1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

And it's a great way to stay in shape.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This looks really cool, but without games, who cares?

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The best part about this console is that it is home and portable in one. Nintendo makes great games but simply can't support 2 systems at the same time if they are the main supplier of games. IF they are combining their portable and console studios into just making switch games, then they should have one heck of a lineup. Any 3rd parties they get would just be icing on the top.

And since having 3 kids, I have really taken a liking to the portables. I play vita and 3ds much more than my consoles at the moment. I really like that it is cart based. That should mean less load times.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Here's the thing though: Nintendo has a bunch of great games. For the 3DS. The USA is all about console & PC gaming (this includes me), while Japan is all about handhelds (which is why most of Nintendo's best stuff, in particular best 3rd-party stuff, is on the 3DS).

If they stop supporting the 3DS and say everything should be released on the Switch, regardless of whether it's targeted at the USA or the Japan market, then in theory, keeping 3rd-party support should be less of an issue. Developers could make their games for one platform and release to both markets, rather than having to pick one market to target.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeez. Nintendo sucks post N64... I hope this changes that.

I am impressed that they have Skyrim running on there.

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  7. what

what Member

Delete, you are talking about wii u.

But still the switch won't do anywhere near as good as the wii, and probably will only be marginally better than the wii u, which is bad for microsoft.

#47 what, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm having a record month in sales so I was finally going to spoil myself with a PS4... but now I'm going to wait. This looks perfect for the house when my fiancée wants to watch tv with me and I want to play 2k.

RudyTBag and LCAhmed like this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have owned the PS4 since launch day. I would wait for this if you can only get one.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

just saw this thread and hearing about this thing...looks gimmicky. i get the whole its a home console + portable...but i've never been a big portable gaming unit guy. then again i don't ride transit or have a long commute where i sit in traffic for long stretches....maybe thats what its catered too? what am i missing from the video in the first post in terms of a home unit? looks just like its saying "look! you can take this on the go! then come home and play it like a wii"

11. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Looks like Nintendo is still catering to little kids. Sad

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

While software is obviously their strength, their consoles have been mostly good, IMO, but they have gone after a family friendly market rather than the 15-40 year olds that probably make up most core gamers.
    Yeah, I'd say you most likely see a similar thing happen regarding 3rd party titles. They start out there, but dry up fast as developers realize it isn't worth it. Most major titles are bought by gamers that are going to buy Playstation or Xbox anyway.
    The Wii was a large success. The main thing is that they haven't done much to chase the core gamer market. This will still be more niche, but I'm very excited about it.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is the main idea. A console you can take with you. I would have loved this growing up. Even now I could see wanting to take it with me traveling or to work. Waiting for Dr appointments.

14. LCAhmed

Reasons why this system would make sense for me:
    -Oil Changes (just sat 3 hours this past Saturday and killed my phone)
    -DMV
    -Any appointments where there is a waiting room (generally 30 mins- 1 1/2 hour wait)
    -Airport and plane rides
    -In the car and I am not driving
    -I'm laying in bed and I don't want to get out of bed to play in the Living room
    -visiting family or family friends where I don't need to be interacting with them the entire time.
    -When I have to drop a deuce

15. VanityHalfBlack

I'm buying this.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With this thing being portable and somewhat powerful (compared to something like a DS) I would have expected them to have at least thrown in a brief moment of someone watching a YouTube video or Netflex or SOMETHING that would indicate this will be more than a gaming console, right? They wouldn't create this thing and then not have some other media type apps available too, would they?

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I wish you could play all the classic NES, SNES and 64 games on it. :(

18. LCAhmed

You'd be surprised.

I'm sure you'll eventually be able to root and mod this to do so.

19. VanityHalfBlack

If you still have any of those systems you can just get an Everdrive with a built in SD loader and load the roms yourself. I have one for the NES, and it's glorious.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't know his gaming personality, maybe it would be perfect for him. But as of right now basically all of the premier games (save for Zelda) aren't available on Nintendo. If you actually play video games this is a supplement for your console (or pc), not a replacement.

Nintendo is effectively leaving the home console market to Sony and Microsoft. They are trying something completely different with a console/mobile hybrid, and if supported (and priced) correctly it could be a brilliant gambit. Having said that, if you are the type that wants to play GTA, Fallout, Uncharted,COD, Battlefield etc. this shouldn't have any impact on you right now.

The fact that developers are still gonna have to nerf their games to port it to Nintendo still leaves me concerned that this will suffer the same fate the WiiU did.