1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source informed me That the rockets will sign Dmo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DMtheGM, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Who in NBA works 30 min every night for 4.4 mil in 2016?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. He was a career 29% 3 point shooter when the Rockets got him and that's abysmal for a wing. On top of that, while his gambling for steals increases that number, his overall defense was never any good. To me, a wing that can't shoot, can't create, and can't play defense is a scrub.

I don't see how Bev is relevant here, Bev is a quality player, Brewer is not.

Well when you choose to be cheap, you run the risk of him simply not playing for you....and then you are hurting your team simply to save a bit of money.....not exactly a good look. None of the rest really matters.

Both Gordon and Anderson are considerably more injury prone than DMo, yet both of them make considerably more than DMo would command. You are compounding the mistake of signing Anderson by not having anyone on the roster that can effectively back him up when, not if, he gets hurt. The fact that the Rockets have Bird rights and wouldn't have to pay DMo that much to get him to sign just makes the decision that much more embarrassing.

Now if they can convince him to sign for the bargain basement price then that's awesome but till then they are doing nothing but making the Anderson signing worse by not paying for a quality backup.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Brewer also shot 50% from the 2, and his win shares for that season were 2.7. He came back down to earth the next season but his play for us was pretty good when he got traded why do you think JB would develop a man crush on him if he was Scrubby Mcscrub all the time.

The Rockets aren't just trying to save money, they have no cap left and are on the luxury tax threshold. The more money they pay DMo the less flexibility they would have in later trades because the salaries have to match.

Rockets have lots of guys who can play the 4, there's Harrell, Capela, Nene, Wiltjer, Ariza, Brewer, and Dekker all of whom saw time at the 4 this year or last year. Maybe you don't understand the meaning of "compounding the mistake" because to back up an injury prone high risk guy you want another injury prone high risk guy that's like literally the meaning of compounding the mistake because instead of paying 30M for two high risk guys you're now paying 38M for 3 high risk guys. What assurance do you have that DMo won't be injured when Anderson gets injured, at least Anderson is healthy now DMo hasn't been healthy for the past 3 years.

I bolded the last part because that's exactly what the Rockets are doing now, they aren't paying him much because they have their bird rights and no other team has expressed any indication they want to sign him. Dmo just doesn't want to sign a low ball contract, he wants 8M which was his market price when he was healthy. 4.8M or so that the Rox are offering is decent for a guy with back injuries, they could have offered him 3M per year like what they gave to Mcdaniels.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

People on rookie contracts, and apparently also people who severely mishandle free agency the year after their rookie contract.

dharocks likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For all I know, JBB was a fan of Corey Brewer due to sexual favors, it sure as hell wasn't legitimately due to his play.

The Rockets are more than 13 million under the luxury, so that's just not accurate. They really are just pinching pennies.

Sure you can list bodies who can technically man the position but that doesn't mean you want them playing there. Right now the Rockets are screwed when Nene and Anderson go down, both things that will almost certainly happen. Maybe you're fine with that, maybe Morey is fine with that. I'm not sure, but if the goal is winning as much as possible is the goal, you shouldn't be fine with it.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok so minus 8M from that 13, that means all trades the Rox will do next year should by match by only 5M otherwise they can't do it. That would pretty much kill almost all trade scenarios unless you're exchanging players 1 for 1 with the same salary.

I'm not fine with Nene and Anderson just manning the PF spot, but what I'm saying is if your concern is that they are injury prone why do you want to pay 8M for an injury prone back up for them? You keep saying Nene and Anderson will 100% go down what about DMo? How do you know he won't go down, possibly even before Nene and Anderson? If your worry is that since both Anderson and Nene are injury risk they will miss games how do you know DMo won't get injured? Worst case scenario is all three of them get injured and the Rox don't have enough cap room to trade for a healthy replacement. The rockets have access to all three of their health records if they think Ryan Anderson will get injured 100% of the time they wouldn't pay him 20M. OTH the entire league didn't even offer DMo a contract that should tell you something about his health risk.

I want Dmo back but only at a hefty discount, otherwise I'd roll with what we have and then look for midseason trades for possible replacements.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The operative phrase here is "right now." Let's not project this out to Morey "is fine with" not enough depth to handle injuries, when it is something that may end next week. I'm sure his goal is winning. If you say allowing a hold-out means his goal isn't entirely about winning, then what does that say about DMo's role in the hold out.

It sucks Morey won't just cave and give DMo what he wants, and it sucks that doing so might also set a precedent for the furture -- other hold outs, to include 2nd rounders signing their first contract after the draft. Some teams just don't reward hold outs by going up in price. Isn't that the Texans' rule, too?

And note: we are talking about a multi-sourced rumor that the Rockets were offering a 1+1 (team option) for $16m...that's not really penny-pinching, in my book. But I can see how a player wouldn't want to sign that Team Option.

8. DMtheGM

DMtheGM Member

Nene most likely won't be playing PF. It seems like dekker and harrel will get those minutes when we don't go small. And when we do go small, Ariza and brewer will get those minutes at back up PF.

9. opticon

opticon Member

I am a little shocked. I did not think BJ would let Dmo miss game checks.

I have no idea what the next move is.

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

Multiple sauces :rolleyes:

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

BJ doesn't care about DMO.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think DMO needs the Rockets more than the other way around. What a terrible agent. Dmo really has no leverage here, it's not like he came off a great year and what is worse is that he missed a chance to get to know MDA and see how he'll fit in the offense. I think this is an opportunity missed for DMO. Not like much is expected from this team and the best this team can get is a 2nd round playoff appearance.This is a chance for DMO to have a breakout year and he's let it slip.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys it is NOT BJ - he is taking his orders from DMO.

The agent has no power here.....this is business.

DD

DMtheGM likes this.
  15. basketballholic

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yule C

DD

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

DMo's like 25 years old, what he know about negotiations? It's BJ's job to advise him and tell him the remifications of his actions, not the other way around so I don't know why BJ will take orders from DMo on how to do his contract posturing. That's why you hire an agent in the first place, so he can handle all this tricky contract negotiation stuff because in theory he is more experienced while you know nothing about it.

RudyTBag and DreamShook like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not absolving blame from DMO. In the end it is up to him.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Stop and pop are you serious. Low post game, yes. Occasional three point jumper yes. But stopping and popping Hahaha no sir.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's fair to see why a player would not want to play for less than the MLE in the new CBA, if he can get Morey to stop being cheap, good for him, if he can't.....well he should have signed the QO, so he can enjoy the time off as a result.