1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TAIWAN NUMBA ONE

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by shastarocket, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

In a vacuum I approve of them (same types lit their hair on fire when Reagan said tear down this wall). But my guess is there was zero strategic thinking behind them.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Basically a strategy of "Oops sorry.. :rolleyes:, maybe I'll stop but first let's talk..."

I think it's brilliant although an unintentional move. I'm not sure The Donald is that smart. By doing "something" to piss China off he now has a bargaining chip against China. If China asks him to stop he can now ask for something in return. He gets something while giving nothing we weren't giving since 1979 anyway.

Same applies with India and Pakistan. He crossed "the line" and in order to cross back and make India happy we can now ask India for something while we go back to exactly where we were. He's done similar with Mexico. Something gained for nothing lost.

It's brilliant really and exactly how a Super Power should use it's power.

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

China's not going to "ask him to stop." They're going to say, "This is how it is. They lost the war. Taiwan is part of China." Trump can do what he wants; China can do what they want. They're not trading baseball cards.

4. ipaman

You don't know how foreign policy works my friend. Nations are constantly "trading" things to keep the world running. Obama did it with cash and hostages. His mistake was not using this approach. He should have supported Isreal or Turkey heavily and publicly denounce Iran, etc..., something to piss Iran off, then tell Iran we kill those deals/dialog in exchange for prisoners. Like I said that's how a Super Power should use it's power. It's weak to say hey give us the hostages and we'll give you X million dollars. Then let them say, no give us XX million and you have a deal. Great we got a deal, let's high five each other, meanwhile Iran is laughing it's ass off.

I'll be the first to admit, it's Bully Tactics but again I don't see that as an issue when in fact you are the biggest bully around and that in of itself is one of your biggest assets as a country.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Troll or brain damage. Yes, discussion ends.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

This does not really matter too much in the grand scheme of things. However, this does show how he will likely behave as a president, instead of taking the advise of his staff experts on how he should behave, he will just go with how he feels.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Given that he won despite "irrational" behaviors of his, it doesn't surprise that he would continue the behaviors. We just all hope it doesn't result in horrible things.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Exactamundo. Not just a bargaining chip against China trade but also leverage against China's aggression in the South China Sea.

Notice how most people complaining ignore Obamas renornalization with Cuba and his lack of action against China's military aggression against other South China Sea nations.

Look at it this way: the Is has only recognized the PRC for 38 years. It recognized the ROC for 30 years and then had another 38 years of arms sales.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't ignore Obama's renormalization with Cuba, I applaud it. It's long overdue.

What I find troubling is for people saying that it's great to go after China forget that the U.S. needs China to take the lead in trying to curtail N. Korea's nuclear ambitions, and keep them in check for a number of things. There are ways to get them to this, but it can't be done if relations with them are severed. There are numerous other things with which the U.S. would like China's help. I applaud standing up to China, but talking on the phone with the leader of Taiwan isn't really a strong stance against China and their lack of humanitarian policies. Going there and speaking directly to them about such things as women's rights is a much better way of standing up to China.

10. ipaman

Conversely we need independent Taiwan to curtail any potential Chinese nationalism.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? First of all, Taiwanese claims of independence fan Chinese nationalism to the extreme. Second, Taiwan is nothing compared to China, and China can wipe out Taiwan militarily in one day if it wants to.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Where was this critical commentary when Obama met with the Dalai Lama? Obama's meeting and Trump's call are not going to "sever" relations with China.

Also, the US has far more nukes aimed at North Korea than North Korea has at South Korea.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

China has no force projection. The PLA is designed to defend land wars and kill chinese people. Changing your entire military to force projection takes decades. At the same time Taiwan has incredible sea and air defense. It would be an incredibly bloody battle for China.

You have no idea WTF you are talking about as is typical. Just because you had to go to china to get your dick wet as a massive white loser don't think you are some chinese expert.

#113 Bandwagoner, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  14. ipaman

TAIWAN NUMBA ONE!!

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Your brain, #2!
    (Doo
    doo.)

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Taiwan would be a nightmare to invade without US support.

17. dmoneybangbang

We are still, but the gap narrows the more the rest of China and the developing world grows. It's a gamble that can lead to a lot of unpredictability. Time will tell.

18. dmoneybangbang

Considering they got some of our hardware, most definitely.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This quote is so uniquely Cohete. Heh

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You're right, PLA is designed to kill Chinese people. There's a decent chance during a military confrontation for Taiwan's economic and industrial base to be reduced to rubble, but at least it's comforting for those 15-20 million living to defend whatever's left remaining.

We do all this song and dance with N. Korea just so they won't decide to bombard Seoul with everything they got.

I don't think provocation to change negotiating terms is that beneficial to Taiwan's status if that's really the point here. But maybe Trump goes full Reagan and see whether the PLA blinks. Their calculation can't handle crazy or senile, so who knows.