1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Weird to see these two matchups year after year, true.

PS: Leverkusen will get raped by Atletico.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope Kusen will rape them back.... wish them a win.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

These draws are the worst part about the Champions League. The draws are just unfair and the team that has the most success usually has a lot of luck on their side.

Take last year for example, Real Madrid got Roma, Wolfsburg, and Manchester City before the Finals. Atletico Madrid had to play Eindhovan, Barcelona, and Bayern Munich.

4. Raz

Raz Member

I actually thought this is the one with upset potential. Dortmund, Barca, Real, City and Juve are heavily favored, Sevilla v Leicester is 50/50. Atlético though was struggling with Leverkusen two years ago and with Eindhoven last year. Their style fits perfect against Barca and Bayern, but they are in trouble once the other team is playing for counter attacks as well. Leverkusen has the weapons to hurt Atlético, it will come down to Simeone and his squad being able to adapt another style of play. And for Leverkusen to hope that there's no penalties needed.

It's annoying, but I still don't see a better option. A set list like at the Euro makes it even worse. Look at Portugal's way to the final.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I wouldn't mind a committee that ranks every team 1-16 based on their quality of play in the group stages and their domestic leagues. Then the knockout round just follows a normal Playoff bracket. Admittedly this adds subjectivity into the process but it might lead to better quality of play in both the group stages and the domestic leagues. You also won't get teams resting everyone if they have nothing to play for in the group stage, because now style points do matter.

6. Raz

Raz Member

A committee? With all the corruption and beneficiary this sport is going through? I'm afraid this would turn into a disaster with every year several teams feeling aggrieved, while the wrong individuals sneak even more bribes into their pockets.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That would pretty much prevent any small/mid-tier clubs from reaching the later stages and unproportionally reward elite clubs financially.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It would reward teams based on results, not simple luck. I don't think rich elite clubs have anything to do with it. Take Chelsea from 2 years ago, their domestic form was terrible. This committee would judge how poorly they were playing and seed them lower in the knockout, increasing the chances that they face a good team. Would Chelsea have deserved to face a scrub team so they could advance? No. In the current system, that is possible due to luck.

Leicester is trying to stay above relegation in the EPL, why should they get to play Sevilla, one of the worst teams left? Luck already plays a part in the group stages let's try to remove some of that in the knockout phases.

How about this proposal.

Group Winners get seeded #1-8
    2nd Place finishers get seeded #9-16

In this case Leicester City would get seeded at #8 because they have been bad this year, they would be the worst group winner. They would face Real Madrid, the 9 seed and the best playing 2nd place finisher.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think Sevilla is that bad, as you said you cannot judge clubs by their budget and big names....

Sevilla did win the UEFA Cup twice in a row as far as I can remember.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't pay attention to La Liga and didn't realize they were 3rd, they might not be that bad. The committee though would know everything about these clubs so they would justifiably seed the worst group winner against the best 2nd place finisher, whoever they are.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lewandowski contract extended til 2021, noice.

12. Raz

Raz Member

Middlefinger straight up to English teams and Real Madrid. No chance they steal a Bayern player.

Robben next.

ramotadab and Yung-T like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oscar is close to a mega deal to the CSL rumored to be 71 million, another source around 65 Million Euro.

Team: Shanghai SIPG

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's sad. He's still only 25. He's got plenty of time to chase the money. Why give up on top flight football now?

ramotadab and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Damn, followed him since the Brazilian youth squads and thought his career would play out much different. Apparently just in it for the money.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am actually more excited about the other Shanghai Shenhua team nearing a deal for Carlos Tevez, one of my favs........leaving Boca

#516 daywalker02, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oscar is nothing special. I hate the way he plays 90% of the time. 10% is really really good, though. I just don't think he feels the game very well and seems pretty dumb on the pitch.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Most of the time, I feel like Oscar is a JAG. I'm not surprised he'd be mulling over an offer like this.....I don't think he'd command that much from a top-flight European team at this juncture in his career, and he knows it.

19. Raz

Raz Member

Gündogan has a torn ACL, probably out for the season. Very sad, especially since he did quite well in his first year with City. But that's why I never wanted Bayern to sign him, just can't stay healthy...

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It just isn't going well with Foxtown Leicester this season, this low atm.

CL is the only place worth looking forward to.