1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan/Kobe/Vince?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dream_team, Apr 24, 2000.

1. dream_team

dream_team Member

Jordan is already labeled (by the ignorant many) as the GOD to basketball.

Kobe seemed to be the next star boy of the NBA.

But then, all of a sudden, a new kid has come into town, Vince.

who will prevail as the best ever?

ok, first of all, i truly don't believe that any of these guys deserve to be called the best ever. so don't misinterpret my post. i just want to hear people's opinions on who the basketball media world will be calling the BEST EVER say 15 years from now.

1) will they still crown Jordan as the greatest?
    2) will Kobe become king? he probably will win some championships, and he plays for a large market team, but he won't win any scoring titles until Shaq leaves the team.
    3) or will it be Vince? if it is to be him, i think he'll have to leave toronto.

so cast your votes...

------------------

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I love responding to posts that call me ignorant.

My guess, Steve Francis.

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in late May, for now visit www.eesite.com)

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think as time goes by peoples' memories of every players' feats tends to tarnish. They forget how truly great they were. Everyone talks about Jason Williams as an incredible ball handler, and he is, but why do they forget Pistol Pete? He was every bit as good handling the ball and doing some ungodly moves with the rock. Dominating? Hell, Wilt epitomizes the term. So big whoop... you got a triple double... Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double.

Regarding the Jordan, Bryant, Carter comparison, Jordan has already stated that he believes Bryant is a better player at this point in their careers. I tend to agree. He's playing better defense and is just as explosive on offense when he needs to be. Fifteen years from now? Who knows... I'll talk to ya in 15 years and we'll see.

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited April 24, 2000).]

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I'm no Jordan fan, but I can recognize and appreciate the talent he did have.

Kobe will never approach the accomplishments MJ did.

Carter, has a shot (a very very slim one), but he's got to win a few rings and average 30 pts a game for a decade or so, before he starts to reach the level MJ did. Did I mention he has to keep the injury bug away for nearly his entire career?

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I must be ignorant, because MJ took the NBA to a new level. He was a champion on the court, who maybe more importantly carried himself as a dignified man off the court. Through his marketing he became the most recognized person in the world.
    Russell & Chamberlain took the NBA to one level, then Dr. J carried to an athletic level. Larry & Magic turned on the NBA on TV. MJ then took the NBA to an international level and also crossed races and religions as a national hero.
    What Tiger is doing for Golf is what MJ did for the NBA.
    As far as the NBA goes there someday will surely be a greater player then MJ, but MJ will always be remembered as the greatest of his time (and either the greatest to date, or at least one of the greatest).
    But again, I must just be ignorant.

------------------

6. dream_team

dream_team Member

Jordan, a national hero?

if we live in a world where a Basketball player is regarded as a "National Hero"... we're in deep trouble as a society of people.

------------------

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Mary Lou Retton, Carl Lewis, '80 U.S. Hockey Team, Jesse Owens, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Mark McGwire, Lou Gherig, '96 Gymnastics Team, Peggy Fleming.

Just to name a few national heroes for this sad society.

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in late May, for now visit www.eesite.com)

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If not an athlete who would you regard as a national hero? I know you can include astronauts, servicemen, police officers, firemen, teachers, etc, but other than athletes who is is nationally known?

I would rather have Jordan as a national hero than any politician, and he deserves as much if not more than any other athlete. He has stayed out of trouble, been succesful and also represented the USA in the Olympics.

I know others may do more (like the professions above) but to be a national hero, don't I have to know their names?

------------------

9. dream_team

dream_team Member

the definition of hero taken from a dictionary...

A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: ex. soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.

Jordan, or any other sports figure, shouldn't be called a hero... just another person. calling Jordan a hero is calling him a more important person than you and I... would you say Jordan is more worthy of living than you?

------------------

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Dream-Team:
    MJ has accomplished more than me. I can honestly say that. I am good at what I do (I'm a CPA with an advanced degree) but I am not a national hero.
    Jordan IMO, is a hero. I think many others would look to him as a hero. You may argue that athletes aren't heros but in todays age of TV coverage, they are.
    Fortunately Jordan was a professional both on and off the court. My favorite player is CB, but off the court MJ carries himself so much better than CB. I love CB and all he does, but I would hope more of todays youths looks towards MJ than many other professional athletes.
    You mentioned by definition soldiers & nurses, but the only soldiers you hear about are the generals. I think of Colin Powell, who is/was a war hero. Should he be a hero now though? He has had opportunites to run for offices, which I feel he would excel at. Rather he does his paid motivational speeches.
    IMO, MJ is as great as hero as Colin Powell. They were both succesful in their careers, and people look to both of them for leadership.

------------------

11. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Jordon has actually been quite political in his pursuit of fame and money--not that I am saying this is neccesarily bad or good. Until recently (his support of Bill Bradley), I don't know of any way he has contributed to public discouse in a meaningful way or risked himself (say compared to other sports figures like Ali, Rocky Bleier, Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson or Pee Wee Reise).

But Jordan is a fantastic athlete and makes a strong case for being the best basketball player in history. He also got into deep you-know-what gambling and decided to let the heat die by spending a couple of his prime athletic years doing hobbies (golf, baseball). Jordan was an amazing player and I admire his on-the-court competitibe focus, but he and his marketing team's brilliance in my mind doesn't qualify him as a "hero". Hero is a subjective thing, based on the limited information I trully know about Jordan he just isn't one to me. Of course what is a hero to me doesn't have to be a hero to you, or vice versa, and I wouldn't question somebody for looking up to him.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited April 25, 2000).]

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I find it difficult to call athletes heroes for their athletic prowess or how they conducted themselves. If that's the case, there're millions of heroes running around this world. Some of those poor guys that never made it past a World War or some other battle should be called "heroes", not an athlete that racked up points and endorsements. Big difference between someone who should maybe be admired or even be a role model and a "hero".

------------------
    ?

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I agree with whar SIrS was saying about a hero to one person may not be to another. My question now becomes what makes a person a hero? We saw the definition earlier, but I don't think someone can be classified as a hero just because of their occupation.
    If every soldier is a hero, does that make Timothy McVeigh a hero? Do only soldiers that see action in a war become a hero or must they die to become a hero?
    I guess I do see MJ as a hero, although the more I thought about it I do personally see another sports figure as more of a hero to me: Cal Ripken. Maybe I view a hero as more of a leader, but I definetely think sports figures can be heros.

------------------

14. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I think there are different kinds of heros. Players like Babe Ruth or Ted Williams could be considered "Sports Heros".

But, I can see how some players trascend the sport they participate in and become something bigger than just a sports hero. Players like Sammy Sosa, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, etc.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.