1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Donatas Motiejunas won't report to Rockets cause of $6M difference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gorki, Dec 7, 2016.

1. basketballholic

They'll have to give him a first year salary of 12-15 million to get that date moved Bobby.

2. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I agree if Dmo. Morey needs to match every detail of the contract

I don't give a **** what the nba is like. 7million would be a lot of money to any of us on here

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No chance that happens, so it looks like DMo won't be getting a paycheck this year which honestly is fine with me. It's his fault for hiring and keeping such a grossly incompetent agent.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  4. basketballholic

.....He could fall in front of a train I suppose.

Restricted free agency is a dirty business.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Daryl Morey is the type to go upstairs VIP at Treasures & walk out ..... canceling all credit card charges because "someone" forged his signature.

SAVAGE!!!!

6. basketballholic

Bobby, DMo is going to get paid this year. Think it through. Don't be irrational.

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

You are insane. We don't have to renegotiate anything. DMo is fu*cked. We will only renegotiate if it gets us a better deal. Whether Morey thinks that's moving the date and paying more, or whatever; I'm sure if the Rocket's renegotiate, it will be more favorable for the team. DMo literally has NO LEVERAGE. He can lose an entire year of work and salary. That will only hurt his NBA career and earnings, not help him. No one in their right mind (you and DD don't count for that reason), thinks that the Rockets are being unfair and will hold it against them.

8. bigred77

bigred77 Member

From personal experience, that doesn't work...

Take your license and cash... Leave the credit cards at home...

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Right my point was, the agent should have known how that worked and if he wanted $37M he should have structured the contract differently to guarantee $37M, not come after the fact and try to portray Houston as not honoring the deal even though they followed the CBA.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hah, knew it, Rox being cheap and trying to leverage that to get a more cap friendly deal. Most teams honor the incentives.

DD

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not the one that thinks he won't get paid, you seem to think that despite him standing at the gallows with a rope around his neck that he can still dictate the terms of the hangman's surrender....and that's just not the case.

I think at some point a deal gets done, but no chance it's as friendly as you seem to think. Morey has DMo in an awful situation right now.

heypartner and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  12. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

IF the Rocket's do that, I will take you out for free drinks as many as it takes to make you happily drunk to celebrate. If it doesn't, how about you disappear from the board until the playoffs? (Unless you use a different name)

13. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Which is incredibly stupid on multiple levels. Smdh.

Match it all Morey.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol. Wait. Couldn't all the Rockets do in RFA is basically match the offer sheet he signed for the Nets? So it sounds like D-Mo's issue should be with the Nets.

15. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Can you give me 2 specific instances (just 2 since you said "most teams") where the matching team honored the "likely" and "unlikely" player incentives?

Because I suspect that this is a rare case. I also suspect most teams would behave EXACTLY like the rockets are.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Rockets would rather just have him sit the year and let him him RFA again next year. Sorry DMo, you lose a year of salary, can't even go to Europe. And his cap hold as an RFA would be lower than $12-15 million. We're winning without him and he is merely insurance this year. We'll see who budges first.

heypartner likes this.
  17. bongman

bongman Member

We really don't know if that is how it went down. Maybe BJ did ask for that and NJ said the only way to get there is thru incentives.

18. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I just see it like this - even at an average of 9 million per year, if he's 2014 D-Mo that contract is a bargain. If he's not, we have multiple chances to cut him before it ever becomes a big deal.

I do agree you can't let agents and players strong-arm you if you're Morey, but it looks kind of petty not to match the incentives in this situation. Someone more knowledgeable than I can probably speak on how common not incentive matching an RFA is.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't behave this way if you intend to keep a player, you behave this way if you don't really want him, but want to use his salary as a trading chip.

This **** sucks and I don't blame DMo for holding out for 6m more, however he will have to cave on that March 1st guarantee, before this is resolved.

If Morey guarantees all 37m but with team options every summer, I think this gets done.

DD

20. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

So the Rockets give DMo an offer around $7 million and he doesn't like it so he goes and gets an offer from the Nets. Then he brings the offer back and is surprised when the Rockets would rather pay closer to the amount they originally offered?