1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Doctor Strange

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 4, 2014.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Watched it in IMAX, went to see it in IMAX 3D but one project was darker than the other, so they gave us free tickets and showed us just in IMAX regular instead. Very good, reminds me of Inception a bit tbh as far as the graphics go.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Death, taxes, and Marvel movies being good.

While not quite as good as the best, I would put it in the upper half of the MCU. Can't wait to see the Doctor team up with the rest of the group.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I watched it a second time in 3D IMAX and enjoyed it even more. That said there was one thing that bothered me, it's not a real spoiler, but I'll spoiler it anyway because once you hear what I say, you won't be able to watch the movie without it being a distraction....or at least I wasn't able to.

The music is by Michael Giacchino, the same guy who did the new Star Trek movies and while I liked what he did for those movies, I absolutely didn't like that it sounds like the same damn thing for Doctor Strange. I imagine if you asked him about it, he'd probably give you some excuse while sounding like Vanilla Ice talking about how he didn't rip off Queen. Of course it's a bit different since he essentially plagiarized himself, but the second time I saw the movie I couldn't stop hearing the new Star Trek score. Sure it's a little different, but not nearly different enough to call it something wholly different.

As to the actual movie, I generally HATE watching movies in 3D, but I feel like they did a damn good job of it. In this one i felt it actually sort of added something to the movie in certain parts instead of just being an annoying gimmick as is the case with a LOT of movies.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i don't like 3D movies, but saw it in 3D the second time since i heard this movie was made for 3D. But all in all, i enjoyed watching it more in normal 2D. 3D gets kind of annoying quick and a bit dizzying.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

generic origin story. Was successful but now down on their luck person finds wise master and fights wise master's old protege (same as ant man). no risk. just a safe simple movie. 3/10. Just out of curiosity for those who liked it, what was the most memorable scene/dialogue/shot for you?

#206 tallanvor, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Thought it was the best solo movie since the original Iron Man. I wanted to see it in IMAX, but it was only available in IMAX 3D. I thought the 3D was excellent. 1 hour of the movie was filmed on IMAX cameras, that's never been done before in a major Hollywood production. For reference, Civil War's 17 minute airport battle was filmed in IMAX.

The visuals were the best in a Marvel movie to this point for me, my previous favorite was Guardians of the Galaxy.

My only two gripes were: Kaecilius is a bit generic, as is typical of the origin movies and I felt that Rachel McAdams' character went along with things quite easily.

The cast was perfect, and I can't emphasize enough how awesome everything looked if you're into eye candy.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Any scene with Chiwetel Ejiofor or Tilda Swinton in it. They were outstanding.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

now that you've seen it, would you agree with me that it's better than Iron Man 1 for origin stories?

i imagine if it were to come out at the same time as Iron Man 1, it would tie, if not beat it.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think it was better. Iron Man was funnier, Strange was more serious. I really enjoyed it.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Saw it on IMAX 3D. Went in with no expectations and not even a huge urge to see it and came out loving it. I guess you could argue it's a fairly formulaic origin story but that's kind of the nature of superheroes isn't it? They did an awesome job of bringing that world to life. IMAX and 3D were well worth it especially if you use this buy one get one free plus $5 off deal:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9213863-bu...tickets-mobile-app-ymmv?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's a superhero origin story, you can't expect an oscar worthy originality for story. it served its purpose of introducing a character that's set to join a bigger story line. much better than the boring remakes of 80's and 90's classics.

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was enjoyable: 8/10

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Benedict Photobomb-atch

[​IMG]

15. Remix

Remix Member

Thought it was great. Enters top 5 MCU movies for me along with the first Iron man, the first Avengers, Guardians, and Civil War

16. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Was pretty meh to me. 7/10

17. PhiSlammaJamma

The music is by Michael Giacchino, the same guy who did the new Star Trek movies and while I liked what he did for those movies, I absolutely didn't like that it sounds like the same damn thing for Doctor Strange. I imagine if you asked him about it, he'd probably give you some excuse while sounding like Vanilla Ice talking about how he didn't rip off Queen. Of course it's a bit different since he essentially plagiarized himself, but the second time I saw the movie I couldn't stop hearing the new Star Trek score. Sure it's a little different, but not nearly different enough to call it something wholly different.

Oh I heard it. and I immediately thought Trek too. And his deep voice a bit as well. It was too close to get away with it. The movie trumped it though in the end.

#217 PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  18. PhiSlammaJamma

Overall: 8/10

Benedict was fantastic. He carried the movie. Liked the movie generally. Supporting characters and villiams were all money. Think it's at it's best in IMAX and 3D. Perhaps got a little too convenient near the end with the time travel, but good magic movie. The only thing I had a hard time getting past was everyone making way for what amounted to an awipe, and then also his almost immediate mastery of powers, but I reckon the ancient one knew he would be a good guy in the end so I can live with it.

Question: is the black mystique the same guy who ultimately becomes the Black Panther character too from Civil War.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not 100% sure who you are talking about but either way the answer is no. The end of the movie took place at the same time as the events of Civil War so the Black Panther was doing his own thing.

I think you are talking about Baron Mordo....and he's the guy who ends up becoming one of Dr Strange's biggest enemies so he's not Black Panther either.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing during the movie until I remembered black panther actor was a bit younger. They definitely look related.