1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Donatas Motiejunas won't report to Rockets cause of $6M difference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gorki, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also, for your fan boys that want to argue that Dmo and his agent can hold the Rockets hostage because of the last spot on the roster.

again, lol.

First of all, we are talking about the 15th spot on the roster, its like you are using Bobby forking Brown to hold the Rockets hostage on anything, so stop it.

Even in extreme case, for whatever reason the Rockets will need that spot, of course they can at least attempt to file an exception to the league and I don't think Silver and the owner would like to take Dmo's side on this.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I don't even think the Players Union would touch this, the rockets have done absolutely nothing wrong as far as I can see.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@MrButtocks

Upon further review, the CBA definitely says, once signed, the contract cannot be amended in any way for a year. So I suppose maybe there is a gray area regarding Watkins comments. Can the Principal Terms be amended prior to signing, or not? Of course, that also reads like bonuses cannot be added back in "(but not any terms other than the Principal Terms)" ... which Bobby Marks and others have said they can,,,and is the subject of his entire article, supposedly coming from BJ's request to put the bonuses back in.

(e) If, within three (3) days from the date it receives an Offer Sheet, the ROFR Team gives to the Restricted Free Agent a “First Refusal Exercise Notice” substantially in the form of Exhibit H annexed hereto, then, subject to Section 5(h) below, such Restricted Free Agent and the ROFR Team shall be deemed to have entered into a Player Contract containing all the Principal Terms (but not any terms other than the Principal Terms) included in the Uniform Player Contract attached to the Offer Sheet (except that if the Contract contains an Exhibit 6, such Exhibit 6 shall be deemed deleted). Such Contract may not thereafter be amended in any manner for a period of one (1) year.

5. craguin

craguin Member

*UPDATE: Nets' open roster spot filled; Per Wojnarowski [3:21 PM - 8 Dec 2016], they signed Spencer Dinwiddie.

#585 craguin, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Morey does not have to do anything - this is true, but I think if he doesn't give, he has to make that decision by March 1st to guarantee year two - which is not ideal -- so I suspect Houston will give a little so they can move the 2nd year guarantee, and DMo will give in, and they will get to work.

That is the end game I am expecting.

DD

Plowman and basketballholic like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, good luck with that.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Why is this relevant? I thought there was no scenario where he goes to the Nets at this point.

9. craguin

craguin Member

*UPDATE: Nets' open roster spot filled; Per Wojnarowski [3:21 PM - 8 Dec 2016], they signed Spencer Dinwiddie.

If Motiejunas reports for the physical and fails, the Rockets can withdraw (void) the FREN, and he goes to the Nets...

Larry Coon - December 6, 2016 at 8:28 pm
    Passing a physical is a contingency on the First Refusal Exercise Notice. If he fails Houston’s physical, the FREN is voided, so Brooklyn’s offer sheet would become a contract.

Larry Coon - December 8, 2016 at 8:26 am
    1. The team can make the FREN subject to passing a physical.
    2. If the player doesn’t cooperate, then the conditional FREN remains in effect.

#589 craguin, Dec 8, 2016
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

BJ Armstrong might just be the JB Bickerstaff of agents. Amazing.

#590 J Sizzle, Dec 8, 2016
  11. RCPM

RCPM Member

I'm sure glad it is cold in Houston, 'cause that's a lot of hot air.

12. basketballholic

Coon is agreeing with me today. He's agreeing that DMo is NOT under contract UNTIL he passes the physical.

IF......That is true......and I still consider it an IF even though I'm convinced it will finally come down to an arbitrator or judge ruling it to be so....But IF I (and now Coon, since he now appears to be seeing the same thing I'm seeing) am right and there's no contract until DMo passes his physical then there's no penalties, fines, nor 30-day rule to be dealt with here. Which means DMo could hang out until Jan 10 before he comes in for his physical without losing a dime. Or he could decide to push it out past the trade deadline before coming in for his physical and thereby make it impossible for the Rockets to trade him until the summer of 2018.

That's why I say BJ has found a seam here. Worse case scenario for BJ is the league office determines that DMo is under contract and the thirty days are going. Well, guess what happens in that scenario? DMo can still hang out at the house until Jan 4 and then stumble in for his physical. Now the Rockets have basically about 6 days to decide whether to guarantee him the remaining $3.5 million.

And on top of all that BJ and the players union can then file an appeal, disagreeing with the ruling and they're all off to court or whatever arbitration process is in the cba to settle such matters.

None of that is good for the Rockets. Meanwhile, the contract itself is a problem because they've got less than 2 months to pay DMo $8.5 million and determine whether they want to pay him another 8 million next summer.

rocketjunkie, the leading CBA expert on the planet besides the attorneys who wrote the document.......is siding with me today.

Kinda like what I've said reportedly about players and their affect. You gotta watch the games. Can't just look at numbers on a page and determine which players are the greatest winners. Same thing here. Gotta read the document (cba) and understand it as best as possible for what it's actually saying. Yesterday Coon thought this was a joke. Now that's studied this portion of the cba overnight he's changed his tune. He might have even talked to his nba attorney buddies too. He does have those connections. Read the document for yourself. And interpret it. Don't just repeat spin from a bunch of guys, most of whom haven't actually read the document and are just filling air time with "this is not standard procedure" because they are getting paid to say SOMETHING.

And finally, even if I'm wrong on my interpretation here, there is a time element here that is working against the Rockets.

#592 basketballholic, Dec 8, 2016
    hakeem94 likes this.
  13. basketballholic

If the Rockets pull the offer when he walks in to take his physical, he'll go back to RFA and get another offer. Except this offer may come in around Feb 28, and it could very possibly for two fully guaranteed seasons, and then the Rockets will have to decide whether to match or not. Oh, and that match would mean the Rockets can't trade him until after the July moratorium in 2018.

Tampering? You're going to pine away at my "wild, crazy idea" but you think somehow another team is going to get caught tampering???

Thinking that there is going to be probable tampering as way more unreasonable and far-fetched than my simple interpretation of what the cba says "under contract" means.

14. basketballholic

Because the Nets didn't have to offer that much because the market had been depressed by this time. IOW, the Rockets and Nets frittered all the time away talking sign-and-trade without executing until s&t wasn't an option. This is part of the reason why BJ is playing dirty here. He is simply playing dirty back after he was played dirty.

15. basketballholic

Not unexpected. They may be negotiating. I'm trying to find out now.

Haymitch likes this.
  16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Since you are playing the "what if" game....he could also go back on the RFA market and get no offers, or an offer worse than the one he already signed. There is no reason your scenario is more plausible than that.

Richie_Rich and duluth111222 like this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Of all the end-game scenaria I, or anyone else for that matter, considered what eventuated was not what was expected. How can any of us offer an end game that has any base to it? (Not trashing, just acknowledging that everything in '16 has been stood on its head, from DJT to DMo and lots in between.)

19. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

There's no ifs buts maybes. Dmo WILL get his money. And when he does it'll be in the 12-15mil per year range. BBH is always in the right. Never question him again, or GTFO!

Llull C

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

double post

#600 heypartner, Dec 8, 2016