1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Only miss is Okoye and it was Clowney until late last year and this year

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

With a better offensive line and more improvement from our rookie WR's, this could be a prime spot for a rookie QB to come in and excel IMO

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's always a development timeline with rookies. Even the good ones. Data hasn't suggested that throwing them in immediately "helps" them, unless they're truly special. You can certainly ruin guys.

My main point to the ("why doesn't he just draft a QB!") is that if there had been an over-commitment to drafting a QB early over the last 2-3 years, we're talking about Bortles, Manziel, Goff and Wentz in much the same way as we're talking about BO now (except you have to give those guys 4-5 years of guaranteed money, vs. 2 years). This is also presuming that the Texans were not trading up for Winston/Mariotta).

Of course, hindsight suggests taking Carr or Jimmy G at the top of the 2nd round (even though the latter was taken closer to the 3rd round, where presumably the Texans were expecting him to fall).

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Certainly be curious to see actual stats to back up where he ranks as a GM - I recall an article from a few years back that tried such and listed him as slightly above average.

Moreover, it should be analyzed on the draft class as a whole. First rounders deservedly get much attention, but we all know the GM has to be competent throughout the draft. Not perfect, but competent.

5. jae713

jae713 Member

How about a promotion to where he is jot in charge of personnel?

mikol13 likes this.
  6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

If Rick Smith were making the personnel decisions ala John Elway, then I'd be 1000% in favor of showing him the door. But he's not and so drop-kicking out the door won't solve their issues in personnel evaluation and acquisition. They tried having a strong GM making the decisions with Charlie Casserly. That was a major crash and burn. So McNair went the other route and turned those decisions over to the scouts & coaching staff which has also failed to yield the results everyone here is expecting. So what now?

I do agree with you in that Rick should be moved over to the business side of the organization and away from personnel operations as he's a very good business manager.

jae713 likes this.
  7. jae713

jae713 Member

I didn't know it was ever reported who is ultimately in charge of personnel. If I remember correctly, there was a scene on Hard Knocks where BOB and Rick were contemplating on what corner to keep on the final roster and Rick ultimately kept the player he wanted ( the other was Charles James). There was also a scene where he was trying to make a trade or something.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/18303/lots-of-room-to-grow-for-texans-rookie-class

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it was a good draft. We didn't blow a bunch of picks trading up for a bust this time.

10. Milby Buff

Milby Buff Member

A GM will always be a reflection of the owners vision. Until Rick gets way from that; he will always have a job. He's not done the best job in my opinion but he hasn't sucked either.

11. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

people act like its really rick smith not wanting to draft the brett hundleys or dak prescotts. rick smith is nothing more than dana white to the texans, he signs fighters but he has to get approval from the fretitas, just like rick has to get approval from mcnair. Kizer would be perfect for the team, but mcnair wont let smith draft him

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

How is hitting on 1st round picks anything but a given? Especially when you only draft front 7 defenders....

Credit due: way to not **** up picking among the 25ish best amateur players in the country.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Well, that's that then.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I predict it won't sway those who have been asserting O'Brien is to blame for Osweiler.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Do you really take that tub of lard seriously? Ive tuned that guy out and learned to take what he says with a boulder of salt.

18. raining threes

McNair had nothing to do with Carr/Clowney/Os decisions. Also do you think he had no say in the AJ decision?

Do you think there's a reason that Rick doesn't pick guys like Justin Houston/Tyreek Hill? These are McNair directives. Too say otherwise makes McClain a Texans waterboy/pancake eater.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sorry, should have written [sarcasm]Well that's that then[/sarcasm] (I thought it was implied :) )

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I am NOT defending Rick Smith at all, but most GM's don't consistently hit in the late rounds. Most 3rd and 4th rounders aren't drafted in the 1st round for a reason.