1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source informed me That the rockets will sign Dmo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DMtheGM, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, when you already have 90 million on the books for next year....where is this max space going to come from? Even if you somehow get it, who would you use it on? What position would you use it on? Depth in the front court is the most needed but FA big men cost a ton these days.

I mean, I get that you're trying to come up with something, but I just don't think you thought it out fully.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Stop being an idiot.

Right now, at this moment, we have a reasonable path to freeing up max cap room.

If we signed Dmo, we wouldn't. Dmo isn't worth crippling the teams best chance at taking the next step.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't disagree with you, but Les is not out there offering contracts to Brewer or Anderson, or bringing in Twill or Thabeet - while I am NOT a fan of Les, and AM a fan of Morey to an extent, I also have high expectations, and do not believe in the CAP room gets us anywhere philosophy, as when EVERYONE has cap room, then it is not all that valuable.

What I don't like is getting 2nd tier free agents and paying them 1st tier money - I honestly question whether Morey understands how players styles fit together on the court - and can build a team correctly - Dmo is more valuable to Harden than Anderson is.....because he moves the ball and his body.....things Harden needs.....

Anyway, does't matter what I think...I believe this has dragged out too long already and I put that on DMo as he is a RFA - so either he should have gotten a suitor or signed the QO....

DD

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, that's an odd collection of teams who build championships via free agency.

The Warriors are the poster child for assembling a championship team via draft. And even with Durant they didn't have enough cap room to get him, and had to disassemble their team to clear enough. That's called Morey-esque cap flexibility.

The Spurs last year won 66 games but got bounced in the 2nd round by the previous poster child for developing via draft -- OKC. And prior, Spurs were the definition of developing via draft, including their last ring. Even with Gasol and the historical cap jump, they didn't have enough to pay him without purging others. And with LMA, they again had to do some juggling to get him, trading Splitter and others from their title team and getting Duncan and Gino to take less than market. Read this:
    The Spurs can sign LaMarcus Aldridge, but it will be complicated. Again that's called Morey-esque cap flexibility.

Let's not reinvent history to make a highly arguable point saying you build title contenders via caproom. Just last year everyone was talking about how Warriors built a historically GOAT team via draft. And the 7 Game WCF was the two poster-childs for developing via Draft. The free agency vs draft vs trade debate is just a really old argument, with no clear winner. And would be a weak argument to say the Cavs were built via free agency. Nah, that's just the only team Lebron was going to go to...and even still they had to have the draft picks to get Irving and Love in order to attract him.

Further, Morey is the model GM of cap flexibility, he just fails to attract big free agents.

Lastly, go check the NBA Dish forum...."what" says OKC will win more games than the Durant Warriors, anyhow. :D

5. basketballholic

Anderson could very well be traded...especially if we bring back DMo.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, then spell it out. Since you are endorsing effectively throwing the rest of the season in order to go after a max FA in the offseason, spell out how they go from 90+ million on the books next year already to having max space. Also say what position they'd target and who.

Doubtful. Who is going to want Ryan Anderson for 20 mil a year?

7. basketballholic

If he lights it up for a few games it could materialize. He is spacing the floor very effectively for us. Teams are keeping a defender glued to him which turns the game into 4 on 4. That's good for practically every offensive team. Especially those with dominant low block scorers.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe the Kings since they wanted to sign him...but i can see other teams having interest in him if guys like Millsap, Griffin are leaving.

basketballholic likes this.
  9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No team will want Anderson and his 20 million contract.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Plenty. At least with this size of league cap space. Anderson is still an elite shooter. He's not having a down year.

11. dmoneybangbang

And? What has drafting well gotten OKC?

Of course you don't care about cap room because you would have given out big contracts to fringe stars and borderline all stars tying the team up to mediocrity. It's very tough win. This isn't Morey's team top to bottom when he doesn't choose the coach as the roster may look a bit different if we had gotten Vogel instead.

12. basketballholic

Millsap is saying and doing all the right things right now in Atlanta. They've cooled substantially to trading him.

13. craguin

craguin Member

Ryan Anderson entered free agency as an 8-year veteran under the 'Tier 2' category ($26,540,100 max).

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He does nothing else on the court though. He's one of the most one sided players in the NBA....and he's not an elite offensive weapon. In a perfect world he'd be used as a bench guy to come in and hit some 3's while the other team's top guys are resting. 20 million a year for him is massively overpaying.

I mean, he's a better version of Steve Novak.

15. heypartner

"what" says OKC will win more games this year than GSW. :p

In seriousness,
    1 Finals and 3 WCFs.

They destroyed the Spurs 4 games in a row to make the Finals, and after destroying the Spurs again 3 Games in a row, they had a 3-1 lead in the WCF versus the Warriors (73 win, defending champion, arguably GOAT team). Plus, had Durant closed out that Game 6, or Klay not gone insane, Durant stays in OKC.

bottomline: They might win more games than us this year, so don't go talking **** about them,,,and jinxing us.

#715 heypartner, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A better team than us.

DD

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@OKC

OKC drafted well and could have had 1 or 2 titles, they just choked when it got serious. Harden also pulled a choke job in the Finals.

Drafting well can only put you with the best possibility to be successful but execution must be done by coach, players.......

18. heypartner

This is a weak understanding of MDA's offense. You can do better than that. You have the basketball know-how. I have faith in you.

Ryno is one of the key players in the strongside of our offense. He is actively creating space for Harden, not passively via standing in the corner weakside. He has a great understanding of the game, and makes the right picks, cuts, flares, passes -- good timing, etc. All those things people say DMo does.

Now, we can say there are other PFs for less money who can do that, but let's not say Novak can, or that Wiltjer is anywhere close to showing that ability to faciliate on the strongside with Harden, yet. He's on another level of play were coaches like MDA will put him in the heart of complicated offensive sets....whether he scores or not.

Here you are weakly pigeonholing a player as a spot up shooter only, when other times you are really good at explaining the stuff a player contributes on offense even when not scoring -- DMo.

DMtheGM, malakas and basketballholic like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You will have to wait till I get home from work and I can pull up my spreadsheets.

And just LOL at "effectively throwing the rest of the season".

This season is effectively thrown out for every team that is not LAC, SAS, GSW, or CLE

Adding a mediocre player in Motiejunas is not going to change anything significantly.

He really can't....

He is a confirmation bias queen.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, and besides, in a couple of years his salary will be ok so, since he's signed for four years, i can see him having a decent/good value in the market for the right team.