1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEW NAME: Official Waiting for DMo's First Game Back as a Player Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Is DMo even gonna do well in this system? He seems more like a half court set kind of player

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh it is a no brainer to match if you are trying to win.

But it doesn't mean they will match.

DD

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Better yet can DMo even play at that brief 14-15 level anymore?

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

What a silly post. It's not about frequency; it's about severity. Are you not familiar with DMo's last 18 months? Have you seen DMo play well since his surgery? You think somebody stubbing a toe a few times is more of an injury risk than a guy who has missed so much time due to a bad back???? Come on now. Like I said, that is so silly to not acknowledge DMo as an injury risk. You are better than that.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i'm really praying for health for this team..i'm nervous that not matching is going to bite us in the ass when someone gets hurt...

that's houston luck.

7. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

That's one thing no one ever talks about: during entire DMo's NBA career he didn't play for a single competent coach. McHale and Bickerstaff weren't the brightest basketball minds when it comes to running an offense. From those 4 years in Houston we learned he can improvise, he can make plays happen without a ball when there's no plays happening (a lot under McHale and JB), he can also run a fast break with and without a ball, so I think he'd be OK at least under MDA's principles. We can't know for sure before we see it. TJones looks way better in NOP uni than he looked the last 2 years, maybe because he's playing for a legit coach for the first time in NBA career himself.
    But when it comes to DMo, you should look what he can do for our second unit. And for the most part of this season, second unit lacks playmaking badly, Gordon, with all due respect, is not much of a playmaker, he can create a shot for himself, but it's too much of a burden for him to create for entire second unit.
    Rockets will be just fine without DMo, they're not desperate to match right away, so it shows like they might be leaning to let him go and want to waste maximum time before he can report to Nets. Or they feel so confident in current lineup that they're in no rush to put DMo back on court. I feel so too. Weel C

8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The more time it passes the likely that they will pass on the offer. I remember NY Knicks did it with Jeremy Lin, granted it was during the off-season.

9. DaDakota

How sad if they pass on improving the team this year - you can get a rotation big, for an end of the bench scrub and stay under the cap.

If you are wanting to take advantage of THIS season's opportunity, you match - if you are giving up on this year, you let him walk.

What does that say to us fans who are paying for tickets? Yeah, we can win a few games, and will be entertaining but we really don't believe in our team.

DD

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

DMo doesn't move the needle. He helps, sure, but eh.

Hope we keep him but if we don't you won't catch me acting like a child and throwing a fit on CF.

Invisible Fan and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think you/we should have low expectations about D.Mo's future in Houston at this point, in the end, even if they match, i don't see the Rockets making his 2nd year guaranteed -> unless they can make big moves before having to make the decison...so, imo, there're pretty low chances that D.Mo will be a Rocket next year anyway.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I believe Morey said all along that they will match whatever offer he gets. I think he should stick to that, or else risk losing credibility with his players.

MorningZippo likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Anderson is also a half court set kind of player and the Rox still paid him 20M. Unless Dmo has some kind of injury condition we don't know about, the Rox should match. Dmo can fight with Anderson for the starting PF spot and he can play Center in case Capela or Nene go down.

14. DaDakota

He lost that when he said the same thing about Parsons and let him walk.

DD

15. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

7'0 who can shoot 3's and hit hook shots? Im sure D'Antoni can use him somehow?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Do you have a quote for that? I haven't heard that

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there Vegas odds on when DMO will sign? You coul watch the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings marathon and he still wouldn't sign

18. fattz

fattz Member

You may be right saying he doesn't move the needle. But, he is an asset on a friendly contract at worst. He may / should / would be part of a "bigger deal" that does move the ""needle" in the future. He is very much obtainable vs the star player that never comes. That alone makes it worth the sign. If cap room is such a priority then the Anderson signing is even worse than most originally thought.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I could have sworn I read that somewhere recently, but unfortunately I don't recall where.

20. DaDakota

DMo moves the needle signifantly, he adds an entirely new dimension on offense, we can play a STRETCH 5, that is so rare... and on D he is the best positional defender as a big on the team. Just being in the right place with his arms up, as a 7' player is a big deal.

He is NOT a star, but is a good solid team based role player and will make this team better, and it is pretty clear that D'Antoni wants him.

DD