1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Titans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 27, 2016.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Oh, folks are paying attention alright but it's not the sort of attention we'd like. And despite BTG's snarky insults about the Texans's fanbase, the naysayers out there do have a point as this offense is one of the most feeble to ever win a division championship - in fact it is historically bad. Given that said division is absolute garbage, the fact that the Texans won it doesn't mean that they don't stink as well.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not only is that not a given, it's not even factually accurate.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Oh the AFC South does stink on ice but so does the AFC North, East and West. The entire AFC save for the evil empire in Foxborough is going through a down period right now for whatever reason. And aside from the Cows, I'm not all that impressed with the NFC either. It's a curious down cycle in pro football right now which happens from time to time.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

ESPN will reportedly lose 75M televising this game

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Regardless, it's cool the Texans are the first team since 1983 to be from the Super Bowl host city and make the playoffs hosting a game.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think that tips his hand. He can't have liked that when Savage was given the chance to start the Titans game the team couldn't move the ball past the 50. Add to it the concussion protocol and I don't see it being much of a decision.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even more confirmation. If you make the decision that early, it has to be Osweiler because Savage might not even be out of the concussion protocol yet.

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

You have to go with Savage. Against a QB-less Oakland team, protecting the ball is paramount and we cannot have Brock's inaccuracy in there. We will run the ball heavily with either QB. The QB in there cannot be inaccurate. Also, if we are thinking ahead, playing Savage here prepares him for round 2. If you play osweiler, he is your guy the rest of the way, which is intolerable. Further, thinking even bigger picture, there is great value in seeing what we have in Savage.

I'd go with Savage and never look back. But I think it's more likely they'll go the "safe" route and play Brock. Which is the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would have thought going with the guy who is recovering from a concussion after a game against the Titans where he was incapable of moving the ball past the 50 who has exactly 0 career TD passes would be the definition of insanity given that he won't be able to practice much in preparation for the playoff game on a short week due to the concussion protocol.

11. Rileydog

I'm so down on Brock that I will take Savage with no prep.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, but you'd probably admit that's irrational though, right?

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Go with Brock for OAK because he played okay against them last time. We should be able to win.

Go with Savage against NE because Brock played horribly against NE the last time. Didn't even cross the 50 and he doesn't have Savage's excuse of not playing for 3 quarters.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Pretty sure the 1998-1999 Dolphins were the last team to do this.

Uprising likes this.
  15. Rileydog

Yes, irrational in terms of maximizing our chances for beating Oakland.

But in terms of potentially catching lightning in a bottle and making a deeper run w Savage, no its rational. I give Brock close to zero shot at winning in round 2. Savage showed more in 2.5 quarters vs the Bengals than Brock has all year.

It's also rational from the perspective of long term planning.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Savage had actually shown something when given a chance, I might agree with you, but again he still has 0 career passing TD's and when given the chance to show what he could do this week he couldn't even get the team past the 50.....then Osweiler came in and put 17 on the board in a half.

17. Rileydog

The first two series were ruined by horrid blocking and zero running game. I think savage missed a throw in the third series to Fedo. I put close to zero weight to Os's work vs Titans and the game as a whole. It was a jumbled mess of half trying to win, half preparing for the playoffs/trying to stay healthy. We know who Os is -- the guy who stunk for the entire season basically.

I'd ride with what we don't know. Plus, Savage might look quite different with Miller as his RB. I bet if you polled the Texans, the vast majority would roll w Savage.

Indeed, I'm concerned how naming Brock might impact morale. I think to a man, they'd all take Savage with no prep.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

I don't think it's Savage calling 3rd down and short run up the middle then sacrificing his noggin on an idiotic 4th down qb sneak. Savage has been given zero op to show what he can do except for the one drive when they actually scored a td then O'B neuters him again with boneheaded offensive schemes.

#618 mick fry, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt it. You are effectively saying that you think those players would rather go with the guy who won't be prepping or practicing with them all week, who has never managed a passing TD in his career, who couldn't move the ball past the 50 yard line last week, who so far in his career has been an injury waiting to happen, who will be coming off a concussion......as opposed to the guy you personally don't like. I'm thinking there's just a little bit of bias in play here and it's best that you just get used to the idea of Osweiler starting this week because it's almost certainly going to happen and honestly it's a an obvious decision that almost any head coach would make.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm reading concussion makes it very unlikely savage plays

Defense needs to shut them out