1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should children be taught to...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Dec 27, 2016.

?

Should children be taught to...?

1. Be thoughtful and considerate of others first. Kindness goes a long way. You'll be a better person.

69 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. Protect your own interests first. It's a dog-eat-dog world. Don't let others take from you.

12 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. droxford

droxford Member

Curious to see responses for this poll.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What age range?

I imagine for the very young that just about everyone tells their kids to be kind, generous, share, etc. Then as they get older it gets more nuanced with respect to your needs vs others' needs.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Those two options are not mutually exclusive to me.

Kevooooo, Caesar, LCAhmed and 6 others like this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They should be taught to be thoughtful and considerate of others while protecting their own interests first. The reason for this is because while kindness goes a long way, in the end it's a dog eat dog world. You can't let others take from you or you run the risk of becoming a bitter, hateful person as a result. On the other hand, if you sufficiently take care of yourself, you are afforded the ability to take care of others as you wish which can make you a happier and better person.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Be as kind and courteous to others when you have no stake in the game. When it's your money on the line, there's no greater advocate than yourself.

da_juice likes this.
  7. droxford

droxford Member

I find that, although there are times when both can be achieved, most time, they are exclusive - you must choose one or the other.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I believe it's a doggy dog world.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The 2nd one. Don't let anyone, including you, take away your thoughtfulness and kindness to yourself. It's an unreliable world and you will be tempted, but learn to recognize it and stay strong.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've taught both to my son and he has a well-defined sense of right and wrong. However, life is too situational to always choose one over the other. Wisdom and common sense steer the wheel between the two.

Zacatecas and durvasa like this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

At a younger age the former, introduce the later as they grow older. The later at an early age would be more detrimental. Can't function in society as a prick, if you're an ******* you at least need to be able to fake kindness every now and then.

CometsWin and CallMeTheDream like this.
  12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Put your own interests first without being an *******.

First option is naive, second option you are an *******.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm not a parent, but I think kids should eventually learn both the first and second options. However like others said, they're not mutually exclusive, and you can put your own interests first while also having empathy and consideration for others.

Ideally, a young person would be taught (and perhaps more importantly and accurately, learn from hands-on life experience) how to be a good judge of character. That way, he or she would (in most cases) know when to prioritize the first option, when to heavily prioritize the second option, and when it's sensible to be both.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Second one - the the two ARE mutually exclusive. Children need to be self aware. They need to know what is harmful to them, and they need to know how to garuntee their immediate safety.

Think about yourself first and then consider others.

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Selfishness comes naturally. You don't have to teach that.

Zacatecas, jev5555 and justtxyank like this.
  17. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Both of these are dualistic.

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Both. You can worry about yourself while being kind to others. I think there's an age range though. Very early on, you try to get kids to be nice just so they're not bullying everyone on the playground. But when they get older, I think it's OK to teach them to be mindful of their own stuff. It's a cruel world out there, and once you start getting in situations where teachers aren't there all the time, you have to have them be prepared to look out for themselves.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ideally, kids will learn to approach life with the idea that being kind and considerate to others is ultimately in their long-term self interest as well. Maybe not economically, but as a means of attaining personal happiness.

I think when kids are young, its important to emphasize social skills like being kind, considerate, and cooperative. As they grow older and more independent, teach them about how to be self-reliant and not allow themselves to be taken advantage of.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It depends. Do you want the world to have a chance at becoming a better place, or would you rather see things continue to nose dive and go to shiit?