1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Ennis is terrible

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 27, 2016.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Stupidity to cut Prigs who is a veteran presence and you know exactly what you get out of him for this scrub.

I can't think of any other reason besides Maury not wanting to accept that trading for Tyler Anus and then cutting him will be a blotch on him.

ChumpCity and rustyrob like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When I saw you were the thread's most recent poster, I said, "It's like a car accident. I have to look. It'll be a 'Maury'-bash."

I wish Morey would pay you back for the $20 you loaned him when he was short on cash and wanted to order a pizza. Or maybe we can get a cease-and-desist order on you. Something.

Pen15clubber, D-rock and heypartner like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Cutting Prigs was a head-scratcher, considering he's like a practice, player-coach for Harden on running the offense. He can run this stuff in his sleep.

But, my phraseology on this is slightly different: Why we cut Prigs for Brown is beyond me.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Again "instant offense" is subjective, because while Beasley's offense is ok, he has a tendency to be a blackhole which can bring the team offense down overall. And he's a big guy, big guys have to do 2 of rebounding, scoring and defense and Beasley can only do 1 of that. It's not like we're hurting at PF, with Anderson, Nene and Dekker where does Beasley get PT? I don't see him as a massive upgrade considering Dekker and Nene have been decent backups to Anderson. You keep saying nothing but Ennis is getting a lot of PT right now, it's not a lot but certainly not "nothing".

The pace last year and the pace this year is different, and Beasley' role last year and role this year would be different, the coaching last year and this year is different and even majority of the players on the roster are different. I already explained to you that the team last year and the team this year is very different so why does that difference not count but the Bucks and Rockets difference counts? If you're going to count Beasley's performance last year on a totally different Rockets team and playstyle and say he was amazing, why does his lackluster performance now on yet another different team and playstyle not count? And Beasley was never a playmaker, in fact people are saying he was a blackhole on offense, not someone who can create plays for others. MDA's offfense is Euro style, you require a lot of movement, a lot of passing and a lot of energy that's why guys like Dekker and KJ and Harrell and Capela who couldn't do anything last year are thriving. Is Beasley known for his high bball IQ and hustle on the court? I don't think so, his playstyle is ISO heavy so and he likes scoring in half court sets so honestly we don't know if he will thrive in MDA's offense or not. He played in Summer League though and when the Rockets ran MDA's offense he played so badly against rookies the team basically sent him home and didn't play him again so it's not as cut and dry as you think.

We're also seeing what Ennis can do, he can keep the lead close when Harden sits. You can say he's not doing anything, but why is it the Rockets get clowned when he sits and Bobby Brown plays if he's really as trash as you say he is? I know I'm coming off as an Ennis lover here, but that couldn't be further from the truth I didn't even know he existed before the Rockets traded for him. I'm all for upgrading our 3rd string pg, but if you ask if in a vacuum if this team needed Beasley or needed Ennis more I'd say Ennis 100% of the time which is why the trade is a good trade. You can argue there would've been better targets for Beasley or hell just keep Archie Goodwin or someone else, but at its core trading Beasley for Ennis is a great move as we would've been boned with just Harden as the sole playmaker on the team.

DMO (DJ remix) likes this.
  5. craguin

craguin Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

roslolian likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

"Maury" is one of the most cold blooded GMs out there since when did he give a **** about what others thought of him? Bev and DMo and have two of the most loyal and hard core players on the team always giving good sound bites and Morey didn't give a ****, lowballed both of them including past fan favorites Lowry, Mandry, Scola, etc. dude clearly doesn't care even when it involves good players why would he suddenly bend over backwards for a 3rd string scrub? This is the same guy who convinced Slowmile Swift to sign at a discount with the promise making him the 3rd star alongside Tmac and Yao, but then had no qualms trading him back to the Grizz (who offered him more money initially) when it turned out he sucked. So no, if he can do that I doubt he'll have issues cutting Ennis if he really thought Ennis was garbage.

Ennis is the new Shane Battier aka "teflon don" of the team, a lot of his effect on the court doesn't translate into stats but if you look at the overall score he is clearly doing something since the only time he sees PT is when Harden sits. With everyone and their mother swearing up and down this team is 100% dependent on Harden and would lose every game without Harden, Ennis is the only guy on the team who plays majority of the time without Harden, and for some reason the Rockets hold on while he is in. I'm not a stats genius and I'm not saying he is like a hidden superstar or whatever, but the dude clearly has some value that you guys are just ignoring, a total zero on the court would result in a massive swing in scores when you replace your best player with him. People rage a lot at Brewer but statistics wise his performance is decent, however if you watch games he clearly has a negative effect and I get tense every time I see him on the court as we end up losing pts more than not when he is in and Harden sits. I don't get the same vibes from Ennis, courtside reporters always say the Rockets have to find a way to survive whenever Harden sits but 7 mins later Harden is coming back and the score is still the same or just a couple of pts from when he left.

Ennis is not a player who will win you games, but clearly he is also not a player who will cause you to lose games. At worst he is a 0, and considering he is our 3rd string pg and his young age I think that's passable. If the Rockets can find a better player I'm all for cutting or trading him away, but until that happens he is the best of what is on the roster, and certainly brings better value than what Beasley would've brought in this year.

#226 roslolian, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  7. hakeemthagreat

That being said, I actually looked at his stats the last few games. Last game he played against the Mavs, he scored 7pts in 10 minutes (on 3-4 fg) and was a +8. The game before that he scored 10pts in 16 minutes (on 5-10 fg). He's also shooting 52% from the field this year. I'm convinced you haven't followed him at all this year and just made something up out of thin air. Beasley has been decent for the Bucks so far, while Ennis has been a disaster everytime he gets on the floor. All of Brewer's minutes should be going to Beasley right now, and Bobby Brown should be playing over Ennis. Ennis shouldn't be in the NBA

Blackhole? All you're doing is spewing old knocks from his early years & ignoring his new improved game he showed last year. None of the stuff you're criticizing on applies to him now. Did you watch us last year?

Cashmoney likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sergio Llull would solve our Ennis shortcomings.

Pen15clubber and Vivi like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd take JSmoove over Bobby any day of the week. Bobby just reeks. And Ennus don't smell much better.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Worst post of the year. So many things to make fun of. Good lord.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course I watched us last year, all the positive stuff you're saying about him is just regarding his shooting, how does that invalidate my point about him being a black hole? Last year we needed a guy who shot without a conscience since Harden is the only consistent scorer on the team, this year we need someone who can play a systems role because we have guys who should be getting shots like Gordon, Nene, Anderson, Capela, Ariza and Dekker, all of whom hit 3 pts shots better than Beasley does, rebound better than Beasley does and probably play defense better than Beasley does. You accuse me of saying stuff that doesn't apply to Beasley anymore but then your evidence for that is watching him play last year? How does him playing good last year apply to his play this year? The year before last Harden was an MVP runner up, that didn't have any effect on his play last year he sucked at the start of the season. It's just as absurd as your earlier argument how Beasley is playing in a different system on the Bucks so you can't compare his performance however we can compare his play on our team last year when we have a completely new coaching philosophy and new players on the team.

You haven't really been able to rebut any of the arguments I've made other than continually point out Beasley's 51% FG while conveniently ignoring his 19% 3P%, horrible 50% FT%, 1.9 totals rebs in 13 mins of play and .9 TOV per game. He scores 6.6 pts a game but averages 1 TO a game, that's 4.6 pts net for a guy who is brought in to be "instant offense" and doesn't really contribute anything else on the table. You know who has been watching his game? The Bucks. If he's such a great steal why is he only getting 13 mins of PT on the team? Even in games when he was tearing it up on 3/4 shooting with +8 how come he still only played 10 mins? Bucks want to win games, if the guy is playing great 7 games into the season he would've played more.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Your post is the worst post of the year, as you literally didn't add anything to the conversation but somehow felt superior enough to insult someone else. Good lord. Why would you even post if you have nothing to say? Just wasted everybody's time on this thread :rolleyes:

jchu14 likes this.
  13. thiefery

thiefery Member

so..when can we bring back Prigs??

DonKnock and Pen15clubber like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Actually the only good game he had was the last one vs the Mavs. Still even though he was the only one playing well he only got 10 mins. Almost every other game he has been a minus in the floor. That;s why he hasn't been getting much playing time over Teletovic who until recently couldn't hit the wide side of a barn and can't defend a chair. And from the three pfs in the roster Beasley is actually the best defender LOL.

vs the kings in a 26 pnts blowout win he managed to actually get a -8 in 16 mins which is a remarkable achievement. In the win vs BKN he had a -15 plus minus.
    His issue is that every other player even Monroe, plays teamball with the ball almost all the time moving but he doesn't.
    Between the two teams, he would fit much better with the Rockets style of play I will give u that.

15. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Every free agent/player we get plays really well in the beginning then turns to SH_T!

In just the last few years you have - Brewer, Smoove, Howard, Thornton, Beasley, Terry, TJones, Dmo. Seriously, they all turn to SH_T after a short period of optimism. Nene was rocking during the preseason. Now look at him. Going down the same path.

Something's wrong within this organization. We're not creating a culture/atmosphere of winners here.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What's going to happen in this thread when he plays well?

17. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

What happens if he continues not playing well?

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More like Tyler Pennis!!!!

19. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

When you play minutes, you are expected to yield results. He has registered 1 positive +/- so far. His PER is -4.05.Second lowest in the entire league. Nobody has had season PER below 4.0 since 2010. You can't find anyone worse to replace him.

20. dmoneybangbang

Why the lovefest for Prigs? Has anyone actually watched him play a NBA game since he left the Rockets the first time? I like him but we need youth and trade able pieces.

It's pretty easy to see why Ennis wasn't cut considering his contract situation and age, the only curious move is keeping Bobby Brown.