1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Tom Savage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Aug 15, 2016.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

One thing I will say that is different between the two.

Savage went through reads which we haven't seen since Schauby.

He also has the most efficient throwing motion we've seen.

Let's see where this goes.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sure it didn't look perfect out there, but give Jacksonville credit for laying some big hits on our WR's right on the moment of contact with the ball, up to but not beyond the threshold of what would be considered pass interference.

A few things immediately noticeable once Savage took the field:

1. Better pocket presence. He has many plays with pressure up his gut and managed it admirably, taking zero sacks, punishing them on blitzes, utilizing his RB options when needed and throwing it away at the last moment when nothing was there.

2. Actual progressions. Savage is not a fast guy processing by any means, but at least he's capable of doing it. Oftentimes you would see Savage survey the field, then finally look in another direction, find a guy wide open, and the ball would come out to that guy without hesitation. Brock is more in the Kaepernick camp of needing to know what he's going to do pre-snap, because he's not going to be able to make any judgments whatsoever once the ball comes to him.

3. Accuracy throwing the ball. There were just so many plays that gradually got pulled from the Osweiler playbook because he didn't have the confidence to make the throw. Savage put those pages back in. Throws outside the numbers, throws into tight windows such as TE seams against the Cover 3, deep outs, deep crosses. It was like having an actual offensive gameplan again.

Some cons are obvious: Savage's arm strength is just average, his handoff fakes need work, and he's not going to be able to scare teams with his running ability. In the long run, these all pale in comparison his ability to stay cool under pressure and deliver the ball accurately to the open man. If he is our QB for the rest of the year, the Texans have hope.

Kim and Plowman like this.
  3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

One thing that worries me, it reminded me of the Kansas City game in 2013. I was at the game, Keenum's first start, and we lost 16-17. But I was all aboard the Keenum train. Turns out, once teams got film on him, he was going to lose 8 in a row. Still not sold on Savage yet. But if he wins us these next 2 then wins even just one in playoffs I will hop on his wagon.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'll hang my hat on these words, too.

Brock has happy feet, poor mechanics, and questionable decision making (at best). It's like he is trying to win the game every single play. That isn't how you play QB.

Tom is an average QB. He played like a middle of the road, 80s QBR, game-managing, Ryan Fitzpatrick clone. AND I'M JUST FINE WITH THAT.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Sold on him long term? No. But I am definitely sold on him being better than Brock. Unless Savage gets hurt, Brock should never start a game for the Texans again this season.

charlieaustin likes this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

At the beginning of the season people were saying that we didn't need Brock to be an elite QB. We just needed Brock to be at least an average QB. I think everyone can agree that he was well below average.

Yesterday we got to see what an average QB looks like running this team when Savage took the field. To me he looked better than an above average QB, but that was probably because he was being compared to an awful Brock Osweiler.

The next couple of games are very important to this franchise. Not only are they fighting to make the playoffs, but how well Savage plays may determine a lot about what the Texans do in the next draft.

At the very least, making Savage the starter will add some excitement to the end of this season, and gives us a little hope that we could win a playoff game.

#347 Newlin, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Mr. Clutch likes this.
  8. Victorious

Victorious Member

Macho Man Tommy Savage. Dig it!

[​IMG]

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I think Savage is smart enough to not hit the gym super-hard like the cocaine cowboy did after that Cleveland game..

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fixed it for you.

There is no reason for Osweiler to get another start for Houston. The Texans should just admit their mistake and cut him after the season, despite the dead money, so he doesn't take up a roster spot and temp the coach to put him in. His inaccuracy is unbelievable.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Mr. Space City

You can tell the players don't believe in Brock.

15. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

If Savage gets hurt I would prefer Weeden.

16. blackistan

blackistan Member

Let's hope it doesn't get to that point

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

As if I needed a better reason to back Tom Savage now.. I just remembered this. 2014 Preseason, I was talking to a girl from Denver in school. We made a bet on the Texans/Broncos game involving "favors" and wearing the other teams jersey/hat. Down 10-17, Savage threw his first NFL TD followed by a 2 pt conversion. It was an awesome night. I love you Tom Savage.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Great observation coach. Glad you realized that 15 1/2 weeks in. ;)

Mr. Clutch likes this.