1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden likes Rockets' togetherness: 'We had each other's backs'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

• [​IMG]
      Calvin WatkinsESPN Staff Writer
    HOUSTON -- Mike D'Antoni knows what type of team the Houston Rockets are: a team with 24 victories heading into the new year, including wins against two of the elite squads in the Western Conference -- Golden State and San Antonio.

The D'Antoni hire has been positive by any measure, and the players have responded to the veteran coach.

So to say the Rockets are an elite team with a possible MVP (James Harden), an All-NBA defensive player (Patrick Beverley) and a Sixth Man Award favorite (Eric Gordon) would be accurate.

And Tuesday night, something else was confirmed.

"Last game was our first test, and I think we did well with that," Harden said Thursday. "It helped us play better, and nobody got too crazy. We had each other's backs, and that's all that matters.

"We've been tested from games getting chippy or we're not making 3s or we get off to slow starts. ... We get tested in different ways; so far we've done a really good job of coming out of it. It's good for us, especially early on in the season."

Tuesday night's game, according to a source, the Mavericks' Salah Mejri made a derogatory comment about Trevor Ariza's family. It's something Mejri has denied.

Ariza went to the Mavericks' locker room to confront Mejri after the game. Ariza was there with numerous teammates, whom D'Antoni said were there to calm Ariza down.

The league doesn't take kindly to players hanging outside locker rooms to confront each other, and fines most likely will occur. The Rockets' players were willing to accept any potential fine to support Ariza.

"They care for each other, and you saw that we just try to play as hard as we can," D'Antoni said. "Sometimes it gets chippy. That's part of the game. ... Nothing happened, which was great, and we got the win, which is even better."

It was a game with nasty hits. Ryan Anderson hit the floor after a shot to the head, and Harden went down when his face crashed into the shoulder of another player. It wasn't pretty.

Things got out of hand, and the three officials, along with the Mavericks and Rockets, all share blame for some of the issues.

Beverley is irked by some of the coverage off the game, a 123-107 victory. He declined to answer questions from ESPN about why he yelled at Mavs coach Rick Carlisle.

However, Beverley -- much like Harden -- is pleased with how things are going this season for the Rockets. They picked each other up when things got bumpy, and now here come the Clippers on Friday night. The meetings between these teams have been chippy in the past, too.

"I hate to talk about last year," Beverley said. "I don't know if we stuck together like that; this is a totally different army, guys are totally locked in off the court and on the court. We want to see everyone to be successful and everyone to play well. If a person is not playing well, we pick each other up.

It's just a different culture this year, and we want to continue to stay with that."

sammy, Nivos, roslolian and 10 others like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do people really use the phrase "Things got 'chippy'"?

And Bev is, fittingly, the first NBA player I've ever heard refer to his team as "an army"

Not the same team, totally different army, turning the corner, on the same page, in a full boat,

#2 heypartner, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Beverley is irked by some of the coverage off the game, a 123-107 victory."

media conspiracy

BigMaloe and Stormy1234 like this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Mejri denied it?

What a b****. Zero credibility there. None. That one last iota of respect I had for them simply being an NBA level team is gone. What a trash ball of a wasteland of a garbage chute of a poop team. Disgusting.

I'm glad someone in the media is laying some blame at the feet of the officials. That was a ridiculous game and a good portion of it belongs to them not keeping things in check, followed by overchecking later. Honestly, someone as respected, a champion, a veteran like Ariza is not just going to lead with "imma fk you up"....that they T'd him at that point but not whatever mejri said (because it would've been his second right? Nothing like ejecting the antagonist when called for) just allowed that whole game to devolve into cheap shots, piss poor gamesmanship and all that followed.

Seriously, we can move past it this year because we big dicked em and there's no more games with them...

....but next season, when they're on OUR floor, we need to boo and roundly harass their bench. Then deny it.

roslolian, Stormy1234 and Tha_Dude like this.
  5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Wolverine was the made by the dark, secret machinations of the military industrial complex.

Never forget.

6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I have upmost respect for this post. However, what word would you use in place of "chippy"? Like, would you say things are getting "heated"? I mean, they can't say stuff like "This is a cluster-****" or "This is some bull-**** going on in here."

Let's find some words that can replace chippy even if they aren't really words.

Man, alethios, vator and 1 other person like this.
  7. heypartner

I dont know about words to replace "chippy", but it might also be fun to try to use the word in a sentence.

I'll start

I'll never forget that day when Morey traded DMo and DaDakota got all chippy and mighty quippy coining the "kicking cans" meme

alethios and Tha_Dude like this.
  8. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

it all started with that BS bogut screen on james

9. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Bonus points for using "upmost"!

#Respect

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It shows.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have the utmost respect for your grammar eyes. #GRAMMARNAZIRESPECT

12. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Lol, no shade tho.

He was just making fun of when Bev said "upmost"

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well, clearly this was the upmost chippy game of the season.

14. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I like where this thread is headed!

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. threepointshot3

My god Bevs words regarding last seasons team is telling. I cant imagine how toxic last season was within the inner circle of the team.

riko, heypartner and Stormy1234 like this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The more this team wins and show a band of brothers culture, the more I wonder how much of a bad apple Dwight Howard really was.

riko, BigMaloe, dragonwill and 3 others like this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I've often wondered where the split was.

James def had bev and brewer on his payroll. Dwight seemed to have terry and smith of course. I thought Ariza just wanted out last season but he seems rejuvenated this year.

riko likes this.
  18. threepointshot3

If you read Terry's words you can clearly see that he DID NOT LIKE DWIGHT VERY MUCH whatsoever. Pretty much in every interview in the post season he said Dwight needed to re-adjust his game to the teams needs. I dont think Terry was on Dwights side whatsoever.

riko, Man, Drogba and 6 others like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

cleverly disguised let's turn this into a Dwight bashing thread

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. heypartner

Fwiw: I can't remember where (maybe Codman), but we've heard this year that Brewer was the only one on the team who didn't take sides, yet was still a vocal leader trying to arbittrate the situation between the two camps. Terry was also an arbtrator of sorts.

riko, Man, D-rock and 1 other person like this.