1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Expansion: Sonics Probably Returning

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hoopster325, Oct 25, 2016.

1. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is good, they can have our spot in the West, we can move to the Eastern conference.

3. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

The NBA would move the Pelicans or Grizzlies first.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  4. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I think eventually the NBA will expand to 32 teams. Too much money on the table. Seattle is definitely the first option, possibly Las Vegas would be the next.

5. Oscar Riquelme

Seattle SuperSonics :p

6. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

I highly, highly, highly doubt Vegas gets the nod.

They're already getting NHL and Raiders are incredibly close to going to Vegas.

Incredibly risky without seeing how Vegas even supports one of these teams to suddenly get 3 all at once.

Louisville seems like the likely 2nd city as of right now, but I think Vancouver could get in the mix and take the other spot. NBA gave up very quickly on them back in the 90s. They have an arena, NBA has done tremendous with the Raptors, the sport is growing in Canada, and Vancouver is a very passionate sports city. Growing in Canada would be a smart move since Western Canada is very, very remote from Eastern Canada, expecting BC to root for Toronto is like expecting Texans to root for Boston. Plus there is a ton of money in that city, and its international, more exposure into Asian markets, etc.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Just what we need in a talent diluted league. More teams.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Can we go ahead and trade DMO to one for a first round pick? He seems to need the rest anyways .

9. CertifiedTroll

I think Seatle and Las Angeles could really use a team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

I hope they return and I will support them. According to the rumours there are around 5 more cities in the mix for the expansion.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

funniest part is, i believe the thunder took the supersonics' rights with them. just like the texans couldnt go back to the oilers, i dont think a seattle team can go back to the sonics. will be interesting to see what name they choose.

Jontro likes this.
  12. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

When they left, Thunder agreed to send back all trademarks when basketball returned to Seattle.

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The Honolulu Islanders has a nice ring to it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

The NBA really needs to grow into A Austin. If you can give California 4 teams you can give Texas 4 teams, especially with all this population growth we're having from all the other states that are falling apart economically. Already got the name picked out. Austin Weirdos. They would love it! It would tie right into their motto of 'Keep Austin Weird' which it is. Then the real basketball teams of Texas, Houston and San Antonio, can take turns beating the crap out of the garbage teams of Texas and pad our winning percentages. Yes, I'm looking at you Dallas.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

NO I've lived in Austin too long. I would want to root for the team. But I never could because of ya know, I'm kind of a fan of that Hakeem guy.

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm a Rockets fan no matter where I live and I've lived in 4 different states as well as Dallas and San Antonio.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

GREAT, just like the year NBA expanded with Vancouver and Toronto and dilution helped tbe Bulls win 72 games, now the Warriors would win 77 games lol.

Yes, bring them HERE :D

plutoblue11 likes this.
  18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Give them one of gsws stars

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I got ya, and I even stated in my post I would not stop being a Rockets fan.

This example would be different though because it would be a brand new team.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I actually thought about what if Seattle and a friend came along for a 32 team league. I was thinking Vancouver is ready to come back. I was thinking Minnesota could move to the east. I think they make more sense than Memphis, but I could understand Memphis moving east. Also, they should go back to 2 divisions per conference to balance it out.