1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets match the DMo offer sheet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Should the Rockets match DMo's offer sheet

1. Yes

77.1%
  2. No

22.9%
  1. touring_low

touring_low Member

Thanks for the clarification, just checked Woj's tweet.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Up until Parsons Morey had a reputation of his word being gold, and that other GM's and teams respected him when he said we will match any offer. Cuban called his bluff, and changed the playing field.

You can't say you are going to clog up your competitors cap, because you don't know WHO will sign the offer, thus they may not be a direct competitor as Dallas was/is, that is more of happenstance than strategy.

If you make a player a RFA, that is signaling to the league, that you are intending to keep that player, and you value them. If DMo leaves, it is a failed strategy by Morey, and he will have gotten nothing out of years of development of the team's asset.

DD

3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Disagree, refer to the poker call response.

4. DaDakota

It is shocking to me how far apart we are in understanding negotiations over contracts. Morey had plenty of time to up his offer, to negotiate, or to extend him even more than a year ago - letting the market set the price, is a risky venture and strategy.

And folding does mean you lost, because you had the asset in your control and you lost them for nothing.

If you have chips on the table, and they go to your opponent that is not a winning strategy.....would be fun for you to try though, you give me all your chips and I will let you say you won.

:)

DD

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Let's say he misses a season with back problems. What kind of an injury exception would you be looking at?

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Only 1 year guarantee? And make less than JLin? Hell yeah.

7. Mr. Motiejunas

Dmo has been told that the Rockets, will infact, match the Offer sheet.

8. opticon

opticon Member

No sure if serious?

9. DaDakota

See, then 75% of his salary is covered by insurance, that is why Les Alexander had the most profitable years ever when Yao Ming was out with an injury, all of that insurance money went straight to the bottom line.

DD

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Morey, you should have gotten something for DMo! I know Morey did make a deal with Det. But that was such a stupid deal! Stop treating players like assets!

The right thing to do was to sign Dmo to a new contract before he hit RFA! I don't care about how he played during the last part of last season. I don't know what Dmos demands were, I don't care! Just sign him! Do it! Get it done! Stop treating players like assets! Quit being a meanie. Nobody else in the league actually allows their players to hit RFA and then match it. Quit being such a jerk. I don't care if extending Dmo might have hampered our ability to attract RyFly or sign Gordon. Just do it and so I can second guess you later.

Alright Daryl, you played the RFA game and you sure did get sooo lucky Dmo didn't sign a HUGE contract. Match it! match it now or else you lost! Don't be a loser! You were such a loser when you didn't match Dallas for Parsons. We could have Chandsome sitting on OUR bench with him bum knee. And don't tell me you just had to let him go because of the whole deal with the agent to get Dwight thing! You lost! Loser! And Dwight sucked so that was a double bad deal. Double losey loser!

blahblehblah and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets almost have to match this offer. It is really just a one year deal with what amounts to club options.

Morey has to be chuckling at the contract offer sheet.

12. Rileydog

Morey is a loser. Losers don't get to chuckle.

DD

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Hmmm. Do you have a source? Hope you're right. Personally I'd be shocked If the rockets don't match it.

14. DaDakota

Morey is not a loser, he is a good GM. But you can't expect people to keep track of what he does/did - at some point he should be held accountable.

On this current roster his wins are:

1. Harden - brilliant deal
    2. Gordon - Awesome deal
    3. Anderson - Lots of money but great fit
    4. Beverly - good contract solid player
    5. Ariza - Same as Bev

Overall I give Morey a B+ but I don't like his use of the RFA, when I believe he should try to KEEP players that will help before they get to be restricted.

Probably would surprise people to know that I like Morey - a lot, but that does not mean he is above criticism.

DD

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Sometimes you lose games. The problem with Dmo is he would change what they are doing not just for one game but for all games. Dmo's natural go to would be the post. He would change what they are doing. I wouldnt want to mess with that. Its not like he's a defensive juggernaut and I wouldnt want to take minutes away from Harrell. I do think we should sign him but again only to package him with Brewer and send him far away.

16. 9baller

9baller Member

I'm just going to go ahead and say it... DMo is gone.
    Morey is one cold dude.. He wouldn't match an offer for his own mom, if it affected his cap flexibility.
    Search your feelings; you know it to be true.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

18. Rileydog

But Morey IS a loser if he does not match the Nets offer. A double losey loser!

Keeping track of all Morey's moves is nearly impossible. How can we keep track and critique him all at the same time? If we had to do both, then we couldn't surgically analyze his moves.

And he should have definitely kept Dmo before he hit RFA -- regardless of his health, asking price, or other options Morey was considering. I mean, you just do it because DMo could help the team, which is quite obvious to anyone who critically analyzes the team and Dmos game. That's just not even debatable. Also, It would remove the risk of him playing the RFA game and winding up a L-O-S-E-R. (Loser in the RFA game I mean, not as a GM or a person).

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

I voted NO...yesterday. I initially thought this was a no brainer to match because the money is so low, but DMo isn't worth crippling our cap space and trade flexibility. How much more will he provide than Harrell and Decker? He's taller sure, but doesn't necessarily play bigger in any way other than his post game which will likely be underutilized here and this team as presently constructed, is 2nd only to the Warriors in points per game.

Hate to lose him without compensation, but we lost Jones and Howard and didn't technically get anything for them either, but we gained cap that allowed us to make roster moves based around fit and chemistry. So far Anderson and Gordon have paid dividends in a major way. Perhaps that 8-9 million dollars, albeit a bargain contract in this market, can be better spent on guys or a guy that will actually move the needle. I'm sure signing him now also limits the types of trades we can do this season in some way.

That said, I won't be mad if they match as they can still part ways with him by March if need be. He has talent, he just hasn't been able to put it all together for long enough to justify all this commotion. If they do indeed match, I'll root for him to prove me wrong. I'm a Rockets fan above all else. DMo playing well would ultimately be a great thing for this team and that contract is like new MLE level.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You said,
    "The only reason to make someone a RFA is you intend to match. If you let him walk with no return, it was a failed stratagem."​

That's not true. It's not a strategy to give a Qualifying Offer to make them RFA and declare Right of First Refusal; it is your Right. It is stupid not to.

You are mixing this up with a strategy to wait on an Offer Sheet. Teams don't always use that strategy; they sign directly. But the Right of First Refusal gives you protection against someone swooping in while you are negotiating with your free agent. It is MUCH better than UFA, whereby you don't get to match.

If you meant, "The only reason to use the strategy to wait for offer sheets is to match" then fine. But even still, it's no more a failed strategy to get outbid as it is in a UFA situation. And it sure is nice to make the other player bid first. You are dumb not to use your right to "make someone an RFA".

Now, if you go back further and say we could have given DMo an extension to avoid RFA ... well, he was recovering from Back Surgery and wasn't allowed to play during pre-season, so I think both sides wanted to use the strategy of waiting. You can't really negotiate during the period of surgery recovery. That's waaaayyy too risky.

In poker terms, giving an extension to someone in physical therapy/recovery is like betting before the deal is made. :)