1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

So I went to Best Buy, and bought the Verizon Pixel XL silver. Stuck my T-Mobile sim in. Works just fine for those who wanted to do the same.

This is a very nice phone. I have always owned all black phones (outside of the Note 7 in blue), so I was a little concerned with a white/silver phone, but I like it. I plan to put a skin on it for some added grip, but that's it.

The image stabilization is wicked. So far it works great. I don't take many photos, but they seem pretty good. Phone is fast and snappy. Has a nice amount of heft to give it the feel of the price tag.

The moving wallpapers is cool too. Small thing, but so cool.

Google Assistant is pretty cool. I've used more voice commands and searches b/c of it. She's quite humorous too. Ask her to sing to you.

Only gripe so far is that I wish the fingerprint scanner was faster. It's not slow, just seems like it could be a smidge faster.

Videos and pictures don't do the phone justice. It's a nice phone in hand. Check the demos out at best buy if you are on the fence.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Verizon is legally required to unlock all phones that it sells. (thanks to Google for convincing the FCC to write in an unlock requirement to the 700 mhz auction that Verizon won) As long as Verizon operates the upper 700c spectrum, they have to offer open access which was interpreted to mean unlocked devices.

So really any Verizon device over the last 6 or so years have been unlocked from day 1.

ramotadab likes this.
  4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

5. hlcc

hlcc Member

6. Dave2000

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Dave2000

I've asked this before but never got an answer, so I'll ask again

Do you have good service at Rockets games in Toyota Center? If you do, which provider do you have? I was using Aio/Cricket past few seasons, never got good data coverage, switched to MetroPCS after hearing some people that have T-Mobile having better luck. After preseason and yesterday's home game, data still sucks with MetroPCS, probably worse than Cricket. When I worked at Verizon and had their service had zero issues even when they had 3G up until LTE.

Scionxa says he gets good coverage with his iPhone 7 and ATT, thinking since that supports Band 29/30 which my Nexus 6P supports also. MetrocPCS may have faster speeds, but Cricket has WAY superior data coverage. I always had 4G, HSPA at worse with Cricket, with MetroPCS, I had in some cases got Edge, effing EDGE......

8. Dave2000

#448 Dave2000, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    ramotadab likes this.
  9. geeimsobored

All of this depends on the phone you have and the band its connecting to. Carriers are now aggregating LTE bands for higher speeds. In Houston both AT&T and TMobile are aggregating three bands of LTE together while Verizon is aggregating two. If you don't have full carrier aggregation, your speeds will be significantly worse than someone properly utilizing 3x carrier aggregation. AT&T in particular is night and day depending on if you are aggregating with Band 30. Also some phones don't even connect to all available LTE bands (even if they can't aggregate)

So the short answer is what phone were you using when you were in Toyota Center?

Dave2000 likes this.
  10. Dave2000

Nexus 6P which supports

LTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 25(1900), 26(850), 29(700), 30(2300), 41(2500)

11. geeimsobored

The 6P only supports 2x carrier aggregation. The thing I forgot to mention is that I think only Verizon has access to the DAS system in Toyota Center. A DAS is an internal set of antennas set up to broadcast a cellular (or multiple cellular carrier) bands. Since its internal to the stadium, you end up with a lot more capacity to support the thousands of people at the game as well as better coverage.

Someone should confirm this though. Really whoever has access to the Toyota Center DAS will have the best coverage but I feel like only Verizon is broadcasting on it.

Dave2000 likes this.
  12. myco

myco Contributing Member

Out of curiosity, does your Pixel XL have Verizon branding on it?

13. Dave2000

That's what I was afraid of with Verizon the only ones that has the DAS/booster and the rest of the carriers are just crap.

Sucks that I've had better wifi coverage in other NBA arenas, TD Garden has had the best reception along with MSG and Barclays. Hell, I had GREAT wifi at AT&T Stadium during Wrestlemania and that had over 100k there.

thanks for your help/input sir

14. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

16. Dave2000

My 6P decided to take a dump on me this morning, was looking at it, locked it, set it down, saw it reboot, then reboot again, held it, not powering up at all. Worked with Nexus' Twitter account for troubleshooting, still nothing. Google support setup a phone call to me, said I was out of warranty by THREE DAYS (10/31/16), transferred me to Huawei, and they couldn't do anything.

Other than the blind transfer (call center jargon, thanks Verizon) to Huawei, Google's support for the Nexus is fantastic. Didn't have to hold to speak to someone, the Nexus Twitter account sent me a DM with a link to fill out my info and they called me within like 2 mins.

I'm hoping that draining the battery on the 6P, then wake it up after I plug it in to charge it. Currently on the ZTE Max Pro I got a few months back, my LeEco Pro 3 scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. I'm going to miss that badass camera on the 6P :(

17. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

I decided to order the LeEco Le S3. Didnt wanna spend the extra $150 for Pro 3. Let's see what this company is all about.

Dave2000 likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Come onnnnnnnnnn Black Friday deals!

19. Dave2000

Awesome, are you getting yours tomorrow also? Pretty quick turnaround, delivering from California

Btw, my 6P booted up this morning, going to hard reset it over the weekend, and see if it'll stay up. If the LeEco doesn't blow me away, I'll resell it on Swappa and stay on my 6P

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

RCS IS HERE! FINALLY!!!

OmegaSupreme likes this.