1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dmo to sign with Jazz if Favors misses extended time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 28, 2016.

1. basketballholic

If you consider brewer for Diaw a lopsided trade then you are free to believe the league would block the trade based on you believing the league office to think brewer for diaw was so lopsided that they had to protect the Jazz on that one.

You have to understand what the rule is saying here and quit reading your interpretation into it.

The Rockets have the right to match or not to match an offer sheet. And the Rockets and Jazz also have the right to trade Diaw and Brewer without it changing their decision to match or not to match an offer sheet on another player. You're reading way more into this rule than what there is.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not convoluted at all!

So what happens if...

1. The Jazz make an offer to DMo.
    2. The Rockets agree behind the scenes not to match if Utah agrees to a trade.
    3. The trade is executed as agreed.
    4. The Bucks/Kings/whoever offer DMo and even bigger contract, and he decides to sign it.

The Jazz can't complain to the league about having their under-the-table deal thwarted, so they're just hosed. And as much as I like the idea of the Jazz getting reamed, that possibility would prevent them from doing something as idiotic as a trade that involves variables outside of their control.

#242 topfive, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    heypartner likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All is know is the rockets must have very serious reservations about dmo' s back

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I will say this. If D-Mo has been doing nothing but working on his back/fitness and 3pt shooting since last season ended, and he is able to be a legit 3pt shooter - i.e. hitting 38% of 3-4 3's per 30 minutes - then he could become very valuable. That's not an insignificant piece to add to the bench.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Good lord, man. A SnT that gave DMo the big bucks didn't happen when it was legal, but now it will happen? Same song, different verse.

Just like any SnT, you can't explain how DMo gets his big pay day, while the Utah GM just tosses Morey Diaw for no reason. If Utah is willing to outbid Morey into the 8 digits, they don't need to make any trade for freaking Brewer. They just outbid Morey....case closed.

And if they instead only marginally improve upon Morey's $7m deal, why would DMo sign it...he's not getting the big pay day you keep saying he will.

Help me out here. Where in your post does it say Utah will actually outbid Morey into the 8-digits, and why? BBH is saying Utah will give DMo his big payday, which as I recall is something north of $12m/yr. If they are willing to do that, then they don't need to trade Diaw. Conversely, if they aren't willing to outbid Morey, then how does DMo get his big payday...why would he sign an offer sheet not much better than Morey's last offer.

Let's all stay focused here. Bballholic is saying DMo will get his big pay day, and we get a juicy trade. That's what this entire SnT shenanigans is all about. Makes no sense whatsoever. It didn't really make sense that someone would overpay DMo even when SnTs were legal, hence why a SnT never happened.

It would only make sense to dreaming Rockets fans.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. Normalus

Normalus Member

We can't do SnT with Motiejunas involved anymore, or am I wrong?

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I'm not sure about a SnT, but the Stein's tweet relates to the ability to sign a player and trade him within the same NBA season.

heypartner likes this.
  8. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

If Utah is indeed interested I would not mind getting Lyles back in any deal.

9. heypartner

That was the case as soon as the regular season started. TMac'n explains Stein's tweet.

TMac'n likes this.
  10. basketballholic

No. That's not what I said. I said DMo will get his money. I did not say we were going to get a juicy trade. Here's what I have said starting with the signing of Anderson:

1. The signing of Anderson signaled the end of DMi as a Rocket because of minutes and role.

2. DMo was likely going to be signed-and-traded. There were talks.

3. DMo has his money. (Nets wanted him and were willing to pay him. Problem was he was restricted. The contract they were going to give him, Morey may have matched. Neither side wanted that. Morey didn't want to be stuck with the contract and Nets wanted (still do) him and we're willing to make a trade to make it happen.) This is why I said DMo has his money. They're has been lots of talks between us and the Nets. But we can't close the deal, at least not yet, and maybe never. Lopez is a last resort scenario.

4. DMo was not going to sign the qualifying offer or the low ball 3-year offer with one year guaranteed offer from Morey. The reason is because DMo and his crew knew at least one other team was willing to pay him more.
    5. Morey is still using DMo as a trade chip even though he can't trade him. Morey is willing to let DMo walk to the Nets or another team if he can get the right trade completed. However there is now the possibility of trading Anderson to Sacramento and keeping DMo.
    6. Morey has made it real clear that he is going to match any offer sheet that only has one year guaranteed salary. Why should DMo sign a low 2-year deal with only one year guaranteed and essentially become what Boris Diaw is to the Jazz, just salary cap flexibility. Of course this is what Morey wants. But DMo has no incentive to fall into that jail and then have to try to earn a big deal after his low ball deal plays out two years from now. He'll have to sign another low "prove you can play" deal then.

DMo is going to get his money.

Kiddsir likes this.
  11. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I am gonna make these D-Mo threads useful by posting clips of D-Mo vs the team we are playing that day. Tonight its GS:

PrawnJ and BigMaloe like this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I do believe the Brook Lopez scenario (it's been brought up, not a front burner type thing) meshed with something Codman has heard.

Sacramento as a possibility for Anderson I can see, given how it's his hometown and he recently spent beaucoup bucks on a home there. Donatas might then come into play. Still, I don't know if even Morey is that predatory (but I wouldn't put it past him). I guess if the right player became available it's be "Adios, 'mano", but didn't the Rockets want Anderson for a long while (not to mention Nene)?

13. basketballholic

We have wanted elite 3-point shooting at the 4 since we've had James. Make no mistake, Anderson is an elite shooter. He had to be defended. And he has to be defended tight because he has a gunfighters quick release that will allow him to get off a pile of very accurate 3-balls if given just a sliver of daylight for a millisecond.

Because Anderson is such a devastating shooter he allows James to basically play 4 on 4 and that's virtually unfair to the D. This is what Dada isn't understanding about the difference between Anderson and DMo. Dada keeps looking at their numbers instead of comparing their affect. Like I said yesterday about Rubio we're letting the big dog run off the chains. As long as we are Harden centric them Anderson's spacing and gun is more valuable to Harden than DMo's ability to put the ball on the wood and make plays. DMo can about the 3, but he's gotta look through the sites and line everything up whereas Anderson just has to pull. That small difference means the difference between James putting up huge numbers and just big numbers because throwing it to DMo would mean more possessions where Dmo plays with the ball and creates for himself or somebody else. That doesn't fit the narrative here which is why the Rockets value Anderson more. They want DMo to come off the bench and do his thing when Harden sits. They don't want DMo taking assists and shots away from the big dog.

I'm not saying I agree with what they're doing here. Because I don't. While Harden is entertaining to watch individually and the offense is fun, this season is boring to me. Because we have no chance of ever winning a as long as we play one-dimensional basketball through James. When you can freeze the video at any point and you can predict with 95% accuracy what is going to happen next you know your team isn't winning anything significant. And that's precisely what we have here. Predictable basketball.

So I still maintain DMo is gone unless somehow we make a blockbuster trade involving Anderson that brings back Cousins or some other superstar

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - of course I understand what Anderson brings as an elite 3pt shooter. I am not saying either or, with DMo and Anderson, I am saying have DMO play the 5 at times with Anderson in a Mehmet Okur style of setup, so now you can't play Gobert in the paint - freeing it up for Harden, you know 4 3pt threats instead of just 3 with Capella.

DD

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Who gets rebounds in that situation? D-Mo is such a garbage rebounder and Anderson is not much better.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually DMo is about the same as Anderson - not sure about rebounds though, do those count as points?

DD

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, look at you stealing J.R.'s job. :D

zeeshan2 likes this.
  19. heypartner

Finally, news.

20. heypartner

If you don't make this a new thread, someone else will. I won't this time. But watch it happen.