?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No, I get in the 200gig range.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Once you add in your internet charge, PSVue, NetFlix and whatever else, how much do you end up paying monthly?

I have a contract with DirecTV, and I'm planning on cutting the cord (or at least looking into it). I don't want to pay for a ton of channels I don't use, and with two kids, we only watch a handful of shows anyway (most of which end up on netflix).

Also, comcast internet VS uverse? Obviously comcast is a faster speed, but does has anyone cut the cord using uverse?

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Just signed up for Directv now for 3 months and got the apple tv deal.

Its been above average for my expectations as far as quality of the stream. It has its hit and misses with loading of the content as well, causing a lot of refreshing. A nice perk of Directv now is, as I am with ATT and can stream to my phone without it going against my data plan. If your with UVERSE, there should be no charge against your bandwidth with DIRECTV now also.
    I dont know how much bandwidth its consuming against my internet service since its my first month of it. Im kinda anxious to know as well.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

How do you guys watch the Rockets and Texans as cord cutters? I think the last thing keeping me from cord cutting is live sports now that I can subscribe to HBO independently.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

League Pass, although I don't live in Houston so I can watch most games. For the Texans, you can just use an antenna if you are local

12. grt004

grt004 Member

PS4 Vue: $30
    HBO: $16
    Netflix: $10

It still comes out $100 cheaper than cable.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I ditched Directv in November and went with Vue. Currently paying $55 a month but will drop down to the $35 package in a month or two.

My data was outrageous during the month of December and I went well over Comcast's 1Tb cap. A few weeks ago I got a Tablo DVR and an OTA antenna to pull in my locals for free and now we're using less that 15 gigs per day.

I'm catching Texans games with the Tablo/Antenna, the HD quality is nearly perfect. Much better than cable or satellite. Before I had the Tablo I use the CBS app to watch them for $5.99 a month, the quality was horrible though. No luck with Rockets, I only see the games that come on TNT or ESPN.

justtxyank likes this.
  14. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

What was the penalty for going over the 1 gig cap?

Is ballstream still viable for the rockets? Texans seem easy because you can get an HD antenna, rockets would be the only draw back. But league pass or ballstream could solve that.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Here's the deal though, my maxed out Comcast bill including all channels available and cable internet is about $160 right now. How much could I really save by cord cutting at that point?

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I would say with internet and Directvnow you could save at least half.

Also for Rockets games, r/nbastreams is my best friend.

Sidenote: another downside to directv now limits you to only 2 streams at a time.

justtxyank likes this.
  17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This is me right now also.

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

hehestreams has been legit for me.

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I pay $10 for Netflix, $10 for Hulu, and $5 for a different subscription. I also subscribed to one month of Sling for a free Roku Premiere. Also factor in Amazon Prime but I'd get Prime regardless of their TV service so it's like a freebie to me.

If cable were $30 a month, I'd probably pay for that instead.

justtxyank likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

All this sounded great until you got to the bolded part. Been there done that with the CSN debacle, never want to go back there at any cost.

justtxyank likes this.